First KetoTest

Options
I just took my first urine test, after a week eating the KETO way and I'm at a strong 4.0. This was taken after dinner. I plan to do a test in the morning,before I eat, not sure if it's necessary....I've been feeling better, the last few days, then I have in a long time. I plan to do they same, diet wise but want to start getting more active, probably light cardio soon. Any comments \suggestions at this point? Also is there a way to do a search within this group? So I can do due diligence before I post in the future......Thanks All

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Don't be concerned when you see it reading lower in the morning. It is a fun, novel thing to use but be careful not to focus on it too much. It's not a necessity by any means. I've definitely used them plenty myself.
    Since the group is private there is no search option. It there are lots of great subjects covered in the launch pad and FAQ's.

Congrats on a great keto start though! Happy to hear you're feeling great!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    The darker the pee stick, the more fluids to swill.
  • PepperzDadyO
    PepperzDadyO Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't be concerned when you see it reading lower in the morning. It is a fun, novel thing to use but be careful not to focus on it too much. It's not a necessity by any means. I've definitely used them plenty myself.
    Since the group is private there is no search option. It there are lots of great subjects covered in the launch pad and FAQ's.

Congrats on a great keto start though! Happy to hear you're feeling great!

Sounds like another tool, like a scale, which I've had bouts of being too obsessive with in the past.I haven't used a scale on Keto, dont plan to, going strictly off how I feel and clothes.....maybe I'll do a test strip a couple times a week...I'll definitely keep my radar up on being too focused on the strips, don't want this to control me and let it change my mood...Thank you
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    My personal thought now that I have been eating this way for several months is those strips are a waste of money. After finding out my diabetes (now pre-diabetes) was not related to IR, but rather stress, I decided to run a little n=1 experiment on Monday where I overloaded on carbs - primarily in the form of movie theater popcorn, of which I ate the entire large, got the refill and finished it as well. The result was my BG never got above 138 and got back to my normal 110-115 range only a little slower than when I ate a 0 carb meal.

However, I felt bloated and added over 3 lbs that day according to my weigh in at the gym the following morning. I know it was all water as I have been eating well the last couple days and know I am back in ketosis because I am losing water quickly - as in I am drinking no more water than normal, but am in need of bathroom breaks at an annoying frequency starting last night. 2 of those pounds were gone as of weigh in this morning and I am guessing the other one will be gone when I weigh in tomorrow at this rate.

Bloating is gone and back to the correct notch on my belt and feeling much better.

In short (after that long winded account), when you notice you seem to be losing water faster than you are taking it in (be sure to keep up the electrolytes as mentioned over and over in threads and the launch pad), and you start to notice you are not hungry or as hungry all the time, you are most likely in ketosis from my experience. The important part to remember is to listen to your body about hunger and not just eat out of habit, boredom, etc.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use the urine test strips out of curiosity to see if what I eat affects them but honestly I think for me it has a lot more to do with dehydration. The less I drink the more concentrated the ketones in my urine and the darker the strip. Also sometimes you body gets very efficient at using ketones so after the first few weeks you'll test negative because you aren't excreting them yet you are still in ketosis.

At first I was worried about being "in or out" of ketosis but after almost a year and a half I know that if I do eat something higher carb I'll be back in a few hours and it's really no big deal. You see a lot of articles and people in a panic because they got "kicked out of ketosis" which makes you think it's the worst thing ever but once you are fat adapted you can go in and out pretty easily and it's nothing to stress over.