Bone broth

Options
welsh_cake
welsh_cake Posts: 18 Member
I'm considering trying to make bone broth. Any recipes or tips appreciated.

I do not have a pressure, or slow cooker, just a big pan with a lid. I have read that I should let it simmer for up to 24hrs, but won't all the liquid have evaporated by then?

Replies

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've made bone broth in a big pot with a lid and in the crock pot. I've never let it simmer anywhere near that length of time. If you wanted to do so, I would assume that you would need to simmer it on very low heat with the lid on and/or add water over time to replace what is lost. It would not be wise to let it simmer on the stove overnight though - a fire waiting to happen.

I've read on multiple websites and have heard from some other MFP members that you should roast your bones in the oven before making the broth. It helps the bones to leach out the collagen and other nutrients more readily into the broth and thus, increases its nutritional value.
  • welsh_cake
    welsh_cake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reply. I had also heard about roasting the bones first, and adding cider vinegar.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I've heard about adding apple cider vinegar but I've never tried it. I like roasting the bones, it adds some additional flavor as well as nutrients.