slow metabolism and cycling carb levels?

Options
ameliabee6
ameliabee6 Posts: 20 Member
Has anyone had any success with varying the level of carbs you take in from day to day? I can't seem to figure out what my magic number is, in terms of carb level to achieve weight loss but not feel totally drained. Plus, I just have one of those metabolisms that won't budge unless I push it physically (diet alone doesn't work for me). I'd like to start running again and know I'll need a few more carbs to do so, so I'm thinking of cycling from 25 carbs one day to 50-75 the next to see if that will help me. Anyone do something similar with success?

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think if you keep your electrolytes balanced you won't have energy issues regardless of carb level. I've stayed around 30 for the past year and half and I do a wide variety of exercise including running. I don't carb up beforehand and my energy is good.

I know a few people do various carb cycling regimes to meet their particular goal and hopefully they'll chime in. My only concern about the every other day thing is that it might lead you to going in and out of ketosis yet never adapting to it. Other people have reported feeling really bad when they bounce in and out constantly. I would either set carbs to keto level or stay above 50 personally. You don't have to be keto to lose weight. It's more about where you feel best but you need to be consistently keto or not to know where you feel best in my opinion!

Good luck! Welcome. See the Launchpad for electrolyte info!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 and @albertabeefy both vary carbs based on work outs, so they may have some advice.

Personally, I did not have any issues with needing more carbs for my workout once my body adapted to this WOE. I work out pretty hard 5 days a week from about 5am to 6:30 with a combination of treadmill time and weight/strength training. Once my body got used to using ketones over glucose, there was no energy issues at all. In fact, endurance improved while in ketosis.
  • ameliabee6
    Options
    Great advice ... Had not considered the issue of electrolytes! Thank you both for the input!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    @Gallowmere1984 and @albertabeefy both vary carbs based on work outs, so they may have some advice.

Personally, I did not have any issues with needing more carbs for my workout once my body adapted to this WOE. I work out pretty hard 5 days a week from about 5am to 6:30 with a combination of treadmill time and weight/strength training. Once my body got used to using ketones over glucose, there was no energy issues at all. In fact, endurance improved while in ketosis.

I had the same experience with improved performance after becoming keto adapted. I had not run in nearly a year due to a foot injury and my first run after becoming keto adapted I discovered I didn't need to take walking intervals like before despite not having ran in months and months. When I ran regularly before the injury I couldn't run more than 3 or 4 minutes without walking.
  • ameliabee6
    Options
    Oh wow, that gives me hope! I will just stick it out a little while and let my body adjust. Thanks again.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »

I had the same experience with improved performance after becoming keto adapted. I had not run in nearly a year due to a foot injury and my first run after becoming keto adapted I discovered I didn't need to take walking intervals like before despite not having ran in months and months. When I ran regularly before the injury I couldn't run more than 3 or 4 minutes without walking.
    The only reason I tend to have higher-carb pre-workout meals is because many of my workouts push into much-more intense levels of anaerobic than most, and my performance matters to me more than it should. (It's really, really hard to realize that it's been nearly 30 years since I was a competitive athlete).

When you're fully keto-adapated, have depleted not-just liver but also muscle glycogen stores AND you find yourself going anaerobic, the body simply cannot synthesize ATP fast enough to fuel cellular respiration adequately (from a performance standpoint) in an anaerobic state.

Now, if I'm simply going for a personal-best mile time, I may have 20g of carbohydrate in my meal/snack to help fuel the last 200m or so of my sprint. BUT ... If I'm doing some long-distance mountain cycling (I love to do 100+ km rides through the mountains here) I might have 30g or more in my pre-workout and as much as 100g more during the course of the ride.

Lets be honest - at 205-210lbs I'm very heavy for a traditional cyclist. Going over a 7,200 foot mountain pass I hit anaerobic quite often, unlike a 135lb cyclist who can dance on their pedals staying aerobic over that same pass. One of my favorite (for scenery) rides the last climb averages 14% gradient for nearly 4km in length. I'm anaerobic that entire time... Not by choice - it's the result of physics. Without some available circulating blood glucose, not only would I do it much slower, I might not finish it at all.

Heck, talk about carbs ... once I rode from Calgary out to the mountains to a great spot called 'forget-me-not ponds' <--- (click the link to see WHY anyone would ride there. Beautiful!) and ate a HUGE glazed cinnamon bun during a quick stop in the village of Bragg Creek (after just over an hour of intense riding). Yup, as a diabetic I ate a huge glazed cinnamon bun. Then got back on my bike and rode. Tested my blood sugar every 10 minutes for an hour and a half while riding. Never saw a reading above 7.4mmol/l (about 134mg/dl) the entire time, and maintained the performance I wanted to over some fairly long, steep climbs at altitude.

Not everyone needs to have more carbs for their workout. It entirely depends on a combination of the workouts' intensity and duration ... and their own personal performance desires.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I tried carb cycling, for me it was terrible and plagued with cravings and huge hunger after a high carb day...I do much better keeping to a steady carb level and after a few weeks to adapt I haven't seen any kind of impact to my workouts with low carb.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Based on the research and literature, the only reason you'd need to cycle carbs into your diet is when you're anticipating that your body needs a glyocgen store to perform a particular endurance activity.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What's your caloric deficit?