A new year - a new me!

Options
RockinMBC
RockinMBC Posts: 47 Member
Hi Everyone! It's been a while, but I'm back to MFP. I've been post-meno for 3 years now, and my weight keeps going up and up! Well- the buck stops here. Today. I've left my body and self-esteem spiral out of control over the past few years, but I'm going to work on restoring personal balance - which means getting a grip on my relationship with food (and, sadly, wine). I'm 53, weigh 180 and will be losing 30 pounds. I'm definitely looking for more friends - because i totally suck at being accountable to myself right now (I admit it!). If anyone needs additional support - feel free to friend me!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!
  • CndnJo
    CndnJo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, your story sounds familiar. I am 52 and the weight has been creeping up the past couple of years. My goal weight is 150 - 20 pounds to lose. I will friend you and cheer you on. :smile:
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Same! 51 and can't lose weight!! Let's do this!
  • gdelao1
    gdelao1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    54 just starting to experience menopause symptoms. Mainly I'm hot. And I feel like I'm eating the same but packed on weight!
  • RockinMBC
    RockinMBC Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm hot all the time too - and not in the good way! I hear you on the gain. I was eating less per day than my Mom - who weighs 105 pounds - and was still packing on the weight. I've cut out wine during the week and started eating what MFP says my calorie count should be - and I dropped 3 pounds in the first week (likely water weight). I think my body was lacking protein and vitamins - so I upped both. If you need a friend - join me on the journey!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    52 here. Same boat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    RockinMBC wrote: »
    I'm hot all the time too - and not in the good way! I hear you on the gain. I was eating less per day than my Mom - who weighs 105 pounds - and was still packing on the weight. I've cut out wine during the week and started eating what MFP says my calorie count should be - and I dropped 3 pounds in the first week (likely water weight). I think my body was lacking protein and vitamins - so I upped both. If you need a friend - join me on the journey!

I'm maintaining, barely, but would like to lose 5-7Lbs I've gained during the peri-journey.
    I *know* the key is cutting out week day wine....
  • bdbeck
    bdbeck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've had this app for a while but never really tried hard to use it. I think I need friends and support this time. I'm 53 and weigh 180 at 5'4. I seriously want to lose the weight and get healthier. Any help and tips appreciated!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    bdbeck wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I've had this app for a while but never really tried hard to use it. I think I need friends and support this time. I'm 53 and weigh 180 at 5'4. I seriously want to lose the weight and get healthier. Any help and tips appreciated!
    Welcome! We're a nice group!
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    We are!
  • skylerblue4
    skylerblue4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, now it's January 2018! Is this group still a group? Because I just found you and I'm back on MFP and just turned 50 and am freaking out! The pounds have creeped up (again) and I feel like total crud and I'm tired of feeling this way. Could use some friends in a similar situation. Did you guys all conquer this last year or still on your journeys??
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    The journey never really ends.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Still on the journey! This is a very nice group even though activity waxes and wanes I find it to be a supportive place.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Still here! Welcome!
  • pierce304
    pierce304 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to have this group!!! I am 41 and perimenopausal. I would like to lost 15-20 pounds. I was doing great before the holidays and struggling now to get back on track. Never in my life has it been this hard to lean out and lose weight. This balance of the hormones is a delicate dance at this point. I am excited to have others in this same boat.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    All in the same boat .. and rowing, rowing, rowing .....
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    thinking of u!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Definitely still in the same boat. I'm now solidly on the other side. It's been welllll over a year since my last period. And suddenly my boobs hurt again. A lot. (seriously??). I gained 12 pounds during the last 18 months of the transition. And while I'm still in a normal weight range, I dislike the 12, and especially dislike that they are all in my belly (as is some of my former leg fat, WTH?).
    I've been dieting pretty seriously since January 16 and maaaaan is it slow going. I immediately lost a couple of pounds and since then the scale has sat at virtually the same point. I should have measured, I know. Come on whoosh. Let a couple of pounds go!

Meanwhile, I'll keep eating at a deficit, walking at least five miles a day, doing power yoga and Pilates on alternating days, running from time to time, cycling from time to time, and hope for the best. My apple watch says my average daily burn is 2,291 calories.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Hello, Well I lost 40 lbs in my 50s but I had a lot of time due to the economic downturn. Now I have gotten my career going full scale again and the scale has gone up. So without the time to exercise as much it is really hard to get the metabolism going to lose. I now have to find a way to lose while working full time. My commute is shorter than when I gained but it is still a bit of a factor. We go to aquafit 3 days a week and we need to walk the rest of the days. We have been doing better at meals at home which is hard when both of us work full time. I got out my spreadsheet and have been doing better at logging this newish year. I am now able to keep the weight from going up but I have to work at it. Somehow I have to find a way to get it to come down. I need to work on breakfast and more exercise. Upping the water intake would be good too.