How long to stop feeling icky

Options
melroy123
melroy123 Posts: 3 Member
I know people have said that you can feel flu like symptoms at first when doing your low carbs but how long does it last usually?? I have been in the bathroom often today with a lot of bowel issues. I had some salt to try and help but didn't seem to. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Welcome, @melroy123!

People's experiences vary widely. For some of us :* GI issues took their sweet time in leaving.... Without knowing your specifics, it's hard to say...

There's a "Welcome, Newbies" thread created especially for our new friends (I'll bump it so it's easy to find). It will guide you to a galaxy of great resources!

• PepperzDadyO
    PepperzDadyO Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm going through early Keto symptoms, for me getting my hydration balanced with Sodium and Potassium helped alot. I think I missed on my Sodium\Potassium targets for the first couple days. I drug myself into a store, got some Morton LightSalt, a bottle of Powerade Zero mixed them in the parking lot, I felt significantly better in the next few hour, I've been focused on those two minerals since and I haven't had the same problems..YMMV
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    When I hear someone is having bathroom issues, I tend to wonder first... how much fat are you eating? From what sources and are you eating only until you're not hungry or are you eating fat trying to reach a certain fat intake?
    I ask because it's a common theme I see on other keto forums. Lots and lots of fat being pushed starting from day 1. And I see this symptom mentioned on those places quite often as a result. So just the first question I have because of that.
    Otherwise, there are also gut bacteria changes that will take place that could explain it. Just like if you suddenly change your dogs or cars food you can expect bathroom issues....

I don't really associate that symptom with keto flu since it's not related to electrolyte loss.
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I personally find when I eat too much protein I get horrible diarrhea. I added psyllium fiber and more green leafy veggies to my diet it seems to help. everyone is different. I hope your find a balance soon
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    melroy123 wrote: »
    I know people have said that you can feel flu like symptoms at first when doing your low carbs but how long does it last usually?? I have been in the bathroom often today with a lot of bowel issues. I had some salt to try and help but didn't seem to. Am I doing something wrong?

How are you?
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Keto flu more refers to body aches, headaches, and just feeling crappy (not literally in-the- bathroom crappy, just out of it), and is typically resolved by more sodium/balancing out your electrolytes trifecta.

So when I had bathroom drama multiple times, daily, for what seemed like forever (first few weeks) until I found the miracle of psyllium husk capsules (it also comes in powder form). I looked at my fiber intake daily, and it was always very low - some people say women should get at least 25 g day and some people say we hardly need fiber at all, and while everyone's arguing about it, I am happily downing a few caps of husk powder each meal. I'd rather have less loosey-goosey trips to the bathroom (and so many of them) and one nice solid visit (if you get my drift). It's also saved me a lot of toilet paper :P

PS I did this because I already (usually) have more than 2 cups of leafy and/or green veggies per day and didn't want to add more carbs.

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I found the same but I used soluble fiber daily and a fiber supplement that I mixed about 3 times a week. Used it as a topping for yogurt.

Fiber supplement; equal parts ground flax seed, psyllium husks and oat bran.

Also I eat Brussel sprouts, cabbage, green beans and spinach mostly.

I hope you are feeling better soon.
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    Cabbage and green beans and spinach are my loves!

I've got a big bunch of kale here as of a couple days ago and I'm washing and drying it later to make chips in the oven ;)
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Yum. Kale chips. But I ate them all at one go last time. :o:s
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    I've done that before, too.