Question - spacing out carbs

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
I've upped my carbs a little - to 40g a day (after being under 20g for a long time). Main reason is to allow a little flexibility in my diet, while still staying under calorie limit and not triggering the hunger that comes with eating too many carbs. I mainly plan to add a bit more vegetables etc. Still no bread, pasta, rice etc. No refined sugar. So my question is: do I need to space out my carbs over the day, or could I have no carbs in my breakfast (BPC) or lunch (baked chicken and some camembert) but have a cup of sweet potato with dinner (27g carbs) and a kransky (8g carbs). Or would this be too many carbs in one sitting?

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ingested carbs will always increase blood glucose and insulin. The more you ingest, the more they increase.

If you don't have a metabolic disorder that requires you to keep single-dose carbs low, you're likely free to enjoy a larger carbohydrate meal every now and again.

That being said, if you find a larger carbohydrate portion causes you to be hungry shortly thereafter, you may want to tone the portions of carb down to a level that works well for you.

I'll occasionally have 30g of carbohydrate in a single meal, but it's usually 30 minutes or so before a big workout.
  • DietPrada
    Options
    30g of carbs is very little though I would think, when anything under 100g of carbs a day is considered low carb.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goals are, and what your medical issues are, @EbonyDahlia ....

If you have IR, T2D, or poor glucose control, most doctors tend to limit carbs total and at a time. In one of the fasting glucose threads going on right now, there is some good discussion. Maintaining Nutritional Ketosis?

The T2D doc that stood with me the most said that the majority of folks have the most stable insulin reactions in the evening. The body tends to overreact in the am to carbs. His suggestion was 17% breakfast, 33% at lunch, and 50% at dinner. With your 40, that would be about 7 for breakfast, 13 for lunch, and 20 at dinner. So the occasional 30 grams of carbs in a meal shouldn't be too terrible, but definitely not every day.

Also, as you have probable discovered, types of carbs matters hugely. I know you aren't planning on bread, but as an example, I could have 30-40 total grams of carbs worth of broccoli, and it wouldn't be as hard on me as 15-20 grams of bread...

I would experiment, maybe half of that amount of sweet potato, just as a test, with your kransky (google says that's a type of sausage?).

Do you test blood sugar? Ketones? What is your measure here? But most people can easily maintain nutritional ketosis after adapting at 40 grams of carbs, so as long as you are careful about your type of carbs, and monitor reactions, I don't see a huge issue from doing this one in a while...
  • DietPrada
    Options
    Lol yes, Kransky is a german sausage. We like the Aldi ones.

I don't test blood sugar, I don't need to. My Dr assures me my blood work is perfect (4 years ago I was 30kg heavier and pre-diabetic). I do sometimes use urine strips just for interest but after all this time I can tell when I'm in ketosis.

I've done some reading of late, and I'm not sure it's necessary to be on a strict medical ketosis diet when you're not a child suffering from epilepsy, or a cancer patient. It's possible to maintain a fat burning state and be kind to my pancreas eating under 50g of carbs a day. Anything under 100g is considered a low carb diet. I think 40g is still very low, but is a number that allows a bit more flexibility with food choices.

Of course I know that food choices matter, and I'm well aware of what sorts of foods contain carbs but I'd really like to enjoy a bit more vegetables in my diet. Just for taste and variety. I also plan to increase my protein a bit and reduce my fat intake. All within my calorie limit. So more meat and salad and vege, less butter and oil and mayo and other fats.

Can't hurt. I average 1.5kg loss a month if I'm lucky - lack of results and restrictive eating will eventually cause burnout, I'm sure of it.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Lol yes, Kransky is a german sausage. We like the Aldi ones.

I don't test blood sugar, I don't need to. My Dr assures me my blood work is perfect (4 years ago I was 30kg heavier and pre-diabetic). I do sometimes use urine strips just for interest but after all this time I can tell when I'm in ketosis.

I've done some reading of late, and I'm not sure it's necessary to be on a strict medical ketosis diet when you're not a child suffering from epilepsy, or a cancer patient. It's possible to maintain a fat burning state and be kind to my pancreas eating under 50g of carbs a day. Anything under 100g is considered a low carb diet. I think 40g is still very low, but is a number that allows a bit more flexibility with food choices.

Of course I know that food choices matter, and I'm well aware of what sorts of foods contain carbs but I'd really like to enjoy a bit more vegetables in my diet. Just for taste and variety. I also plan to increase my protein a bit and reduce my fat intake. All within my calorie limit. So more meat and salad and vege, less butter and oil and mayo and other fats.

Can't hurt. I average 1.5kg loss a month if I'm lucky - lack of results and restrictive eating will eventually cause burnout, I'm sure of it.

Congrats - sounds like you've found your "carb sweet spot" at around 40-50g.

