Low Carb Office Snacks

Options
2»

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    On the bright side, had you used milk instead of HWC, they would have been even runnier.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    On the bright side, had you used milk instead of HWC, they would have been even runnier.

Good point.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Someone suggested tortillas. Not for me, but maybe for others. I could have brought in a pack of low carb tortillas for me and whomever else wanted them... normal tortillas for the rest. Also would have wanted to bring in some sausage and hot sauce then. Hot sauce would be good for the eggs as they stand now anyway. I found 2 take-out packets of mild taco sauce in my desk and shared 1 with my closest co-worker who suggested that.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    By the way, I expected to be the only one to bring in something low carb. I figured others would bring carb heavy cookies, candy, etc. That was mostly right, except someone brought in a veggie tray and someone brought in venison sausages. Also, someone brought mushrooms in a slow cooker... low carb if quantity is really limited, I suppose.

Otherwise, 4 people brought cookies, 3 brought chocolates or similar type candies, 1 brought crackers and dip, 2 brought donuts, and someone brought several bags of croutons (not sure I understand that one). Not that I expect anyone to accommodate my WOE, but just that it highlights how carb-heavy things are this time of year.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Someone suggested tortillas. Not for me, but maybe for others. I could have brought in a pack of low carb tortillas for me and whomever else wanted them... normal tortillas for the rest. Also would have wanted to bring in some sausage and hot sauce then. Hot sauce would be good for the eggs as they stand now anyway. I found 2 take-out packets of mild taco sauce in my desk and shared 1 with my closest co-worker who suggested that.

Personally, I think hot sauce is good for most foods. I prefer fresh peppers, but that is not as convenient and not always possible, but hot sauce is generally a pretty easy option. Also, the peppers are usually better if they are cooked in with something like this rather than added after the fact. For eggs, Cholula is my favorite. I have about 8-10 different hot sauces at home. Cholula is probably the mildest one, but something about the flavor just goes really well with eggs.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I used red and green bell peppers. They are pretty bland, but I didn't want to bring something for the whole office that was spicy because there are going to be some who have a problem with that. A bottle of hot sauce on the side for those who want to add to it would have been a good idea.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @cstehansen Cholula is utterly awesome!!!! Our fridge is full of hot sauces too but that has always been my favorite because it's not just about heat. It has the richest multifaceted chili pepper flavour. I like to shake it straight into my mouth with each bite of cheese for a snack. Kinda like drinking from the milk carton, you probably don't want to use the bottle in our fridge lol.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @cstehansen Cholula is utterly awesome!!!! Our fridge is full of hot sauces too but that has always been my favorite because it's not just about heat. It has the richest multifaceted chili pepper flavour. I like to shake it straight into my mouth with each bite of cheese for a snack. Kinda like drinking from the milk carton, you probably don't want to use the bottle in our fridge lol.

hmmmm.....haven't tried that....yet.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

@canadjineh In the breakroom at work, two of my coworkers and I keep a 64oz Cholula ordered off Amazon.

And my 5-year-old asks for "the sauce with the wood top".

We love Cholula here.
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've had to do something similar twice in work since I started low carb last year. First time I did a cheese board and also supplied chutneys and crackers for those who weren't low carb. Second time I did an antipasti platter with lots of different cured meats with feta, sundried tomatoes in oil and olives for vegetarians.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Cholula?!
    Must. Find. Cholula.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Cholula?!
    Must. Find. Cholula.

http://www.cholula.com/find-store.html
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I think Tapatío is better than Cholula (Williams969 comes out with fists up, lol, but runs back under her rock).

I know I'm late to the holiday office party, but no bean chili (Butter Bob's recipe is great) is always a hit. Non keto peeps love it, and makes a good chip dip, too, if mixed with cream cheese. Needs a crock pot to keep melted.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I think Tapatío is better than Cholula (Williams969 comes out with fists up, lol, but runs back under her rock).

I know I'm late to the holiday office party, but no bean chili (Butter Bob's recipe is great) is always a hit. Non keto peeps love it, and makes a good chip dip, too, if mixed with cream cheese. Needs a crock pot to keep melted.

Oh, I should have done that. My low-er carb chili (which ends up being high carb because I eat it by the lb.) even includes bacon. There is a running joke around my office regarding bacon and me that continues to evolve over time. Long story as to how it started, and doesn't matter at this point.