Liquid food diet

Options
This group and everyone has been so supportive and provided some much advice. This post is once again asking for your advice and ideas.

I have issues with a wisdom tooth and complications with this have caused me severe tmj issues. Basically my jaw will only open 1 inch and it hurts like he'll to move. My consultant has told me I have to be on a liquid food diet for atleast one month to rest the joints and muscles.

I'm absolutely gutted by this because I had planned so well for christmas to still be low carb, with lots of fatty meats, eggs, cheese, nuts and dark chocolate bought already.

I have no idea what I will be able to eat over the next month, all I can think of is broth and cream. Does anyone have any ideas or recipes.

Just to confirm, I'm allowed anything as long as it's smooth and requires no chewing at all.

Thanks

Replies

• kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    you could get a nutribullet and smoothie everything - because it blends all the fiber it is quite filling, it will also make soup.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Pureed foods, medically approved for your specific needs.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yogurt (full fat Greek), soups and protein shakes are good but they get boring after awhile. Buy a good blender - it will be your best friend for the next month (I recommend something like a Ninja). Anything that you would normally eat will go thru a blender and can be 'eaten' as a smoothie or shake. I know this from experience - several years ago (back when I was a young pup and the dinosaurs still roamed the earth :D ), I had reconstructive jaw surgery and was on a liquid/soft diet for 3 1/2 months - the only thing that I really missed was the actual process of chewing - I still ate pretty much everything that I had eaten before the surgery.

Any food that doesn't have to be chewed also works - for example, scrambled eggs can be swallowed in small enough bites as can ground meat (as long as you break it into small enough pieces while you cook it).
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Lots of bone broth and maybe add collagen for extra protein?
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Low carb protein powder with some added heavy cream or coconut cream. And you could add some more unflavoured protein powder to your puréed veggie soups. I highly recommend a handheld emulsion blender.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Great advice already! Do the best you can with this and let the rest go. I'm dealing with my own post op liquid diet right now. My favorite is the cream of whatever soups right now. They aren't low carb, but are keeping the nutrition adequate. I'm eating protein shakes too. Again, not low carb, but are keeping me alive. Get the nutrition in as best you can. Once you can eat solid food again you can remain low carb. Hope the healing goes well! Btw: I still have two weeks before I can chew food (from having part of my small intestine removed due to ulcers eating through the wall), but will be pureed until six weeks post op.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes with added MCT oil to help increase the fats. Of course the MCT oil is a good add for anything you put in the blender mentioned above since it doesn't change the flavor but gets you the good fats you want.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Find a few protein powder flavors you really like, add a nut butter of your choice, win at life. That's the base for most of my sludge recipes, but you can add as much or as little liquid as you like to get the desired consistency. Blending in raw eggs works really well too, and gives it an awesome milkshake like consistency.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Do you drink BPC? When I want something more substantial I will put a scoop of protein powder (Trader Joe's has a 0 carb soy protein powder) and a square of Ghirardelli 100% cocoa unsweetened chocolate in my BPC before blending.
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You can get low fat muscle milk at Costco that has 20g of protein and only 5g of carb, or Premier Protein liquid with 30g of protein and 4g of carb. If it is too much protein for one meal, I drink only half of a container. It comes in vanilla or chocolate and I think it tastes alright. They are both quite nutritionally sound and are glued free. You could check them out anyway if you are close to a Costco, or Walmart sells them too.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Protein shakes with added MCT oil to help increase the fats. Of course the MCT oil is a good add for anything you put in the blender mentioned above since it doesn't change the flavor but gets you the good fats you want.

Yup yup. MCT oil is liquid at room remperature so it won't clump up in the cold like coconut oil does.

How long do you have to do this? I tried a liquid diet as an experiement, using a DIY ketochow. I intended to go 30 days and only last 6 days. It was rough. *might* try it again at some point after a recipe tweak, but it's not something I'm super eager to do.
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Massive thank you for all your ideas. I have to do this for a month, started on Tuesday in all honestly the pain and painkillers have wiped out my appetite but I can't expect that to last for a month. Up until now I've just had broth. I have to have a plan for when I get hungry.

