Panic attacks and menopause?

Options
tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,275 Member
Have any of you started getting panic attacks since you started menopausal symptoms? I am getting them suddenly and they are terrible!!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have noticed an increase in anxiety over the last while, and anxiety and panic attacks are a well known symptom. I hope you can find a solution for them soon. NOT FUN.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My anxiety has been very high. I'm not sure if that's due to external pressures or to the menopause. I will say the black cohosh seems to be helping.
  • jodes023
    jodes023 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Oh shoot- I thought I was menopausal because of my panic attacks! Lol it's the other way around hey?! I'm so looking into black cohosh!
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    jodes023 wrote: »
    Oh shoot- I thought I was menopausal because of my panic attacks! Lol it's the other way around hey?! I'm so looking into black cohosh!

I would run it by your doctor. There are side effects of course and there are potential interactions. Also, I think you want to get a lower dose. I'm taking 40mg a day.
  • jodes023
    Options
    I would run it by your doctor. There are side effects of course and there are potential interactions. Also, I think you want to get a lower dose. I'm taking 40mg a day.

I haven't gone to the doctor actually- been fighting this battle alone. I'll read up on it and find out more. Thanks for your suggestions- I always try to be careful with what I take. It can be hit and miss sometimes.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Panic attacks are a fairly common side effect of menopause. I already had an anxiety disorder so I didn't notice much difference there during the brief period my hormones were too low but I did have hot flashes. I've been on hormones for almost two years now, so no symptoms at all now.
  • jodes023
    Options
    Panic attacks are a fairly common side effect of menopause. I already had an anxiety disorder so I didn't notice much difference there during the brief period my hormones were too low but I did have hot flashes. I've been on hormones for almost two years now, so no symptoms at all now.

That explains a lot for me...I'd never heard about panic attacks being a side effect before. Makes me feel better in a way.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have never had anxiety problems before starting menopause. I have used meditation and reiki to combat them. It works. Its all in your brain and learning to control that has made a huge difference.
  • rbelfiore0262
    rbelfiore0262 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had no idea either! Thanks for pointing it out. Add another symptom to the list :wink:
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I tried celestial seasonings tension tamer tea and it gave me insomnia and made it worse... Lol... I don't recommend it!
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Omg- yes!!!! To both panic and anxiety. I'm pretty sure I'm in perimenopause. I'm
    Moments from 46. Had no idea it was consistent w this stage of life. Holy hell- it's the worst.
  • jodes023
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    I tried celestial seasonings tension tamer tea and it gave me insomnia and made it worse... Lol... I don't recommend it!

Good to know tmbg1!!!
    Mersie1 wrote: »
    Omg- yes!!!! To both panic and anxiety. I'm pretty sure I'm in perimenopause. I'm
    Moments from 46. Had no idea it was consistent w this stage of life. Holy hell- it's the worst.

I'm 45- but it started a few years ago!! Friends didn't understand it- I didn't understand it so I did nothing about it and suffered through. I wish I had of had some support, I felt quite alone. Hopefully the worse is over.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I love licorice teas, but don't think they did anything for my tension.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jodes023 wrote: »

Good to know tmbg1!!!
    Mersie1 wrote: »

I'm 45- but it started a few years ago!! Friends didn't understand it- I didn't understand it so I did nothing about it and suffered through. I wish I had of had some support, I felt quite alone. Hopefully the worse is over.

I think I'm lucky, because when my symptoms started (vertigo and blood sugar issues) I *guessed* after a couple of doctor appointments (ENT, neurologist) that it was peri-menopause and asked Dr. Google. I found thousands of women with my same symptoms. I can only guess how much harder this would have been if it was in the dark about the cause.

I've said it before, I wish the media, and society would mention other symptoms and issues, not just hot flashes.
  • jodes023
    Options

I think I'm lucky, because when my symptoms started (vertigo and blood sugar issues) I *guessed* after a couple of doctor appointments (ENT, neurologist) that it was peri-menopause and asked Dr. Google. I found thousands of women with my same symptoms. I can only guess how much harder this would have been if it was in the dark about the cause.

I've said it before, I wish the media, and society would mention other symptoms and issues, not just hot flashes.

Totally agree with you @Sabine_Stroehm !! Even my mom didn't tell me any of this! Of course everyone tells you you're too young to start menopause in your 40's too so you believe them and think it's something else and you're falling apart. Every little bit of info helps!! I still have a lot to learn- this is quite the journey!!

Thanks for all your input friends!! ❤