Welcome to 1000 miles in 2017

Options
EauRouge1
EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
Hey everyone :)

Great to see so many people here. Please feel free to introduce yourselves!

My name is Caz and I'm a runner from the UK. I've just started running again after a long injury break- this time I'm running with my dog, who is an awesome coach! I'm hoping to increase our mileage this year up to 10k runs. I also love long walks in the fresh air, I'm lucky enough to live in some beautiful countryside.

If you have any suggestions for the group then please post in the forum or you can send me a PM.

Best of luck for 2017. We can do this!!!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm Vicky, also a runner from the UK, and i use an exercise bike for cross training.

This year i am signed up for a half marathon and a 10k, and considering a second 10k, so plenty of opportunity to get my miles in!!

In 2016 i covered 960 miles, 400 of those running, so my goals are to run 500 miles, and hit 1000 over all!
  • silyj
    silyj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Juan. Me too getting back into running/walking after a foot injury from a 100 mile bike ride in July . Doctor said to take it easy so I think a 6 month break was good enough...lol!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,015 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi. I'm b3achy from Florida, USA. I hope to get my miles via Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP), walking, rowing machines, glider machines and elliptical machines. I don't run due to bad knees. When I started strength training, I dropped some of my cardio, but this is forcing me to get back on track with it. My goal is trying to maintain 4 miles 5 days per week (M-F). Hopefully that means weekends will be some extra miles toward the goal.

I personally prefer to post my progress daily, so I built a separate progress thread to keep the main threads clean of my jibberish. I belong to a number of challenge threads here, and the daily accountability is what keeps me motivated to get off my tush and workout.
  • pettycoatjunction
    pettycoatjunction Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Bobbi. I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, Oregon to be more exact. I use a Fitbit to track my miles, mostly fast walks with spurts of jogging. Hank, my German Shorthair Pointer, is my biggest couch... dragging me out the door on a daily basis for a fast paced, heart thumping 2 plus miler. When the days get longer and a bit warmer, I enjoy hiking our beautiful state, from the ocean to the mountains. So far I just have a quarter marathon planned for the end of April.

I am doing the Thousand Miles In 2017 challenge on facebook, so this challenge fits right in with that one! My goal is to surpass those 1000 miles, and aim for between 1500 and 1700 (in honor of the year 2017). I look forward to all the motivation I know I will find on this thread.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm bike the world from Indiana, USA. @pettycoatjunction I got all choked up when I saw your German Shorthair Pointer. I used to have one - what a fantastic dog.

I didn't start running until my late 40's. I still can't say I "love" to run - but I absolutely love how it makes me feel. I've completed 18 half marathons and 1 full marathon in the last several years. That said, I am a very low mileage runner (avg 15 miles/week) and I often take a few weeks off, so I will have to bump up my miles to hit the 1000 and be consistent.

That said, I think I have plantar fasciitis. Started two days ago. I have it taped up and wore a special boot thing to bed last night. Hoping this goes away fast or I will start the year already behind! I ran 4.5 Monday morning, and Monday night my husband had to help me hobble to bed. So......bummer.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    I'm Craig from the Downriver Detroit area. I managed 850+ miles last year, and going to step up to 1000 for this year. Thanks for starting the group Caz!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,973 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Hi, Jackie from Seattle, quick hello. We're presently staying in Seaside or. at a bed & breakfast for our 14th year anniversary. We staying till tomorrow afternoon so I'll get a formal introduction at that time.

I'm excited to watch everyone achieve their goals.

exercise.png

• gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am Gerrit from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
    Right now I am just walking but hope to be able to start some running this summer.

exercise.png

• jynnantonnyk
    jynnantonnyk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hoping to boost weight loss by cycling.

