The Popcorn Dilemma

Bonny132
Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
So I had this craving for popcorn, it has been steady for weeks. Just plain salty popcorn. Today I gave in. I bought my favourite brand, settled in with my favourite program and opened up the pack of deliciousness. After sniffing it, I took a great handful and literally showed it in my mouth, oh the flavour, the taste, the feeling, the consistency!!! It was nothing like my memories...
So I took another handful, put it in my mouth, and same result. Confused and stubborn, I took out 3 single popcorns and tasted each individually, and nothing...

I have beaten a craving, so I should feel over the moon, popcorn will no longer be this temptation I have to struggle against to ensure I do not give in, but at the same time, I am amazed how much my taste buds are changing. But I am more confused of how disappointed I felt when the popcorn I had craved did not taste all that good no more. I felt so sad, but why?

I wonder what will be next?

PS I have a half eaten bag of popcorn here if anyone wants it ;P

Replies

• poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    I would say that you are an overcomer! What a great accomplishment! I have noticed that my tastes have changed too, and I am very pleased. I am sorry that something that you used to enjoy is no longer enjoyable, but on the other had, I am glad that something that something that is not good for you is no longer enjoyable. Does that make sense? Anyway, good for you!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Try pork rinds. Better than popcorn IMO.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,182 Member
    I love pork rinds!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Try pork rinds. Better than popcorn IMO.

I love pork rinds and eat them frequently, but I have to be careful not to eat 3000 calories worth because they are so light.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Sprouts marinated in Veet?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited December 2016
    Sorry, but Smartfood White Cheddar Popcorn will always taste WAAAAAY better than pork rinds to me. Pork rinds are what I eat when I NEED crunch but they taste gross and the texture isn't always right - blecchhh.
    Front.jpg

As you probably can tell, I'm home from Jamaica... now I can randomly throw pix on my posts since I'm at my desktop instead of the tablet, lol.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited December 2016
    I see this a bit differently. As if an alcoholic had a drink after being sober for some time and didn't enjoy it like he remembered. If he feels sad about that, why? Probably something else emotional tied to the act other than the act itself. Or even that he was simply giving waaaay too much credit to how great it ever was in the first place. Probably that one really. There is a dopamine connection to food indulgences. Especially the ones we tended to binge on. You've broken the addiction. So this time around the dopamine reaction wasn't there quite the same as before. But, it could certainly get kicked right back into high gear if not mindful of it.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    I have never likened my cravings to that of an alcoholic before, but it makes sense. Salty popcorn has been the one thing I have struggled with, to go into a cinema and sit there for two hours when everyone around me are eating it, has been painful! But I know I can do it now, without feeling resentment of not having a tub myself. I had 20gr of salty popcorn yesterday, and the rest went into the bin. I never thought I would ever go off popcorn, been one of my favourite treats since I was a kid! Hence it came as such a surprise when it just tasted bland yesterday.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Homemade cheese crisps
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    If anyone finds themselves craving popcorn, my suggested remedy would be to sit near an office break room, where you have to smell microwave popcorn cooking and frequently burning for hour upon hour. I endured this for a couple of months in one job and have never been able to look a popcorn kernel in the face since. In psychological circles, I believe this is known as "aversion therapy."
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    I love the smell of burnt microwave popcorn :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    I don't like cinema popcorn, but the Smartfood cheddar or my own airpopped/nothing added popcorn is a different matter. I don't mind the scent of burnt microwave popcorn either @carlsoda.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    carlsoda wrote: »
    I love the smell of burnt microwave popcorn :)

absolute madman!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    So I had this craving for popcorn, it has been steady for weeks. Just plain salty popcorn. Today I gave in. I bought my favourite brand, settled in with my favourite program and opened up the pack of deliciousness. After sniffing it, I took a great handful and literally showed it in my mouth, oh the flavour, the taste, the feeling, the consistency!!! It was nothing like my memories...
    So I took another handful, put it in my mouth, and same result. Confused and stubborn, I took out 3 single popcorns and tasted each individually, and nothing...

I have beaten a craving, so I should feel over the moon, popcorn will no longer be this temptation I have to struggle against to ensure I do not give in, but at the same time, I am amazed how much my taste buds are changing. But I am more confused of how disappointed I felt when the popcorn I had craved did not taste all that good no more. I felt so sad, but why?

I wonder what will be next?

PS I have a half eaten bag of popcorn here if anyone wants it ;P

Maybe the birds in your yard on a snowy day, heck they don't even care if it is stale. Give it to them.

I was amazed last month when I had given into a dark chocolate bar. Samething for me, a few bites, then I was wondering why I had craved it. I use low carb coconut oil, raw cacao powder with stevia fat bombs now for any chocolate cravings now.