Recommendations for Carb Counting Book

Options
mandycat223
mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
I've been using thecaloriecounter.com that I accessed from my Kindle rather than my laptop because my Kindle is more convenient for multiple lookups per day. As just one more reason why I've become increasingly leery of amazon, they loaded a listening app onto my Kindle without my permission and refuse to let me delete it. ("Alexa" is a company wholly owned by amazon that makes money by tracking and selling your online information. I understand it's also capable of understanding and recording what you say in its presence. Gee, thanks for the free app, amazon.)

So I'm keeping my Kindle offline. Does anyone have a recommendation for a physical book to use for carb counting that concentrates on real food items? Quite a few books appear to think that we patronize restaurants and fast food joints 70% of the time, eat processed food 20% of the time and only cook with actual ingredients when all else fails. By the time you've plowed through a Cheesecake Factory Death by Sugar, why do you even want to know the nutritional information?

Replies

• blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I tried looking up the book I have at home and give you a link, but I can't find it right now. I've had it for five years. It's a simple calorie counter book that I found at my local bookstore. It's basically a dictionary of food items, but it also has the count for fat, fiber, carbs, sodium and (maybe) cholesterol. The book is a hefty size because of all the nutritional info for packaged food, but it's fairly easy to look up and find whole foods in there. The main reason I got this book was because I cook all my meals from scratch and wanted to calculate the nutritional info. It's faster than firing up the computer most days to look this info.

You could also look up the carb counter from Atkins. If I remember correctly, it's pocket size and specifically lists the carbs for whole foods only. I think I bought one, once, for less than $5.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The USDA offers an easily searchable web based tool, but it always used to be available as a downloadable PDF too. That's what I used to use before MFP existed.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Calorie King is a good resource. They have an online database for calories, carbs, etc. and a book they publish annually. The latest version on Amazon is here: https://www.amazon.com/CalorieKing-Calorie-Carbohydrate-Counter-2017/dp/1930448678/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482454746&sr=1-1&keywords=calorie+counter

You could probably pick up an older one at a used book store for a dollar or two.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking my best bet (since amazon and I aren't on good terms anymore) is to trek down to my local Barnes and Noble and slog through paperbacks until I find what I need. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Sign up for new Atkins (free) on their website and they will send you their free pocket size carb count booklet and some free product in the mail. Then unsubscribe. I did just that. Cheap & easy..... that's me lol.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    ;)