Questions about surgery and chronic pain levels?

Options
My doctor suggested bariatric surgery to me about a year ago and I finally agreed for him to refer me. I go to an orientation and support group starting Saturday but I have a few questions that I'd rather have a non-clinical POV on. I'm looking in particular for people who also have chronic pain issues. I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia which is becoming debilitating. I have some other hormonal issues going on but the fibro is my chief complaint. I want it to go away (I know it won't completely).

What finally made up your mind to get the surgery?
Was it just your weight or were there other complaints?
If you had chronic pain did you notice there was a difference in your pain level after losing weight? Was it dramatic enough to mitigate the pain of the surgery itself?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I decided to get surgery because I was 386 lbs and not able to lose the weight and keep it off on my own. I had lost on my own before, and then gained it back When I asked myself if I could do it on my own, my answer was maybe, and maybe was not good enough. My health was slowly getting worse, I had high blood pressure, I was pre-diabetic, I had chronic back pain and foot pain and fatigue and headaches. I avoided going places where I had to do a lot of walking or standing because I would end up sore and achy. I didn't travel because I couldn't fit comfortably on an airplane. I am a super outgoing person but I wasn't comfortable in social situations, especially with people I didn't know. Since surgery, the pain went away, I stopped my HBP medication, I am super healthy, super energetic, and my quality of life has improved tremendously.

Everyone has a different recovery, some people have more pain than others, but for me, I really had almost no pain to speak of. I took pain killers in the hospital (I only had to stay one night), and after I got home I only took them one day and after that I was fine with Tylenol if I had any soreness - that was really the extent of it for me, soreness. The hardest part was that the first month or so, I was extremely fatigued like most people are post surgery, but that passes, and I started feeling better and better. Also, I took two weeks off work after surgery, and I was feeling pretty good and I ended up being bored after a few days asked my boss to email me some work to do from home :-)

I would honestly say the surgery changed my life. It gave me my life back. It was SO worth it to me. Every day I wake up feeling great and I am so grateful that I can live a healthy, happy life. I would do it all over again. I only wish I had done it sooner.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I had been advised by my doctor multiple times to consider surgery, but I had always seen it as a failure option. I was fooling myself as I was capable of losing for a few months, but would always have a time where the motivation ran out and I would regain plus. As I hit my mid-40s, my hips started becoming arthritic and the pain and lack of mobility was starting to keep me from being able to play all of the sports I loved. I was no longer able to walk the golf course, when I played basketball, it would be two or three days of hobbling in pain afterwards, and i realized that the weight was unlikely to come off again.

I hit the pre-surgery plan hard and had surgery in September of 2014. Aside from the fatigue immediately post-surgery, I had very little pain or discomfort, resolved most of my other health issues, and while my hips won't necessarily regain their previous flexibility, the pain is mostly gone.

The second year post surgery has been a real challenge, but I have no regrets about the path I chose.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I had RNYGB in Nov 2014 and have lost ~150 pounds. The weight loss resolved many co- morbitities: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, GERD, and significantly improved sleep apnea. With respect to pain, I suffered from knee and lower back pain, and sciatica, due to the weight and arthiritis (I'm 56, so not surprising). Between the weight loss, excercise, and Yoga, my back is now completely pain free and I've stopped seeing a chiropractor for "maintenance", my left knee is still a little sore (weight loss won't grow cartiledge back) but it's much better and I've started running again - which I thought I'd never do again. While the running feels good while I'm doing it, I suspect I'd be better off getting my aerobic work through other means (walking, elliptical, bike, cross-fit...) and will discuss with my doctor - no need to hasten the date when I'll need that knee replaced.
    Having the surgery is one of the best decisions I ever made.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your input. I'm still very leery of doing this. I'm also able to lose but lose motivation and pack it all back on (case in point last year I lost 20lbs, I gained 25 back in the space of 2 months). I really miss being able to be active which is a big deal for me. I've ran like crazy and had wanted to do a marathon. Now I'm thinking of retiring on disability and I'm only 30.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I think every single one of us had some hesitation. It's a big decision, it's normal. Even after, a lot of people have that initial "Oh crap, what did I do" moment. It goes away though as we heal and start to feel better and better.
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Realizing that my personality is one of "Just Do It!"... but I am telling you... Just Do IT!
    *smiling*

Maybe it is just that I wasn't terribly unhealthy prior to the surgery. I was pre-diabetic, with high BP, BMI 42. Had my surgery May 2015 at age 50 with two bad knees. I was eating a lot of Advil every day to compensate, and then learned that Advil will be a no no post-op, I thought maybe I shouldn't do this. What will I do for the pain? I went forth with the surgery.

Believe me, after the first month and the loss of 20 pounds, my knees started to feel better already. Oddly enough it wasn't my knees but my back which basically collapsed and herniated in July 2015. From there, never even thought about my knees. Due to the RYN I couldn't take pills for the pain and they put me on liquid Oxy and Lyrica with strict orders from the neurosurgeon to continue loosing more weight, it was the only solution beyond more surgery. Within the six months post-op, my weight dropped 80+ pounds and I was feeling good. I was off the pain medication. My back is still herniated, but I have learned to move and lift correctly as to not aggravate it. My right knee is now starting to bother me again. Time will do that when you have lost all cartilage. I stay active to keep my muscles strong which helps a little with the bone on bone knee pain, but replacement is inevitable.

My body took a large toll carrying all that extra weight, and through WLS I was able to post pone and maybe even erase the need for other surgeries, and my quality of life has improved ten fold.

WLS may not elimnate all your health issues, but it may make the next few years of dealing with them much easier. I only see positive for anyone that has had the surgery. So what are you waiting for?? Just do IT! ha ha ha ... ok... I am done now.. :)
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Best decision I've made in a long time to have the sleeve. Prior to surgery, I had chronic pain in my lower left back, chronic hip pain, knee pain and overall felt fatigued at all times. I was also extremely depressed and shied away from any human interactions that weren't absolutely necessary. My back pain was bad enough that it hurt to turn and wipe my rear. Seriously.

Less than five months post surgery, I've lost around 70lbs , my hip pain is almost completely gone, my back pain doesn't start acting up until I've been walking 30 minutes or more a d aside from sounding like rice krispies, my knees are doing good. I have a ton more energy, I'm down to 50mg of Zoloft daily from 200mg and I'm actually be coming kind a social.

My lone regret is not having done this years ago.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm liking what I hear :) Thank you guys for your input!