I live in Scotland and want to clock up some miles in different parts of the country if possible.
  • trailgirljane
    trailgirljane Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is the obvious- Jane. Thus, trailgirljane. 57 y.o. - married with furry children. I do love trails, although I once was a city girl. Some 20 years in a quiet, rural area has turned me into a trail girl. I share a love of dogs (I currently have 4) and my wild, energetic maltese, "Winston," will be my running/walking buddy. He is already happier since we began 1/1/2017. 16 miles in... I too used to bike, run, hike, etc. For some reason, I have slacked off the past 2 years. I realize I feel so much better when active. I don't do these kinds of forums really and would rather never be on a computer, but I also look forward to having your support and company. So here I am. Thanks for setting this up and I hope I learn to use this site appropriately. Thanks for being here too!!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Rus from the Kansas City area. I started running for the first time since high school this past May, completing the C25K program in July and ran a couple of 5K's and an 8K double-run. I have just started training for my first half marathon that I want to run in April, just before I turn the big 5-0 and planning a 5K and 10K between now and then.

Feel free to add me on MFP if you're looking for motivating and encouraging friends and I also just got a Garmin device for Christmas, so if you do the Garmin Connect Community, I am on there as imskin85.

exercise.png
  • TGTiger
    TGTiger Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow 1000 mile peeps! I'm Tony and I'm in SW Florida but originally from Ohio. I've only been running for about 2 1/2 years (a 41 yr old decision after working 7 years at a running store part time no less!!!) I've run six 5k races and a 4-miler (my first race) since I started so my running has been up and down a little, but I plan to crush this 1000 mile goal. Feel free to add me. I'm on here like every day and very motivational.

exercise.png
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm Rae from the beautiful Pacific NW, USA. Empty-nester with grown married children, two amazing little wee grandchildren with another on the way. I live on a couple acres in Oregon with my husband of 35 years and two very spoiled furbabies. I'm a walk/jog/walker and swimmer, so I'm planning to include my aqua miles in my totals. It rains so much in the PNW that I go to the pool more in the winter than walking outside. Although, I have done my fair share of road races in a steady downpour!

My walking goal for 2017 is to do at least five road races including the Great Columbia Crossing 10K which is across a bridge spanning the great Columbia River between Oregon and Washington. We were registered for it this year, but it was canceled due to a huge storm on the Pacific coast. I got the t-shirt, but never did the race. Wah waah.

exercise.png

• agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am Anna from the SW, USA. I am married and have 2 teens who keep me busy with all of their school activities. I completed three 1/2 marathons however this year I have not signed up for any....yet.
    Life is busy with family, work and studying for a certification this year.
    I plan to get my miles by walking and running.
    exercise.png
  • queequeg9315
    queequeg9315 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm Lisa from Wisconsin. I do not run - it has never interested me - but I love walking and hiking. We'll see if slow and steady gets me to the finish line ;) .

exercise.png
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im Tracy. I live in New Hampshire. Have 2 boys 22 and 19. I would love to run but have bad knees. I do love walking, I just got my husband to start walking with me on some of my walks. I do also get a lot of waking around work, because I work with kids. I started working a second job recently so getting my walks in have been tough but I am going to try and not let it get in my way.
  • Servannes
    Servannes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm BB. It took me awhile to realize this but I notice when I meet regularly with a dietician, nutritionist or go to weight watcher meetings that I can keep on track in terms of losing weight and exercising. I know how to eat right and exercise but on my own it's difficult to stay motivated, I feel like I need accountability and a purpose. Thanks for starting this. I'm off to a slow start but getting my rhythm.
  • tiamaria8182
    tiamaria8182 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm Tia and I'm a little late, but I couldn't pass this challenge up! I live in the Washington, DC area and after a back injury a few years ago I don't run/walk as much as I used to, but now that I'm active again I need to start walking more. This will be the kick I need! I'll see if I calculate my steps so far this month (thank goodness for apps), but if not I have a lot of catching up to do because you guys are doing awesome!
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Belle from AZ. My DD gave me her old Fitbit Charge HR. I count my everyday miles with. My February goal is 160 miles. I was posting everyday, but got irritated with my ticker not working with my Ipad . So I am posting my results month to month.

Who is doing the month to month Move Your @ss Challenge? You are there @GrandmaJackie I beleive?
  • anaxx
    anaxx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Joining late, but on track for 100mi this week. The DC Metro is closed at my stop for track maintenance, so I'm bike commuting to kick start some better fitness choices. Will try to catch up with you speed demons!

exercise.png