Eating When Lonely

Options
Hi All.....any advice or tips you can share would be great.

I'm feeling really great today after last nights workout and will get back to the gym tonight but here's my struggle.... I've never been good on my own or a person that likes too much alone time. I love being around people and have always had someone to share my life with.....well knowing I'm an emotional eater and knowing that this weekend I'm going to have a lot of alone time I'm trying to prepare a game plan ahead of time so I don't end up eating my feelings and then feeling worse.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I'm worried about being alone in a house full of food, I'll often find a reason to leave the house. Maybe you could go to the gym a couple of times over the weekend- try out a new class if your gym offers them. Or going downtown to the stores is always a good distraction, especially this time of year I'd look for gift ideas for the holidays. If house-bound, I'd try to distract myself with a house project, like organizing my closet.

Good luck!
  • th1nr
    th1nr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate. I have social anxiety and often eat as a result of the stress that comes along with that. But after binge eating I feel bad about myself which leads to avoiding other people more and making the problem worse.
    My advice would be to keep busy as much as possible, try to keep out of the house and at home try to do things with your hands like cleaning or making crafts. I like painting and listening to music, which also allows me to express myself. I can't be eating while I'm doing art so it works out. You could also knit while watching tv (if you're a tv watcher) or maybe play an instrument. It's anything to keep your hands and mind active.
  • th1nr
    th1nr Posts: 42 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    -duplicate-
  • fox_mnl
    fox_mnl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We are emotional not just with food. Ive been thinking lately that i should just my *kitten* together. Let the guts drive you. Let spark of life guide you. Lets get out of the bubble we live in. Food is where we turn to to feel full and complete. Its temporary though. So lets try to get to know our inner selves and needs more. Help me to help you. Thank you.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    eating when lonely is my single most unrelenting problem eating pattern. I am pretty good at using strategies most of the week, but Friday night to Sunday night is a battle every week. Even when I socialize... as soon as I come home it's "binge on."
    Still trying to fight the fight, this next 10 days or so are emotionally brutal for me...so I'm being kind to myself for lapses, getting back on tbe horse, and making plans for hitting the ground running after the holidays are in my rear view mirror.

Just want to acknowledge to myself that progress was made this year and significant losses were somewhat maintained this year. So, yay, me!

May our days be merry and bright, fitness pals!!
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I hate this time of year! Miss my mom- stressed out by my in laws- cold as ... kindness to ourselves is vital! We will
    Get through and on to better days! You may feel lonely, you are not alone!