Has anyone here used an Instant Pot for Keto meals?

Options
RAC56
RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
Hi folks,
I've never used a pressure cooker so I was kinda surprised by all the excitement online over the "Instant Pot" item. I've read about how great this is for beans which I don't eat now, but I was wondering if anyone here uses it for any of their Keto meals?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I just nabbed one at @auntstephie321's recommendation. Perhaps she'll share some keto tips.... ;)
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There is a Facebook Page for Keto/Very Low Carb Instant Potters. They share a lot of advice and recipes. I am a horrible cook, but so far everything I've made in the Instant Pot has been great. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1700398993513578/
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Not purely keto but yes. Both Ribs and Green Pork Chili are both awesome.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I just got one of these for christmas and am excited to start cooking in it once life goes back to normal!
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, it allows me to cook less expensive cuts of meat and have them turn out well
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I make Mississippi roast in mine a lot. I've also made a smoked paprika chicken and mushroom recipe, a whole chicken, curried lemon coconut chicken, Jamaican jerk pork roast, and a mocha-rubbed pot roast. It's great for pulled pork...just add low carb bbq sauce of choice. I also make boiled eggs in mine a lot. They peel perfectly!
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I love mine. I make Mississippi roast in mine a lot. I've also made a smoked paprika chicken and mushroom recipe, a whole chicken, curried lemon coconut chicken, Jamaican jerk pork roast, and a mocha-rubbed pot roast. It's great for pulled pork...just add low carb bbq sauce of choice. I also make boiled eggs in mine a lot. They peel perfectly!

I love mine too! And it really does make the perfect boiled eggs. The shells practically fall off. I put mine in for 6 minutes, release the steam, then put them in an ice bath. I also cook roast, pork tenderloin, cook chicken for other recipes (from frozen), soups, broth, etc. Any crock pot recipe can be converted to use in the pressure cooker. I made a crock pot potato soup (for my boys, not me) that normally takes all day ... 15 minutes in the instant pot. You can also sauté in it. It is a great time saver to be able to sauté ground beef, stew meat, etc, then add other soup ingredients. LOVE IT
  • RAC56
    Options
    Riche120 wrote: »
    There is a Facebook Page for Keto/Very Low Carb Instant Potters. They share a lot of advice and recipes. I am a horrible cook, but so far everything I've made in the Instant Pot has been great. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1700398993513578/

Thanks for the link but it takes me to a page asking me to sign in and I'm not a member of FB. If you come across anymore links that are open to all comers please do share. :)

For the sake of those of us here who are totally clueless about these pots, could some of you guys post some basic 'beginner' recipes for a roast, etc? I've always used a crock pot but it seems like these Instant Pots cook meat much faster while the end results still come out just as tender. Does anyone here do bone broth with their Instant Pot? I'd really like to buy one of these? I saw a Instant Pot/KETO cookbook at Amazon but it ended up not really being Keto. I was so thankful for the reviewers comments, lol.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I have one too thanks to @auntstephie321 I just love it! So far we've made a ton of hard boiled eggs, cheap roast beef into delicious roast beef, a whole chicken, pulled chicken breast and this coming weekend we are going to make pulled pork. The only thing I've noticed is you need to spice up your food more than you would regularly. But my gosh, it cooks fast! And load up on broth, everything needs to be cooked with at least 1 cup of water or broth for it to pressurize!
  • Riche120
    Options
    I've found a lot of recipes on Pinterest; search Instant Pot Keto Recipes and you will get all sorts of them. Searching for Paleo Instant Pot Recipes will also find a lot of recipes but you might need to look a little more closely at the ingredients to make sure they are low enough in carbs for your macros.

Here is one for making bone broth in 2 hours:
    http://ohlardy.com/make-bone-broth-instant-pot/
  • RAC56
    Options
    I've found a lot of recipes on Pinterest; search Instant Pot Keto Recipes and you will get all sorts of them. Searching for Paleo Instant Pot Recipes will also find a lot of recipes but you might need to look a little more closely at the ingredients to make sure they are low enough in carbs for your macros.

Thank you! I just ordered one, lol. I didn't even think of Pinterest or YouTube.
  • Riche120
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »

Thank you! I just ordered one, lol. I didn't even think of Pinterest or YouTube.

I hope you enjoy it! It's also so, so much easier to clean up after cooking than using the stove!

• mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Oh swell. Just when I was confident I owned very kitchen gadget I would ever want in my whole life, THIS pops up. Fortunately I've pretty much filled up all available storage space so I'll have to wait for one doodad to break before even thinking about an Instant Pot.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Oh swell. Just when I was confident I owned very kitchen gadget I would ever want in my whole life, THIS pops up. Fortunately I've pretty much filled up all available storage space so I'll have to wait for one doodad to break before even thinking about an Instant Pot.

Here's a possible fix:
    *Put doodad on burner;
    *Turn burner on high;
    *Go out and buy Instant Pot;
    *Throw out doodad when you get home.
    There!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm completely in love with mine! I haven't been keto for a bit now, but some of the things I've made in it would be. its amazing for shredded beef, or Mississippi pot roast. I love getting home after working all day and being able to throw a few things in it and an hour later have a meal that would normally take me 8 hours to slow cook. So far in it I've made:

Pulled Pork
    Shredded Beef (multiple times)
    Stuffed peppers (multiple times) (they were the best stuffed peppers I've ever had)
    Ham and Cabbage
    Salsa chicken (literally frozen chicken breasts with a jar of salsa, from frozen to shredded in 2 minutes)
    Chicken thighs (I don't like chicken thighs so that was probably a mistake, but if you like them they are really easy to make in the pot)

I feel like I'm missing something but I haven't had it long so that might be all there is for now.

I plan to make cabbage rolls soon too, I assume they will turn out as good as the stuffed peppers did.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    @auntstephie321 Do you have a recipe for the stuffed peppers? Sounds so good!