I'm an addict

Options
LovingCharity
LovingCharity Posts: 20 Member
I'm ADDICTED to sugar. I have insulin resistance and inflammation in my body. I am tired all the time and I don't do well with managing my emotions. I am technically obese and out of shape. I am an emotional eater and my problem is insidious. I've known that I should have quit a long time ago but I keep putting it off. Enough is enough. I want a better life and a more stable life. Too many of my problems are coming from a white powdery substance. They put it in fun packages and cover it with bright colors but reality is.....it's NOT fun.

Replies

• OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm so addicted to sugar, embarassingly so. I can lose control around it before I even realize. In the past my acheivments include eating an entire box of 100 calorie snacks, having two large Mc Frappe's for breakfast, not being able to wait to get home from the grocery store to eat my sweet treats and other bad behaviors.

Dissordered eating included laxative abuse, taking Ritalin to lose weight, using every over the counter substance I could to lose weight, throwing up after binging, um' yeah....

And uh' this is the first time I've ever told anyone. Not even on MFP -- I guess, you know, I kinda didn't want anyone to know. When I get into weight loss groups it tends to trigger binging for me and last night I watched a show on TLC where food was being with held from obese people and that was it - I was eating.

I hoard food, I'm getting a lot better and over the past four weeks I have cleaned out my house.

A couple of things happened that put this whammy on me. 1.) Drinking nothing but soda pop until I was 24 years old - never had a single glass of water. 2.) Food scarcity 3.) depression and a series of medication fiascos.

I have my college degrees, I used to have a career before my health went away, and I'm a high performer and I tend to do very well at what I set out to do.

There was so much abuse in my life as a kid and when I grew up when bad things would happen they didn't matter if it happened to me. I was not worth much. I thought that people who watched their weight were doing so because they were really pretty or it was 'worth it' and what did it matter for me? I was so stupid looking that extra weight didn't matter. No one was going to notice. No one cared.

Sometimes I just wish someone would hit 'like' on the photos of cats I post on Facebook.

Life is isolating.

I have to get my sh1t together. I've worked on this for a year. I've made progress. I've lost weight, but I never confronted my sugar monkey until two weeks ago.

Well -- I gotta run -- sorry to be so personal

((Hugs)) I hope we get enough members to get this going!
  • Ila1227
    Ila1227 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    wish this board would take off and be more active. I am totally an emotional eater.
  • rmbaril
    rmbaril Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just want to throw my hat in the ring on all of this. I have serious addict habits when it comes to sugar. I want to change this. It drives me crazy and I know it's at the root of a lot my medical and health issues.
  • JacPea
    JacPea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at quitting sugar. I have read a little of Sarah Wilson's I quit sugar book and have seen that sugar film. All this about fructose makes a lot of sense to me. I however haven't gotten the courage up yet to actually quit and to try the "weird" things like fermented drinks based on a homemade whey from draining a tub of yogurt etc?
  • pennyo140
    pennyo140 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sugar is so pervasive in our supermarkets!! I applaud each of you for posting your struggles.

I mysteriously gained 40 lbs this year. None of my nice clothes fit. I had to buy a few things so that I wasn't wearing clothes that made me feel so uncomfortable. When I lost 30 lbs on WW I ate so much crap food: fake cheese, fat-free this and that; I swore I'd never eat so poorly again.

I joined Eat More 2 Weigh Less to help me jump off the starvation-binge roller coaster. It's taken a long time, but I'm finally really close. Today I focus on increasing protein, getting in my 100 oz of water per day and sticking to my calories. I removed sugar after realizing/learning that I have a gut absorption problem. I joined a local gym and after my hip heals, I'll be lifting weights again.

I'm 53 years old and I want to get to and remain at a healthy weight, be muscular and active. I posted my 10 day sugar challenge on another thread in this group.
  • desireewd
    desireewd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third week of no sugar, and for some reason this week has been the hardest. I realized that I looked forward to sugar binges and that now time at home seems blah.

I still have things like canned soup so i'm not completely off sugar. My plan is to set small goals. Right now it's no sweets (cookies, cereal, etc.), and then after a month i'm going to start eliminating the foods that have added/processed sugar.

Small/achievable goals, self forgiveness, and self love. Just need to keep reminding myself.
  • coolgirl11
    coolgirl11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Go read the book by Susan pierce Thompson PhD called bright line eating. The best book on sugar addiction I have read. It's complicated but it is an addiction as much as cocaine. She discusses how to overcome it. It works and is a forever thing him do not miss it once you give it up for a few months and when you do eat it you get sick so it's easier to keep away from it.