Exercise Type For More Losses???

Options
Okay so I need to start exercising. I have lost those 36 pounds with mainly walking at work and hardly ever sitting in my class when I teach. Pounds are staying put now, and I still need to be more fit. So, heavy weights or HIIT? I have seen some posts on other sites with pics where folks say they are lifting heavy and they are losing fast and look great. Never done HIIT. I lifted off and on during college and in my early 30's. Or any other suggestions? Thanks

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Weights so you don't end up skinnyfat.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I'd say lift weights, but also make sure you still get in some cardio. Running really drops the pounds combined with lifting. You'll just need to play around and see what works for you as we are all different. Good luck!!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Not sure how heavy or fit you are @collegefbfan but for me, being quite heavy still, I find lifting weights much more enjoyable, which means I'm much more likely to keep up with it. HIIT requires a bit more athleticism, energy and flexibility than I have right now. Though I do hope to be able to increase the intensity and variation of my exercise regime as I lose more weight and become more fit.

IMO the exercise that will help you the most is the exercise that you enjoy enough to keep doing every day.

I agree with this post. Find something you enjoy and it won't feel like a chore. I only run for buses and if someone is chasing me, but I absolutely love lifting. I could lift everyday if my body didn't need time to recover. If I liked cardio, I would do it more but I haven't found an activity I enjoy yet.

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @PaleoInScotland hit it on the head with needing to find something you enjoy so you will stick with it.

The advantage to lifting is that when you build muscle, that muscle burns calories all day even when not exercising, so it raises your base metabolism.

HIIT is great, but, if you are not really into working out and "feeling the burn," you will hate it and likely give up. It will also raise your base metabolism, but is much harder. I would liken HIIT to what we had to do in two a days for football back in HS, where we would have to go all out on something for a short period (i.e. sprint from the goal line to the 50 and back) and then have that short break where the other 2-3 people in our line did the same and then we would do it again. It is a similar concept. As a teenager, this was killer. As someone who is fast approaching 50......uh, no thanks.

I would encourage keeping some cardio in your workout, though. You don't want to just do weights. If you look at the guys who are competitive power lifters, they look fat because they only focus on the heavy lifting. You need at least some cardio to stay balanced.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose don't watch the scale for confirmation that it's "working". Exercise always works for better overall health. There should never be any doubt that it's works.
    But the scale often takes a little jump upward upon starting new exercise and if you're a scale watcher, which I recall you are, it may get your head all in knots! Lol Don't let it. And be aware that you may feel increased hunger too. You'll want to be prepared with a plan to prevent overeating because of it.

That said, I hate exercise. I've tried different things and I never could stick to anything for more than a couple weeks. Lifting weights has been the only thing that I found that I am able to be consistent with. In my case, I have not experienced any additional weight loss since starting but I also have very little left to lose and needed more muscle so I'm probably just trading fat for muscle. I hope anyway.
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    yeah the wife and kids got me a bike for fathers day.. I haven't ridden it much... too out of shape to then. almost 40 pounds lighter.. should be about ready to
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Haven't had enough time lately for exercise. I know that's an excuse, but I'm using it! :) I do really like Yoga when I get the chance. It can kick your butt and might be a good jumping off point for someone who wants to start with something that is lower intensity.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Counting calories eventually gets to be critical

Low carb and lower calories has gotten me to single digit body fat at certain times of the year
  • The_MrsMoser
    The_MrsMoser Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm working with a trainer and he has me doing HIIT and some light lifting (focusing on glutes and legs) with him once a week, and a whole lot of cardio (elliptical and step mill... 1.5 hours x 4 days a week) It's been pretty intense and I actually gained a pound in my first four weeks, but I had 4% fat loss... Now in the last week and a half I'm down 4 lbs :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You don't have to like exercise to do it. You just have to do it.

Pick any of the suggestions offered by others. Do it. For your health. I like fitnessblender videos. Pick 3 that are about 20 minutes and do a 20-20-20. Beats stretching out on the recliner in regards to fitness every time.

ETA: I'm laughing at my choice of words. I don't "like" fitnessblender. I "choose" fitnessblender because it offers such a variety and I figure I can endure 20-30 minutes of anything even back to back.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I agree that you have to find something you like, maybe not LOVE IT, but like it.
    Have you checked out this thread? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky#latest

Cardio is for heart health, first and formost, if you like it, do it 2-3X a week, if not just walk more. If you like lifting, do that 2-3X per weekd, between the two, get atleast 3-5 hrs. of exercise, you'll be fitter then.

I personally know people who lost weight and kept it off without exercising at all but I am not willing to eat that low caloried and with such a limited selection of foods. So I do exercise and watch total calories. YMMV.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    There's great feedback here already, but I want to add my vote for doing BOTH the heavy weights and HIIT.

If you CAN do HIIT - even small bouts of it - it's amazing to add to your heavy weight-training regime.

When I'm not nursing my back I try to do 3x HIIT workouts per week and 3x weight-training workouts per week - with one rest day.

The reason why HIIT benefits you is several fold:
    • HIIT improves insulin-sensitivity ... more than either steady-state cardio or weight-training. Improved insulin-sensitivity is something many low-carb dieters need/want. Personally, no other form of exercise has done as much to improve my blood glucose levels,
    • HIIT increases both free-testosterone and HGH levels ... meaning your weight-training has the HGH/Test it needs if you are looking to increase muscle. (*Note you do need a slight surplus of calories to increase muscle ... so this may or may not be a benefit atm), and;
    • HIIT allows for a faster workout than steady-state cardio or heavy weight-training. It's amazing the benefit you can get in only a few short minutes, or even better with 20 minutes ... (you work up to that!).
    Just my 2c!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I vote for both, weights and hiit, and while you are at it some core/abs and yoga/stretching would be good to throw in...but then, I'm a fan of mixing it up to avoid boredom!!!