Heart palpitations and increased anxiety when starting low carb?

Options
Danyae17
Danyae17 Posts: 7 Member
Has anyone else experienced this? I've added Morton lite salt for extra potassium and Natural Vitality Calm for magnesium but they aren't helping yet. Suggestions?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    How long have you been LC?
    How long have you had the symptom and when did it start?
    How low carb are you?
    Is it every day? All day? Or associated with a certain time of day or activity?

How's your sodium intake? Sodium is the priority over magnesium or potassium.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    @Danyae17 you read my mind. I was just reading through the Launch pad articles trying to see if there were any discussions on this topic already. For the past few days I have been feeling very fatigued and heart palpitations with overall weakness. I also tried upping my salt, potassium, liquid intake. I had two days with really severe headaches as well.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    It happens to me for a few days when I'm detoxing back off sugar. I just went through it last week. Then BOOM I'm back in ketosis and it fades away. Definitely up the sodium, and too much potassium can cause palpitations as well. Focus on sodium and mag, use potassium sparingly.

Hope you feel better soon. :)
  • Danyae17
    Options
    How low carb are you?

I've had these for at least 5 days and I started about 9 days ago on the diet. I stay under 25 carbs a day. Mostly it's at night and first thing in the morning. i started using more of the Morton lite salt because I've never been a fan of salt. I also use Natural Vitality Calm/.
  • Danyae17
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    @Danyae17 you read my mind. I was just reading through the Launch pad articles trying to see if there were any discussions on this topic already. For the past few days I have been feeling very fatigued and heart palpitations with overall weakness. I also tried upping my salt, potassium, liquid intake. I had two days with really severe headaches as well.

I read about an electrolyte drink for the keto flu. It has morton lite salt, nature calm magnesium and a couple other things. google it.
  • Danyae17
    Options
    It happens to me for a few days when I'm detoxing back off sugar. I just went through it last week. Then BOOM I'm back in ketosis and it fades away. Definitely up the sodium, and too much potassium can cause palpitations as well. Focus on sodium and mag, use potassium sparingly.

Hope you feel better soon. :)

I hope this passes soon! my potassium has actually always been on the low end so I don't think that could be it. I've started using more salt (morton lite) and added Magnesium also. Hoping for relief soon.
  • CarrieMoritz
    CarrieMoritz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Before I realized how much sodium I really actually did need (5000 mg+/day), I was having those symptoms. I now just keep a jar of sole water (salt-saturated water, always has a layer of salt at the bottom, I use sea salt b/c I'm cheap and don't believe in all the "benefits and woo" that Himalayan salt purports, since its actual mineral content is so low) at work and one at home, and put a tablespoon in a glass of 4-6 oz water and take it like a shot. I have to have approx. 2 tbsp. of sole water per day because apparently I have a tendency to eat somewhat low sodium otherwise.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Just did a salt shot :) with the only salt I have available to me at work right now which is just one of those packets you get with a takeout meal sometimes, but hopefully it will help me feel better until I can get home and get more. I need to re-stock my bouillon cubes too.....I usually have those here at the office for an afternoon pick me up.
  • Danyae17
    Options
    Danyae17 wrote: »
    How low carb are you?

I've had these for at least 5 days and I started about 9 days ago on the diet. I stay under 25 carbs a day. Mostly it's at night and first thing in the morning. i started using more of the Morton lite salt because I've never been a fan of salt. I also use Natural Vitality Calm/.

You're going to have a very hard time if you don't figure out how to get about 5000mg of salt, REAL salt, a day.
    Low sodium, which you no doubt have since your body has been rapidly dumping it for 9 days now, will cause low magnesium and low potassium.
    You said you already had low potassium. Really low potassium can cause the palpitations but you will never keep potassium in your system without salt. It's not an option. It's a need.
    You really need to get salt asap.
    You really could've created a serious deficiency without getting salt for 9 days since you were already low.
    Seriously. Drink some pickle juice asap.
    If you don't like salt you should buy sodium chloride tablets and take like 3 a day minimum. At 3 different times so you don't upset your stomach.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WNV0GJcrqp4

I have been using the Morton lite salt with added potassium. I've been doing salt water each morning with 1/2 tsp of this. Should this be sufficient? I've also been adding it to my foods and just bought the pink himalayan salt also.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    2300 mg of sodium is a teaspoon of sea salt. You'll need about 2 teaspoons, maybe more, of salt per day.

Half a teaspoon of salt is about 1100-1200 mg of sodium. It probably isn't enough.

Do you like bouliion? Some get their salts by drinking boullion a few times per day. Others make a keto-ade. I just added a teaspoon of salt to water in the morning and choked it back, adding more and more water to get all the salt.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    So you've been having heart palpitations for 6 days now? I would be on my way to see a physician and I am not one to run to the doc.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Other than electrolytes, are you drinking coffee? When I did keto levels of carbs the first time I had to switch to decaf for a couple months to stop racing heart and anxiety for some reason. I've been a multi-cup per day drinker for 20 years but caffeine stopped agreeing with me for a while. My first guess was sodium or magnesium. Seeing a doctor might be a good idea, too.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    How low carb are you?

You're going to have a very hard time if you don't figure out how to get about 5000mg of salt, REAL salt, a day.
    Low sodium, which you no doubt have since your body has been rapidly dumping it for 9 days now, will cause low magnesium and low potassium.
    You said you already had low potassium. Really low potassium can cause the palpitations but you will never keep potassium in your system without salt. It's not an option. It's a need.
    You really need to get salt asap.
    You really could've created a serious deficiency without getting salt for 9 days since you were already low.
    Seriously. Drink some pickle juice asap.
    If you don't like salt you should buy sodium chloride tablets and take like 3 a day minimum. At 3 different times so you don't upset your stomach.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WNV0GJcrqp4

I have been using the Morton lite salt with added potassium. I've been doing salt water each morning with 1/2 tsp of this. Should this be sufficient? I've also been adding it to my foods and just bought the pink himalayan salt also.

You're only getting 1/2 tsp of lite salt which isn't even as much sodium as the same volume of just salt. And you'd need at least 3 whole teaspoons of just sodium a day. Possibly more. That's the starting point. You can use the lite salt too for its potassium but it's LITE SALT... a low sodium version of salt that high carb eaters use to try to offset their water retention from their poor diets.
    You NEED salt. Real salt. I bet you've been getting less than 2000mg a day for almost 2 weeks...
    I hope you've already started really increasing it by now. Your symptoms are a sign of low electrolytes that you should take seriously. You CANNOT be really low carb and low sodium.