I believe the theory for T2D is that if you aren't producing ketones, you're forcing your body to produce glucose for its fuel needs.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I doubt there are many here eating "medically therapeutic". My understanding of those protocols is they are strictly based on GRAMS. The most classical is a 4:1 ratio of fat grams to COMBINED carbs and protein grams. It's no fun eating 4 times the grams of fat to protein and carbs combined. MFP shows grams but is based on % of total calories so even at 75% of calories with fat, the actual grams are pretty low comparatively when you add protein and carbs together. It most likely calculates to slightly over 1:1. Maybe 1.3:1 and with that, supplementing with MCT Oil is protocol. Not to increase the fats further but rather for the ketone effect of MCT versus other fats to offset the increased carbs.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the numbers. I plan to go to the doc this year for an annual physical and am considering requesting a session with a dietitian who works in Duke's neurology department and is well versed in keto diets for neurological disorders.

@EbonyDahlia I concur about upping your vegetables in order to not burn out. If it doesn't work or help, you certainly know how to switch back. I upped my carbs a bit in December and what I found was I rarely ate any more but it was rather liberating to give myself "permission" to do so.

• DietPrada
    Options
    I believe a lot of ketoers are striving for "medical ketosis" in that they are eating super low carb, moderate protein and high fat. 70% or higher of fat. I'm not sure what you mean by "the actual grams are lower" - they're not. 70% of your calories from fat for me is something like 130 grams. Which is very high. Are you confused with food weight? For example 90g of protein is not 90g of meat. It's more like 300g of meat.
  • kpk54
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Could be.
    https://www.charliefoundation.org/explore-ketogenic-diet/explore-1/introducing-the-diet

Check out how little combined protein/carbs are in the this 1400 calorie diet by scrolling down to the bottom of the page in the link below. Tiny tiny portions when looking at them in ounces, teaspoons, tablespoons which I am familiar with. 7/10th of an ounce of chicken for dinner? UGH!
    http://www.childrenshospital.org/centers-and-services/epilepsy-program/resources-for-families/ketogenic-diet

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I doubt there are many here eating "medically therapeutic". My understanding of those protocols is they are strictly based on GRAMS. The most classical is a 4:1 ratio of fat grams to COMBINED carbs and protein grams.
    The precise makeup of "medically therapeutic" will depend on the individual and the medical condition being treated.

For childhood epilepsy, yes - 4:1 is the standard protocol to start with, but 3:1 is also not uncommon.

For diabetes, it's generally a gram limit which is best determined by a combination of overall caloric need, exercise levels and insulin-sensitivity.

I'm fairly insulin-resistant, produce next-to-no insulin and maintain very well at anywhere between 20g on a no-exercise day) and 70g on a heavy exercise day. I tend to 'average' 40-50g in total, which overall tends to average close to 10% of my total calories from carbohydrate.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You might want to read some information on www.healthfulpursuit.com. Leanne Vogel developed some keto plans depending on different needs that call for carb ups... especially for women and their hormonal requirements. I don't remember specifics but the carb incorporation was interesting.
  • kpk54
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I doubt there are many here eating "medically therapeutic". My understanding of those protocols is they are strictly based on GRAMS. The most classical is a 4:1 ratio of fat grams to COMBINED carbs and protein grams.
    The precise makeup of "medically therapeutic" will depend on the individual and the medical condition being treated.

For childhood epilepsy, yes - 4:1 is the standard protocol to start with, but 3:1 is also not uncommon.

For diabetes, it's generally a gram limit which is best determined by a combination of overall caloric need, exercise levels and insulin-sensitivity.

I'm fairly insulin-resistant, produce next-to-no insulin and maintain very well at anywhere between 20g on a no-exercise day) and 70g on a heavy exercise day. I tend to 'average' 40-50g in total, which overall tends to average close to 10% of my total calories from carbohydrate.

Yes. I should have clarified when I indicated 'many not eating medically therapeutic' I was thinking in terms of specific diets created for those with epilepsy or other neurological disorders. I find it very favorable so many here with different conditions/disorders/diseases experiment to determine what is best for themself and share the info.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @albertabeefy, that's a good point. Dr. Wahls has a protocol for MS that's ketogenic. It's definitely low carb but involves a lot more veggies than the version for epilepsy since it's based on all her research on what MS patients need. (I've read her whole book and from what I remember she doesn't mention a specific ratio but does give lists of foods to eat and not eat, how many servings of certain things per day or week, etc.)
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you look into Mark Sisson's research, you can achieve similar results even with higher carbs (going as high as 80-100G Net) if you're using intermittent fasting windows to force your body back into a ketone burner.

His own method is that he only eats between 12 and 6PM giving himself an 18 hour window of intermittent fasting, he spaces his protein out (as the body can only absorb around 25-30G per sitting) but tends to have his carbs earlier in the day.