For those with New Year's Resolutions

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
Don't forget that this week is a great time to get a baseline.
  • Weigh yourself daily over the next 5 days and average them for a good idea of your starting weight.
  • Record your food, even if you're estimating. Sure, it will be a little higher in calories/junk due to the holiday season but it will still be better than having nothing.
  • Take body measurements and pictures. Again, I recommend taking several sets of measurements and averaging them. You never need to show/share these with anyone, but you might be surprised how willing you will be to share them when you have success.
  • Make an exercise log and try for your current personal bests (even if they're nothing to be proud of). Again, a starting number is better than nothing. It will show you how much you have achieved.

If you're also doing something else (like quitting smoking), the same idea applies. Take a starting measurement. You'll often be shocked at how much growth you make. Changes are often slow and hard to see in the mirror.

Replies

• KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I didnt take photos at the starting of my journey, wish I had...but thanks to your post, I will take them now and be able to look back. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm going to tighten up my preferred carnivore ways. I definitely need to eat more beef and quit nibbling on the veggies that make my tummy sick.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks @FIT_Goat and @baconslave for these great posts :) !
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Compliance wise, it's got to be realistic & obtainable. I.e. do not try to go cold turkey smoking all of a sudden, this should have been something that has been planned out & contemlated for several weeks/months beforehand. "Baby steps" if necessary; small goals with a timeframe/deadline works too (I.e 20 cigarettes/day to 10 cigarettes/day month 1, etc.)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Good advice; thanks!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    High Five @FIT_Goat & @baconslave
    You guys are always so thoughtful and helpful. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I'll be joining that January thread @baconslave !
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Well it does depend on how much you are using Baseline each day. Huge difference between 1 pack per day & a "recreational/social" smoker using 5 cigarettes/day. Pharmacologic intervention is aimed at those using > or = 10 cigarettes per day as a rough estimate what would be reasonable to quit cold turkey...20 cigarettes/day seems extremely difficult.

What matters most is planning with strategies/coping mechanisms/environmental changes/behavioral changes; not simply going cold turkey because it happens to be New Year's day all of a sudden

Lol, I had witnessed a plan for a chronic alcoholic & smoker trying to quit both simultaneously. I'm pretty sure he ended up failing miserably at least on 1 addiction.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    VKetoV wrote: »
    Well it does depend on how much you are using Baseline each day. Huge difference between 1 pack per day & a "recreational/social" smoker using 5 cigarettes/day. Pharmacologic intervention is aimed at those using > or = 10 cigarettes per day as a rough estimate what would be reasonable to quit cold turkey...20 cigarettes/day seems extremely difficult.

What matters most is planning with strategies/coping mechanisms/environmental changes/behavioral changes; not simply going cold turkey because it happens to be New Year's day all of a sudden

Lol, I had witnessed a plan for a chronic alcoholic & smoker trying to quit both simultaneously. I'm pretty sure he ended up failing miserably at least on 1 addiction.

I was a pack-a-day smoker for 8 years when I quit, with a few extra on top of that on the weekend. I definitely agree that trying to make too many changes at once is not the key to success and the changing of the date is definitely not a good reason to make a big lifestyle change. I definitely wasn't an alcoholic, but I gave up my nights out drinking when I decided to quit because it was that activity that really fuelled my smoking and that was the one situation where I had no self control. I traded that for hanging out at the gym, which reinforced more healthy choices. Like you said, having a comprehensive plan is very important, no matter which route you take, and a solid support system is helpful too.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Since I already do all of the things in the OP (somewhat obsessively), my NYRs are as follows:

1) keep eating all the things.
    2) keep walking a bare minimum of eight miles per day.
    3) keep at my current lifting program for the next year.
    4) stop eating all the things once I hit 180 (currently 171)
    5) consider a slower cut, even though I always do better on hyper-restrictive VLCDs (like RFL).
    6) repeat after hitting 10% bodyfat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Sadly, I can't even take my own advice. I've got certain fitness goals that I won't be able to get a benchmark for. At least, I won't be able to get a benchmark at this time. I also won't be able to start until after the New Year (probably middle of January, if I am lucky). I'm laid up with a broken foot. So, getting a baseline of my 5k time plus other fitness numbers aren't possible (my max squat is currently 0 kg since I can't put weight on the foot -- LOL).

Still, we're expecting a lot of new people in the next week or two. Best to remind them to take a note of where they start.

Heh, yeah I already put up a Facebook post letting people know that I am considering taking on a lifting partner, if someone wants to get their *kitten* together this year. No takers so far, but that's probably because I am abrasive as hell right up front. I'd rather not give people the illusion that I am nice or forgiving of failure and quitting.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Started my new year's resolution early by starting into this WOE, so got a head start already.

Now I want to focus on tightening up on my macros. Seem to keep going over on my protein and not quite getting to my fat percentage every day.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Measurements :)
    Pics :)
    Weight :) (gain of one pound on my bender only thank god)
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Started Dec 26. Down 5 lbs (water) in 3 days and into ketosis (following the latest version of Atkins). Slight headaches so watching electrolytes and jacking up sodium (getting potassium & magnesium supplements tomorrow). Did measurements didn't think of pictures; will do tomorrow. So far so good! Will be on the January NYR thread -
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Wonderful advice in this thread that can help many with beginning LCHF! Thank you @FIT_Goat for starting this thread!

I used a gradual approach to dropping my carbs. I began at 100 grams a day, but noticed that I felt better (less fibromyalgia pain and more energy), so I gradually dropped my carbs by 20 grams each week. Then there was this challenge to drop carbs to zero for a month. I joined the challenge, and saw a great health improvement! I couldn't deny how much better I felt! So, I've been at that level (pretty much), since May 2015 (time truly flies!!)!! Any time I venture into the higher carb intake I will feel like crap (bloated and gassy with physical pain) so I tend to remain very low carb. This has led me to a loss of right at 60 pounds since February 2015 (that I hit in May 2016) getting me to my goal, and having no more weight to lose, which is a very weird place to be!

Anyone can get here by making the choice to do so! Committing to that choice everyday however you choose to get there! And don't give up when the scale chooses not to move (this will happen!!)!! Stay on plan, and renew that commitment to yourself during this time! Take your measurements at the beginning because this can be a wonderful inspiration to take you through these times. Also, never, never, never allow the scale to dictate what you put in your mouth!! Don't give the scale that power over you!!

Best of luck to the newbies who come and check us out! You are welcome here, and the advice offered here couldn't ever be bought!! Commit to yourself, and you can be a success too!