New Here

Options
Bekah7482
Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
Hello All,

I am 26 and need to lose a lot of weight.

I have done a lot of research and feel like getting the sleeve is the right thing to do for me. My surgeon highly recommended that I do the bypass but has ultimately said that I could get the sleeve. I have 25 more lbs to lose before I can be approved for surgery and my goal is to have my surgery in late Feb early March.

Any support in this process would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @Bekah7482 Welcome to the group! Getting WLS will be the best decision you will have made for yourself. I wanted the sleeve but my surgeon pushed me to get the bypass. I am 5'4", and 42 years old. My HW was 239.6, SW 203 and CW 160.6. In hindsight I should have stuck to my guns and went with the sleeve. I personally had a hard time tolerating protein at first once I was able to eat solids compared to my sleeve friends.

There are some great bariatric sites which offer recipes, products and advice. Some of my favorites are:

The World According To Eggface (ricotta bake is awesome!)
    Bariatric Eating - love the protein powders, protein crunchers, manicotti, vanilla custard and sweet ricotta bake. Chicken tenders were good but too salty for me. Dying to try her lemon pie recipe!)

Bariatric Foodie - love the Taco Casserole - so good!

Bariatric Choice - tons of products it will make your head spin

Chike - love their protein especially the coffee based ones

Click - really good coffee protein

Quest - re-trying after surgery recently and peanut butter is great. Having cookies and cream for dinner tonight

Eat the Bear - I work with and know the owner at our day jobs but this is awesome protein powder as well

Syntrax NectarSweets - love the chocolate truffle and hoping to try their new latte line

Fit Frappe and Chocorite - great online reviews but I have yet to try them. If you check them out please let me know what you think.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Jen
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You've come to the right place for support and already got some good advice from jcavanna2.

Your decision to go with the sleeve over the bypass is yours alone. I had the sleeve myself on August 18, 2016. By December 31st, I have already lost 67lbs and feel fantastic.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress heading toward your surgery!
  • Bekah7482
    Options
    Thank you guys.

jcavanna2: That is very helpful. I am quite a bit larger than you were so that's why my surgeon suggests the bypass. The 2 main reasons I do not want to have bypass is because in my mind, it is too drastic. I do not like the rerouting and all that is involved for a weight loss that is not much more than the sleeve. My second reason is that I have chronic migraines. They are genetic so weight loss will help but not eliminate them. I take NRCOs quite often to manage them without being dependent on my heavy medications. The ulcer risk associated with NRCOs and bypass is too much of a risk for me to be comfortable with.

Question- Did you guys have to deal with people in your life who were critical of your decision to have surgery?
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    @Bekah7482 I also had chronic migraines and was on topamax for almost 10 years / I feel like I can't remember anything for the past few years and my mind was super sharp so it's frustrating. Now I take a relpax when I need it. I personally haven't noticed any major changes with frequency of migraines but hopefully you will see a change.

If I could go back in time I would have pushed to go with the sleeve. I really haven't told too many people -- at least family really doesn't know - just my mom and sister, my cousin because he came to visit 6 days post op (and he wanted to go out to eat) and won't say anything to others. The only person on my husband's family who knows is his cousin because she commented on my weight loss when we went back home to visit in November. She doesn't say anything and she had the sleeve in June 2015 and her sister outed her to the entire family - she was pisst so I know she won't utter a word. My in-laws are saboteurs and have treated me like garbage so I keep this to myself as far as family is concerned for the most part. My friends know and were really supportive. I would say if anyone is not being supportive they are either jealous or afraid for their own reasons.

Do what you need to do for yourself. I can say it was the best decision I ever made, am happier and healthier. I can say almost all of us on this thread got nervous or had second thoughts but all agree it was the best decision ever and only wish we did it sooner. I say you should go for it. Maybe consider having a protein shake for one meal a day to aid in the pre-op weight loss. There is some great products out there.

