Fell off the wagon, need tips

Options
JennifrClaire
JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
edited December 2016 in Social Groups
After doing so well low-carbing for about 18 months, I've found myself eating just "just a wee bite" of high carb food, always sweet things, at least once a day, this past month. Now we're heading into Christmas, I'm really struggling to get out of this habit.
Any one experience this situation?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    When a doctor told Mark Twain to cut back on his cigars, he said he couldn't. He said he could quit, but he couldn't cut back.

I bring this up because I think it is much easier for most of us to just avoid the carbage completely than to try to limit it. My suggestion is to not even touch any of it. Go more strict than you ever have and include cutting artificial sweeteners because those often trigger cravings for more sweets. If you spend 4-6 weeks without touching any of this, you will find things you didn't think of as sweet, sweet. If you fall off the wagon and taste some one of those sweets with which you are struggling now, they will taste sickening sweet and you won't want it.

I agree because this is exactly what I had to do. I even avoid low carb sweets.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I try to formalise how much of the sweet thing I will have before I start. I had a bite of a cookie the other week, but just one. A girl I work with was handing out mateasiers(?) and I decided in my head I'd have no more than 5 (but stopped at 2). Are you eating enough? Drinking enough water? I find it much easier to turn down snacks and other junk when I'm full. When I'm really hungry/ haven't eaten for a while is where I struggle

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    When a doctor told Mark Twain to cut back on his cigars, he said he couldn't. He said he could quit, but he couldn't cut back.

Great line. That's Cliff notes for Addiction 101 - pretty much sums it up.

(BTW, the only difference between Twain and W.C. Fields is that the latter would have sneered at both non-options.)

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

(BTW, the only difference between Twain and W.C. Fields is that the latter would have sneered at both non-options.)

Something tells me W.C. Fields did not deprive himself of anything.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Something tells me W.C. Fields did not deprive himself of anything.

Except for virtue and moderation, perhaps.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I caved recently and had a few pieces of dark chocolate. I am glad I did because I had been using fat bombs to curb my dark chocolate cravings. I realized I prefer the fat bombs to dark chocolate bars now. Fat bombs are simply raw cacao powder, coconut oil, a touch of stevia liquid, and I add coconut flavored extract, almond extract along with vanilla extract. I love these now, I walk right by my old favorite aisle in the grocery now.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I caved recently and had a few pieces of dark chocolate. I am glad I did because I had been using fat bombs to curb my dark chocolate cravings. I realized I prefer the fat bombs to dark chocolate bars now. Fat bombs are simply raw cacao powder, coconut oil, a touch of stevia liquid, and I add coconut flavored extract, almond extract along with vanilla extract. I love these now, I walk right by my old favorite aisle in the grocery now.

Stealing this.
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Dark chocolate is the biggest weakness.

I can't begin to count the number of times I have stood in a store and fondled a dark chocolate bar only to drool and put it back on the shelf, go back, drool some more, fondle the package then put it back on the shelf. I know me. 1 piece would never be enough.

Some may argue the physical addiction of sweets/sugar/carbs whatever one wants to call them but I look at the "behavioral aspect" of an "addiction" also. Obviously the thoughts of chocolate cause me behaviors, abnormal to my being. I've never fought the urge regarding a carby bag of frozen peas like I do with chocolate. :/

I've done this too! We eventually bought some Ghirardelli squares Intense Dark and they are still in the freezer. Think it was just the thought of chocolate for me.

• can111
    can111 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. Its the truth. I really had to go cold turkey. Yesterday was my first sugar free day in weeks.
    I stopped eating sugar years ago. before I even went low carb, but its like smoking. I'm so crazy addicted, I am back on it in the second I let my guard down.
    I've even put back on a couple pounds now.
    Dark chocolate is the biggest weakness. And home made cake. All other carbs I can happily do without forever- bread, spuds, rice, pasta, etc. Don't miss them at all.
    So day two, onward and upward.
    Thanks again!

I'm the same. I compare it to cigarettes too. I cannot just have a little bit of sweets. It just makes me want more - it wakes up the cravings. I try to tell myself I'll have a little and then i'll be satisfied. ohmygod no! it just makes me want more and more. I've read here a couple times about people getting sick when they are off the carbs then back on. I would almost welcome this. My big thing is SUGAR.
  • Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ughhhh! I am still struggling. My husband argues sugar is not addicting but for me it is. I did 5 weeks no problem. Gave n2 cravings at Thxgiving and now Im struggling. What do u do when ur head is telling u 'its the season, go ahead an have just one'?
  • akroach7
    akroach7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My few bites used to knock me out of ketosis and take me a week or more to get back in. Sugar is so addicting. It takes me 3 days to detox from it. I found that erythitol has no after taste, comes in powered sugar form and won't raise my blood sugar. So I make fudge out of erythitol, coconut oil, butter, and cocoa powder (peanut butter sometimes). A little bit a day solves my cravings and helps me get through the 3 detox days.
    Recently, I've discovered ketone products: Ketone O2 and julianbakery has one. Puts you back in ketosis in 1 hour. Sure beats the week or more I use to do. Not that it means I could eat junk now! (ok, I thought about it!) But, it sure helps the devil on my shoulder that convinces me one bite won't hurt. Then I beat myself up for a long time for being so stupid.
    I hope this helps.