I guess I'll have to go get a decent blender now as all I have at the moment is a small basic one. I'm worried blitzing normal meals might end up tasting like baby food which just the thought of makes me want to gag.

Do you have any suggestions on brands and where to get the low carb protein powder, mct oil and collagen? I'm in the UK.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Also get the thick straws and a spoon that you can comfortable put into your mouth, so you can eat things like a finely chopped up omelette, scrambled eggs, rice (I know not low carb) cauliflower rice, (there are some great recipes of egg fried rice, no chewing needed)

Cream of "anything" soup.

And:

Sweede mash:
    500g sweede
    1 carrot
    1 potato
    0.5ml or more cream
    40g or more butter
    Salt pepper and a pinch of nutmeg

Boil the veg, drain and mash them all, cream and butter to taste, same with the spices. Tastes amazing, lowish carbs and the cream and butter can be adjusted to suit your needs. We eat this for Christmas and with sausages, dumplings, meats etc. I eat it on its own when I need comfort food. Finely chopped fried bacon makes it taste even better, and adds some protein, I usually ensure all the juices are included, I scrape the pan. The consistency is like potato mash.

You can also make hot chocolate from the dark chocolate.

Muller rice if you do not mind the carbs.

Quark - great soft cheese, high protein, I like the vanilla version, purée some berries or mash them and mix in for an amazing dessert. So tasty.

Purée spaghetti bolognese with corgette noodles instead of the spaghetti.

Or just make the bolognese, make sure the pieces are tiny or purée the lot.

Bone broth from the leftover bones from dinners.

Mix aubergines with cocoa powder, mash it, put it in the freezer for a great low carb creamy ice cream.

Turkey noodle soup, broth, very small pieces of rice noodles, small shredded pieces of turkey, as in small strands. Spices that suits you.

Miso soup if you can handle the taste. (Too fishy for me)

The food processor will be your best friend, anything can be puréed. You can eat it all, just make sure there are no chunks.

Don't purée the full meal in one unless soup, you can do veg and gravy, vegetables separate etc which does not make it taste like baby food.

You can even purée bacon, make scrambled eggs and enjoy bacon and eggs for breakfast. Just be inventive :)
  • jamitchell77
    jamitchell77 Posts: 11 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My friend had something similar happen but it was nerve damage in her jaw and she has it for 6 months. Interesting enough she "fixed" hers when she went to a Maroon 5 concert and spent 2 hours screaming her love for Adam Levine. Maybe he's better than a protein shake? Anyway back to what she did… On Amazon.com they have a no chewing cookbook. I think it runs about $10-$15 and it might be worth the money to have variety in your diet. A lot of the recipes for low-carb by default.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's better than a protein shake?

0ySZBRO.jpg

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ has shared a link previously that had lots of shake recipes. I can't seem to find it. Perhaps tagging her will get her to add it here
  • grafixfrh
    grafixfrh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Nutribullet is perfect for this situation you can just puree all of your foods and even use a large diameter straw to drink the puree food. I have made puree soups, green smoothies and have even puree whole meals when trying to give my digestive system a break when my colon perforated.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Massive thank you for all your ideas. I have to do this for a month, started on Tuesday in all honestly the pain and painkillers have wiped out my appetite but I can't expect that to last for a month. Up until now I've just had broth. I have to have a plan for when I get hungry.

I guess I'll have to go get a decent blender now as all I have at the moment is a small basic one. I'm worried blitzing normal meals might end up tasting like baby food which just the thought of makes me want to gag.

Do you have any suggestions on brands and where to get the low carb protein powder, mct oil and collagen? I'm in the UK.

Most of MyProtein's whey concentrates and isolates are 1g per serving. The concentrates tend to be a little higher fat, while the isolates are higher protein. With them being a UK based corp, they're probably your best bet. Impossible to beat their prices, even in the states, and their quality is second to none.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ has shared a link previously that had lots of shake recipes. I can't seem to find it. Perhaps tagging her will get her to add it here

It was likely for Able James (fat burning man) green smoothies. Sorry I can't look for a link right now but his website should be pretty easy to find them on.