Keto os

Options
Ok, who's using it and whats your opinion on the stuff? Does it work?
Thinking alot about buying it and just going for it, but at $165 for 30 servings it's a lot.
Sounds like a nice option for after cheat day to drop you back into ketosis but is the only down side the price?

Replies

• wimberleybonnette737
    Options
    I see my friends posting about it on FB but they are people who do not eat LCHF. One friend who does LCHF said she tried it and wasn't impressed with the taste. After a big cheat day I would think a fat fast would probably be beneficial and cost much less than doing that stuff.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Chris91gp wrote: »
    Ok, who's using it and whats your opinion on the stuff? Does it work?
    Thinking alot about buying it and just going for it, but at $165 for 30 servings it's a lot.
    Sounds like a nice option for after cheat day to drop you back into ketosis but is the only down side the price?

Meh, I'd skip it. If you're fat adapted, an off plan day may bother you less than someone who has done LC for a week and then went off plan so you don't really need it.

I ate half a pack of Oreos one night and was pretty unaffected the next day. My weight didn't even change. So I didn't even gain the water weight that comes from excess carbs and my appetite didn't change. I was back on track the next morning with a BPC and bacon.

I think stuff like this is unnecessary.

• Chris91gp
    Chris91gp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am keto adapted now but to say I'm struggling with the holiday season would be an understatement.
    I've done some reading and the reviews for keto os are fairly mixed. Some love it and some say it made them feel like crap.
    Too many parties and get togethers lately are making keto tough. Sticking with it though.

Haven't tried a fat fast yet, didn't sound too enjoyable from what I've heard. What do you eat when you're doing one? Cream cheese?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried a fat fast yet, didn't sound too enjoyable from what I've heard. What do you eat when you're doing one? Cream cheese?

It can be fun. People get pretty creative:
    http://www.ruled.me/using-fat-fasting-technique/
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast.html

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Most everyone I have talked to who has used it during competition preps has had nothing but good things to say. Gives you the clarity benefits of keto, while keeping the hormonal benefits of carbs, in those who tolerate them well, and of course, smooths the transition at the very beginning of converting to LC/ZC.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I practice metabolic flexibility due to my training and racing.

If I have a cheat day and way over do the carbs - it usually only takes a day or two of eating the way I normally do to get me feeling like I'm back in ketosis. I really feel bulletproof brain octane helps with that. I take 2-3tbsp per day. And that stuff is like $60 and lasts me at least a month.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @esjones12 I like the Brain Octane too. Seems to work for me as I lost weight while on 3 week vacay in Jamaica with a couple days on either side in Houston TX. Neither place is known for its lack of carb food, lol. And I wasn't all that careful, so I figure I'm fat adapted by now.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I am keto adapted now but to say I'm struggling with the holiday season would be an understatement.
    I've done some reading and the reviews for keto os are fairly mixed. Some love it and some say it made them feel like crap.
    Too many parties and get togethers lately are making keto tough. Sticking with it though.

I honestly don't know how it would be of any help with any of the concerns you are talking about.
    It doesn't make keto easier. It doesn't make you stick to your plan. It just boosts ketones and not by causing you to burn more of your own body fat. You're just ingesting then directly. I really think this is more of a therapeutic product for brain energy/health. Not for diet.
  • Chris91gp
    Options
    I've read that the exogenous keytones will make your body produce it's own keytones faster. Which would put you back in ketosis that much quicker.
    Of course I can't find where I read that at the moment so it's all off memory.
    I find it all depends on how far off I go on my carb days for me to be back in ketosis. If I go on a bender it can be 4 days before I'm back, but if it's only one meal or so I'm back in a day.

The quicker back in ketosis the better right?

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

I mean, sure, but I wouldn't want someone to see exogenous ketones as a way of doing damage control from not eating keto ... like, as a carb antidote or something. That could lead to a yo-yo cycle of trying to eat carbs and then dose BHB like a morning-after pill.
  • Chris91gp
    Options
    You have a good point about the yo yo affect. Perhaps the natural way is best.
    Thank you everyone for your input and opinions
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

I mean, sure, but I wouldn't want someone to see exogenous ketones as a way of doing damage control from not eating keto ... like, as a carb antidote or something. That could lead to a yo-yo cycle of trying to eat carbs and then dose BHB like a morning-after pill.

Really, it could work well as exactly that for those who CKD. However, since carb refeeds should be conducted based on LBM, most people who do them are already lean enough that even after 400-500g carbs in a single window, they're back in within 24 hours anyway.

That said, a little extra insurance wouldn't hurt. It's kinda like taking a PCT before you develop gyno, instead of waiting until the boobies start to form. xD
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Exactly. I have a few FB friends that sell this (the Keto OS is an MLM product). They (and their uplines, I searched them for curiosity) market it as a product that gives you the benefit of keto eating without actually eating keto. Shrug...if used that way, it sure seems like an expensive way to get pretty purple pee sticks without the fat adapted benefits. Or, maybe I'm missing something here. I just eat LCHF, it's cheaper.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I honestly don't know how it would be of any help with any of the concerns you are talking about.
    It doesn't make keto easier. It doesn't make you stick to your plan. It just boosts ketones and not by causing you to burn more of your own body fat. You're just ingesting then directly. I really think this is more of a therapeutic product for brain energy/health. Not for diet.

Agreed. If you need high ketones, especially for theraputic reasons, this could help but having high ketones doesn't seem useful for weight loss or weight gain.