Yoga? Hey, why not?

Options
MostlyWater
MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
At spin today - where I was dressed as Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer mind you - I was grousing that I didn't think I was getting stronger at spin. The trainer suggested I add a yoga class or 2 to my roster - to which I said, why not?

Replies

• Bordergirl14
    Bordergirl14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's pretty tough to come up with any reason not to try yoga. I've been doing it regularly for about 10 years now and I love it. I found that it helped me gain a lot of strength, particularly in my core, which would probably help you with spin. In addition, part of what your missing with spin could be due to poor muscle recovery if you are pretty active so yoga could be helpful for that too. Good luck, hope you love it!
  • John1643
    John1643 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I bounce from dabbling to addicted, it really is great for developing your upper body and just what it does for your posture. If your taking an athletic vinyasa classes I think that's all you need to tone up arms shoulders and chest. I don't find it's enough for my lower body - I need weights, squats, plyometric moves to tone/strenghen there.
  • orangespd
    orangespd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree! Although I haven't done as much as I'd have liked to this year, yoga has always been a great way to exercise. I love it especially because it does help tone your muscles, especially arms and legs, but it also helps to stretch those parts of our body that are too often neglected. I find that it helps to quiet my mind as well, making me less prone to unnecessary snacking ;)
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Yoga isn't my only workout! I spin three mornings a week and do weights three mornings a week. this is just something addition, during lunch, once or twice a week.
  • ArinNDA
    ArinNDA Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You're definitely right, why not give it a try!

I signed up for yoga for the first time just this summer. It's amazing how much it chills me out/calm me down. It's overall a great experience -- specially if the instructor is good.

I had to give up my membership tho, because it got a bit expensive. However, I still continue to do yoga using the Down Dog app. It's pretty good.

• EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    yoga is my go to every day! have been a yogi for years, hot power vinyasa yoga...all you will ever need to tone and define! the best part is it quiets my mind...for one hour the outside world does not exist!
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Also, don't get discouraged if the first yoga you try is not your thing. There are a lot of different class types. For example, I hate vinyasa with a passion (flowing sequence from one pose to the next) but I don't mind static poses and I really like kundalini yoga (which I do every day).
  • lps1dragonfly
    lps1dragonfly Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love yoga! I use the sworkit app and do yoga from there. I haven't been to any classes or trainers but I would love to (just don't have time in my schedule). I think yoga is amazing; the stretching and core strength and the meditation from it really fuels me and makes me ready to crush my goals ;)
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I took a beginner yoga class on Friday and quite enjoyed it. I have gone to maybe 10 yoga classes in my life but had no idea what I was doing and just tried to keep up with instructor. But this class was great as she explained what we were doing and the names of the postures etc. Hubby got me a 10 pass so I will definitely enjoy this.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    I tried a few classes before I found something that I can put up with. Unfortunately this week I could not attend so I took an extra abs class. Not too bad.
  • zimmermantrisha
    zimmermantrisha Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I enjoy looking up yoga videos online when I cannot get to the class, which is nice because it makes it more flexible. Although, it is nice when you can go and get the full experience too. :) I found yoga has helped my state of mind a lot, made me more aware of my body and why it's important to treat it right.
  • bko722
    bko722 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love the Yoga with Adriene series on YouTube. She's funny, great for beginners. I'm doing her 31 day challenge right now and it is a calming, stretching series that I tend to do before bed. It compliments the cardio and strength I do as well.
  • kellyshell215
    kellyshell215 Posts: 98 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yoga classes are really fun calm and relaxing. I love yoga, whether if it's an online class or not, specially the vinyasa and yin yoga. My favourite online are Leigha Butler, Tara Stiles, Lesley Fightmaster, Yoga with Tim and Ali Kamenova (she does lot of intense type kind of power vinyasa and interval yoga).

For beginners Lesley Fightmaster and Yoga with Adrienne (I've never done her video though I've heard good things about her).
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    thanks, everyone, who responded .... 'ppreciate it!
  • Serqita
    Serqita Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Zumba is good workout