Hashimotos and Anti Immune Paleo Protocol

Options
Hi everyone, I am glad I found this group , I was diagnosed with Hashimotos last week (antibodies were 100 , TSH 2.4 and T4 was 1.24, can't remember what my T3 were). I am wondering if anyone has had any success losing weight and feeling better by going on the anti inflammation paleo diet and doing acupuncture? I was put on .25mg of Tiroisnt and I am hoping that the anti-immune protocol, acupuncture and the medicine could help me lose weight and feel better. I am fairly sedentary ( I work from home) and workout 3-4 times a week, I try to keep my calories at around 1400-1500. I have about 20-22 pounds to lose.

Since going on the anti inflammatory diet I have noticed that I am fuller and my cravings for sugar and carbs have disappeared. I will also be working closely with a dietician who specializes in autoimmune disorders to monitor my caloric and nutrient intake ( I measure and weigh everything I eat).

Thank you all for reading!

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    When I started AIP for joint pain, I wasn't rven thinking about weight loss. I set my macros according to Mark Sisson's guidelines and eliminated eggs, nuts, and nightshades as well as doing the rest of the Paleo style eating. I even added in liver once a week.

Oddly enough (I mean, I know why it happened but at the time I didn't), I lost my appetite. Luckily I read here in the forum not to drop too low in calorie count, but I could easily have been satisfied with one 800 calorie meal in a day. Before Paleo and high fat (50% +) eating, I would get lightheaded if I didn't eat every couple hours and I craved sweets and grains. On Paleo, the cravings went away. I could go without eating for 24 hours and felt fine. (Not recommending this. I just had ended up in a situation where there were literally no safe food choices for me for that long. Sitting bedside watch in a hospital with no other family able to spell me for that time, couldn't get away to the cafeteria).

Eating 1500-1800 calories a day (MFP told me to eat 1200 but the people here said that was too low), I started losing at a steady rate without even trying.

When I add grains or dairy back for any length of time, I gain weight quickly (I suspect part of it is inflammation).

One caveat. AIP can take some time to work. I felt better pretty quickly, but about three or four months in I started having a new pain in all my connective tissue. I couldn't figure it out but eventually it resolved. I suspect but don't know for sure that it was related to detoxing. Toxins are stored in fat, and are released when you lose fat, or so I read somewhere. May or may not be true but it made sense to me.

I lost nearly 40 pounds that first year though sedentary, without restricting calories, and not troubled with hunger or cravings.

Best of luck to you.
  • CanadianMissy
    CanadianMissy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You should check out Jennifer Robins blog/site. She's AIP.

Predominantly paleo.com

She also has a FB presence. Just search predominantly paleo on FB.