If you aren't doing any sort of physical activity I would start - walking is a great way to ease into it. Would also really drink a lot of water, and start eliminating carbonated drinks. Post op those will be eliminated at first and maybe in time you can ha e some carbonation but I know my surgeon doesn't want me having it - and also stop drinking alcohol now since you will need to pre and post op though a lot of people have alcohol post op in time.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I had the sleeve. My surgeon wanted me to do RNY, I went in with all my reasoning and we had a great discussion. He told me the pros and cons, and listened, and ultimately signed off, supportive of my decision. I don't know your current weight, but my stats:

HW: 307 SW: 283 CW: 142-146

I blew away my surgeon's expectations. It really became more of a mental game than anything. Research them both, think about you and your body. Figure out what is right for you.

I'm not familiar with NRCOs, but if there are NSAIDs in them, the risk is great for either surgery. Ulcers are a serious risk because of the size of the stomach/pouch. I'll try to find an article I have saved and add it later.

Either way, good luck on your journey, and welcome!

• Jennyjen1214
    Jennyjen1214 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    New to the group. I got the sleeve on 12/14/2016. I've lost 33lbs so far. I've had no issues so far everything is going great. Feel free to add me as a friend
  • Bekah7482
    Options
    @NicoleL874 I meant NSAIDs. I literally always have Advil Migraine on me and can take them up to a few times a week. My surgeon said that I would be ok with the sleeve and still taking Advil. And even after looking at my history of migraines and telling him how often I take Advil, he still wants me to do the bypass. I know I will need to find a way to cut down the amount of Advil I take without being miserable but I will also realistically not be able to cut the Advil out completely.

@jcavanna2 I take Fioricet. It's a pretty heavy narcotic, is really addicting and can cause rebound migraines. They are pretty hard to get a prescription for anymore due to their side effect so my primary and I have been trying other medications with no success. I avoid taking them unless it's an emergency but I have had migraines for 19 years and have not found anything else that even remotely helps with the more severe migraines. The migraines that I can tell are not going to get bad, I just deal with. The ones that are starting to get bad, I try to catch early enough with Advil Migraine (Excedrin and Tylenol don't work for me) and if a migraine gets severe, I take the Fioricet.

I dont really have too many people I need to tell about me getting surgery. I don't plan on telling my friends. I dont want to tell people at work but they have team lunches about once a month that we have to go to and I am not sure how to really hide the fact that I had surgery.

My biggest worry though is telling my mom. She is the only family I have around here and she is a very envious and cynical person. I have heard her talk *kitten* about other people who have had surgery before. She lost almost 100lbs herself but did it in a very unhealthy way and developed an eating disorder in the process. I see her relatively often and may need her help during the process so I dont think I can keep it from her, but I know it's probably not going to be fun with her knowing.

I go for a lot of walks and we go hiking about once a month right now. I am trying to get the courage to start going to the gym again and get back to hiking every weekend. I actually like to work out so I don't think that will hurt me too much. I just need to control my eating. Emotional eating is a struggle and I am looking into starting therapy to help me deal with my emotions better.
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Bekah7482 ! I had the sleeve surgery on Oct 5, 2016. So far I am doing well and have been incredibly happy with my decision. I am 5' 4.5" 40 years old my stats HW 241.6 SW 217 CW 176.8. Today is 13 weeks since I had surgery. I have been very open to anyone who asks about my surgery. I have ran into nay sayers and have even lost a friend through this process, but I decided I did not do this for other people I did it for me and so that I can be around to raise my son, be there for my husband and be healthy. I am lucky that my family has been very supportive. Please feel free to add me if you would like to.

@jcavanna2 I have tried the fit frappe and choco rite and love them both. I got them from nutrition.com which is a website I love. I did just recently get Celebrate multivitamins 2 in 1 from Bariatriceating.com and I do not care for them. The size doesn't bother me, but the chalkiness is terrible so if anyone has any suggestions on vitamins I need to decide what to try next.

• jcavanna2
    Options
    @Jamieeldred thanks for the feedback on those shakes. Debating when to buy them. It's a shame they don't come in single serve. I have so many different protein powders that I think my husband will have my head if I order more so lucky for him our funds are held up because we are buying a new house (totally unplanned) and I need to watch things till after closing. Will check it out once we are done with the move!
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    @Bekah7482 Here's an article to read and think about related to any bariatric surgery and the use of NSAIDs: http://positively-healthy.com/nsaids-and-bariatric-surgery-whats-the-deal/