Question for those who aren't Keto...

Options
Those of you who eat lowish carb- ~50-75 grams= What do you eat to get up to the 50 or so grams of carb? I've been Ketogenic for a long time and am curious- how would I even start to increase? Do you just eat a lot more vegetables? Do you eat fruit, root veg.?? I'm thinking about changing things up a bit but the thought kind of scares me.

Replies

• McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My carbs are veggies, heavy whipping cream and yogurt. I don't eat root veg because it will cause cravings. Sometimes I eat raspberries and strawberries.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Fruit, peanut butter, nuts, milk and yogurt. 50 grams is often still keto, well supposedly. I'm not interested in trying to figure that stuff out
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    carbs and nuts. I've actually been eating some popcorn this week (measured out) and still lost weight. I'm usually around 40 net carbs a day.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I recently upped my carbs from <20g to <50g. I mostly did it to feel less restricted and have not hit 50 that I recall but have more flexibility to eat things like: beets, carrots, tomatoes, brussel sprouts, onions, cabbage while still eating the usual lower carb vegetables like leafy greens, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. I happen to really like vegetables and seeing a pile of them on my dinner plate makes me happy.

Eating a little higher carbs allows the above + full fat plain yogurt, coconut, a few nuts/seeds, raspberries without causing me undue, self imposed anxiety. Additionally, I'm chief cook in my house and we enjoy soups in the winter. I kinda refuse to not put a few peas and corn in my vegetable beef soup though I'll pass on ham and bean soup or split pea soup. I've not ventured into the likes of potatoes/rice/pasta and don't plan to. I did have a couple ounces of sweet potato the other day.

My added vegetables are mentally fulfilling for me at this time. I don't pee on sticks but common telltale signs indicate I am still in ketosis which is important to me since I eat keto for a medical reason other than weight (in maintenance for 2+ years).
  • kpk54
    Options
    Adding to my post above: that's 50 TOTAL carbs for me, not net. I tend to "play games" with this total versus net when I choose to. It's just me. I'm not disputing science. Example: for whatever reason, I like flaxseed meal in my yogurt-4 grams of carbs versus 0.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    potatoes and rice are probably my largest source of carbs
  • kpk54
    Options
    Oops! I just re-read the title. Sorry. I must have skipped the "aren't keto" part and focused on the 50-75. :*
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    When I'm trying to stay under 100g total, I have yogurt w/cocoa and PB for breakfast, cashews and big *kitten* salad for lunch, lots of veggies and a serving of beans (black beans, lentils, and etc. usually 1/2cup) with my meat at supper. I can sometimes fit in a small/medium serving of fruit. Net carbs for that is usually close to 75g.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I go in and out of keto as I am supporting family going thru tough times. If someone has made something healthy (non-processed)...carrots, beans), I may indulge but I limit what I do so it is easy to go back into keto.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I started with just greek yogurt, then regular yogurt mixed with GY, then pumpkin, then added in oats (not instant garbage), then added glucose to my post-lifting shake, and now I'll throw down in rice cakes ever so often.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    More veggies with higher carb counts, no white potatoes nor white rice, they make me crave carbs too much. I cooked up the 1/4 cup dry 1 serving amount and added it to a stew that made 8 servings, that worked ok for me. I try to stay around 40-60 total grams. Sugar alcohols don't seem to work for me, so I will occasionally use a teaspoon of locally sourced honey during allergy season as that helps with my allergies. A portion of apple or prunes if I "need" more fibery stuff.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    More veggies, especially big, satisfying salads, staying away from the starchy ones like potatoes and carrots. No grains of any kind (more for digestive health reasons than carb count restrictions.) Full fat yogurt, occasional full fat cottage cheese in small amounts. Carefully measured fruit servings. VERY carefully measured servings of nuts, because I luvvers them. Peanut butter made without sugar. I stayed under 50 net grams when losing; between 50 and 75 is my maintenance level. I never bothered about being in ketosis or not but probably wasn't since I didn't experience any of the common side effects.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Ditto the above foods for me, few potatoes and rice. I have my version of this with flaxmeal included for those sluggish days :smile: http://www.djfoodie.com/Chia-Fauxtmeal
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I actually have a 4 ounce baked redskin potato once or twice a week and it does not cause me any cravings but it REALLY fills me up for many hours.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    When I am not eating keto I stay at around 75gm carbs. I add in small bits of fruit, some potato, small servings of oatmeal, and yogurt.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Veggies. Some fruits. Occasionally rice or potato (but I eat much less of those than I used to.) My carb goal is 80, but some days I am around 50 and some days 100.