Emotional Eating Tips/Tricks

Options
Hello Ladies,

I wanted to open this thread to encourage and help other women in their journey in ending emotional eating.

I really believe weight loss is all mental. The best way to cure over eating is recognizing you are in control and making use of cognitive behavioral therapy, stress reduction, and practicing mindfulness.

Here are some tips/tricks that have helped me a long the way

This is what has helped me to stop emotional eating.

1. Daily yoga (you can use a DVD or goto a studio)15-60min a day can do wonders to reduce stress

1. Figuring out what is bugging me. I used to eat to de-stress or to fill the empty feeling inside.

3. I listened to weight loss hypnosis tapes...it seems to be working...surprising

4. Only weigh myself once a month(weight fluctuates all the time, stepping on the scale too quickly and not getting the results can bring disappointment and discouragement)

5. Use measuring tape, counting itches lost are a great motivator

6. Take body progression photos so you can actually see your progress...it is amazing how much your body can change in a month

7. I count all my calories and allow myself to eat ANYTHING I want...even if it is candy or cookies. It took me a long time to understand that making foods off limits was making me want to gorg on those off limit foods. The catch is....that I must be within my calorie limit every day. This way I don't feel deprived. I started out eating mostly junk food....still lost weight...but I started craving healthy foods and starting adding healthy foods.

please add your strategies to dealing with emotional eating

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    One thing that I do when I think I want to eat something but I'm not sure I'm really hungry - I set a time to eat it, it may be 15 or 30 minutes away but this usually sidetracks my mind and/'or allows me to either plan a decent meal or give in while counting the calories and managing the serving.
  • Stacie215
    Stacie215 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing I'm going to try at least 6 of the 7.
  • Stacie215
    Stacie215 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Tried my 1st tape last night, going to do it for 30 days, wish me luck :)
  • bluecrush84
    bluecrush84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Stacie215, glad to hear. I used mine for a while and still use them from time to time to keep me focused.

I think it helped me open the door to figuring out what was really causing me to be dependent on food to cope with my stress.

I think taking time to really understand why I was stress eating helped a lot. It was hard but worth it. When you can acknowledge it you can begin to address it.

• bluecrush84
    bluecrush84 Posts: 77 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Another strategy I use to stay motivated is Pinterest. I look for motivational weight loss quotes as well as quotes that remind me to be patient and take this weight loss slow and steady. I pin the quotes in a folder on Pinterest and read through them when I feel like I am not losing weight fast enough or I am lazy to goto the gym.
  • RonicaWhitehurst
    RonicaWhitehurst Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try some of the tips you suggested because I am definitely an emotional eater. I will check back in to let you know how it's going.!
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater too. I usually give in to it, but something that helps me is when I say to myself that I can have whatever I'm craving but not right now. I usually say if I still want it the following day, I can have it. 9 times out of 10 I don't even want it the next day.