advice for a sleeve newb

Options
mcapote3
mcapote3 Posts: 10 Member
Im 2 months post op today. I seem to be struggling with getting a consistent weight loss. I walk about 3-4miles per day according to fitbit, I eat around 800 cals per day 100g of protein(dr said 100g because of my muscle mass). yet ive lost only 24lbs post op but lost 23lbs on my 2 week preop which consisted of no exercise. Im currently 367lbs so weight should be flying off at 800 cals right? I know people have stalls but in a 2 month post op having 1.5 months of stalls? what am i doing wrong?

Replies

• mcapote3
    Options
    well seeing how i lost 23lbs in 2 weeks preop. It seems like i should of continued that track at my size. atleast you would think. I guess im just frustrated at 3.5week stalls every month. especially when i see my surgery twins loosing triple and quadruple in the same timeframe.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what she said^^^^. Comparison is the thief of joy.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Are you male or female? That makes a difference, too.

Bottom line: when was the last time you lost 47 pounds in 2.5 months??!! :)

Also, if 3-4 miles a days is your normal activity, consider increasing it. Your body is already adjusted to the "normal" of that amount. Try building up to 20 extra minutes a day (to start with) of walking aerobically, not just wandering around the office or house. Another idea: I put a balance board in front of my desk at work (they gave me a cheap sit/stand desk, yay!) and it's really made a difference. I stand an hour in the morning, and another in the afternoon, about half of that on the balance board.

Give the tool a chance - drink all the water you can get down - and you'll see the changes happen! Hang in there!
  • mcapote3
    Options
    male, no 2.5 miles is a walk a group at work does with me at lunch time. ive only been doing it since i came back to work post op
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You are not doing anything wrong. 12lbs per month post-op is great. The pre-op diet is always a huge loss. You are only taking in liquids, so you lose a ton of water weight as well as cleaning out your bowels, flushing salt, etc.

Every person is different so don't compare your loss to others. I had my surgery on 08/18. I've lost 62lbs. A guy I work with had his surgery two months ago and has dropped 100lbs. You've lost 47lbs total which is nothing to sneeze at! I've also had a couple of stalls. The first was only about a month out and lasted a week, the second is the these last couple of weeks where instead of losing 2-3lbs per week, I lost .4lbs last week and 1.4lbs this week.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    mcapote3, sounds like you are doing just fine. I was what I considered a slow loser but I'm at goal weight now. It took me about 16 months to get there but I made it. Just keep following your nutritional guidelines and doctors orders and the weight will come off. I had stalls, the longest one was 28 days where the scales moved 1 ounce. It was tough because I thought I was at the end of my weight loss, which was 20 pounds from my goal. I increased my activity, made sure I stuck to the nutritional guidelines. Keep up the good work, don't compare yourself to other people (it's hard not to) and you'll do great.
  • Staashi
    Staashi Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Maybe you should try to change your workouts and investigate carb cycling. I know that it helps some people move through plateaus and onto a more consistent weight loss pattern.
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Twelve pounds a month is great, in my opinion. But, check your macros. How much grams of carbs are you eating? Also, I'm almost five months post op and I still can't eat 800 calories; let alone 100 grams of protein a day. As far as exercise, start adding weight training. It's gonna help you more in the long run to lose weight.