Hair loss on Keto?

Options
_tierachanel
_tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
Has anyone here experienced hair loss while eating keto? I've been noticing for about the past month or so that my hair is dropping out like CRAZY. I'm getting pretty scared. Any ideas on what I could be possibly doing wrong to make this happen? Any ideas to help stop it?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It saddens me this topic surfaces every few months because hair loss continues to be an often avoidable problem.

Are you eating sufficient calories to fuel all your bodily systems/functions? In the scheme of things the heart is more important than hair so the hair is first to go when the body does not receive enough fuel.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    It saddens me this topic surfaces every few months because hair loss continues to be an often avoidable problem.

Are you eating sufficient calories to fuel all your bodily systems/functions? In the scheme of things the heart is more important than hair so the hair is first to go when the body does not receive enough fuel.

^^^^This. I have never had that problem but when I diet. But others I have know have it when they are either too low cals. consistently under 1000 cals or very low protein.

Also you might want to use bone broth and/or gelatin to supplement your diet. Nails and hair love those.
  • _tierachanel
    Options
    I definitely eat enough calories. The low protein makes sense though... I did lower my protein macros because I read if they are too high it can cause insulin spikes. I'll make it higher and eat more protein and see if that helps. Thanks :)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I believe B vitamins - or deficiency thereof - can be responsible for hair loss. Meat is the best source for B vitamins and animal products are the ONLY source of B-12. If your protein is low, then this could be part of the issue.
  • _tierachanel
    Options
    Would taking a B-12 supplement help me?
  • cstehansen
    Options
    possibly, IF that is the issue. Sometimes a deficiency is caused by a person's body not properly absorbing it. This could be an ongoing issue or temporary caused by other issues. My wife had to take B-12 shots for a while because she was not absorbing it when taken orally due to something else. That was over 10 years ago, so I can't recall what the other contributing factor was off the top of my head.
  • nortonme
    nortonme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started Keto a week ago. how much protein is enough though to help prevent hair loss? I don't want to lose my hair either.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    nortonme wrote: »
    I just started Keto a week ago. how much protein is enough though to help prevent hair loss? I don't want to lose my hair either.

You can google keto calculator and get multiple hits. From there, you can play with the macros to see what works best for you. Across the board, nearly everyone agrees you shouldn't go below 0.8g of protein per kg of LEAN body mass. There are variants which go up quite a bit from there, but that is a minimum. To make that easy if you measure in lbs and not kg, 1 kg is about 2.2 lbs, so that would be about 0.37 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass.
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had that problem and when I asked my Dr. about it she recommend that I take Biotin or Vit B7. It took a while, but the hair loss has slowed considerably.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I would take others' suggestions about supplementation and/or increasing calorie limit. It's not that high fat and moderate protein is bad for your hair, it is quite the opposite.

Your hair is made of protein so consuming more protein is good for your hair. You can also try protein treatments which you can purchase (look for natural hair conditioners labeled "restorative", "reconstructor", or "strengthening". By natural I mean, no parabens, mineral oils, petroleum by-products, sulfates, silicones, etc). Or you can even make a protein treatment hair mask yourself with the help of eggs, greek yogurt, honey, avocado, etc.

I would like to point out that

1.) Protein treatments should be followed up by a deep moisturizing conditioning treatment as protein directly applied to the hair, although strengthening, is very drying.

2.) Some people do have protein sensitivities when it comes to hair. For most people, protein helps strengthen hair and should be alternated between protein and deep moisturizing treatments typically one treatment per week for healthier hair. There are some people where topically-applied protein actually causes hair breakage. I'm not sure if this is the case for dietary protein. Something to look into.

Also, healthy fats keeps hair in a healthier, more moisturized state. All water intake is a huge component on hair health. So if anything, be sure that you are eating enough calories and drinking enough water.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    TL;DR version: my fine hair has gotten thicker and tangles easily after keto! I used to have very fine, slightly flyaway hair.

I too, noticed significantly more hair loss than I had before keto (thanks to inheriting a good portion of my dad's genes, my hair was always fine-textured and sparse, and started to thin out/hairline recede since my late '30s) but I've noticed the quantity of hair has grown substantially, and my strands of hair are much thicker and more elastic since beginning keto this past summer.

With that in mind, I can't say I particularly care for stronger and thicker strands of hair, because it means my mop is much less manageable/easily tangled now, where it never was before, but I will try supplementing with vitamin B-12 and see if that helps. I may also try coconut oil once a week, to smooth it out. It's really annoying me. If I use conditioner post-shampoo, it's less than once a week, any more often than that, my head transforms into a ball of grease overnight. I only shampoo every other day. Daily dries it out, and fast...on the other hand, going longer than that (especially in summer) is a problem since I have oily/combination skin.

PS - I do 6% carbs/19% protein/75% fat. I'm also going to be 44 in a few months and I do believe my mother was pre-menopausal well before 50, so there's hormone monkeys at play, to consider!
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a problem with hair loss yet, but the last time I was getting my hair cut my stylist said that most of her clients do seem to lose more hair while losing weight.
  • mkoh65
    mkoh65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My hair became finer and started falling out pretty substantially about four or five months into keto. I later read somewhere that hair loss is quite common after significant weight loss on any diet and tends to start about three months after the weight loss, which matched my experience quite neatly (my weight dropped 10%+ during the first two months of keto). My hair eventualy stopped falling out after a month or so with no intervention and has since grown back as coarse as ever.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I went through several months of losing hair but it never got so bad it got thin. It only stopped for me when I stopped losing weight. Maybe I was eating more then too. Who knows. But definitely too low calorie and losing weight can cause it. The good news is it's only temporary. It's not long term damage. Just a little shutting down of non essential functions upon a perceived energy shortage. Just make sure you're never letting yourself go hungry if you're really truly hungry. That kind of shut down could be slowing metabolism. If you aren't forcing yourself to stay under certain calories even when your body is telling you you're for real hungry, then you probably are fine.
    My hair loss suddenly stopped one week along with weight loss... but not fat loss! ;)
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My hair loss suddenly stopped one week along with weight loss... but not fat loss! ;)

Good to know.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For anyone taking B-12, please be sure you take a standard B-Complex (or super or ultra complex) vitamin, too. Supplement B-12 only will gradually deplete ALL OTHER B VITAMINS...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Since these specifics weren't all mentioned here already, also wanted to add this comment I made on another post. That being said, it is a copy/paste, so please forgive any repeats - emphasis mine.

Smaller calorie deficits. Less exercise. Anything to reduce the body's stress.

That being said, adding boron/zinc, gelatin/collagen, diatomaceous earth (for the silica), and a few other supplements (biotin is a waste, from what I remember) - and occasional coconut oil/other safe hair oils (like Argan, etc.) massages to stimulate new growth can really help.

I forget which all supps work best, but I can show you the ripple in my thumbnails from my improved nail health from when I added zinc back in to my supplements. I started it in late October. I have maybe 1/4" left before the ripple grows out past the nail bed... Best thing I ever added - but some folks are not deficient and need copper to balance... There are assay tests you can take to determine deficiency or not. My levels tested normal at only 4 days on the supps, but we all know that most serum tests only show what the blood is keeping in balance - not the functional levels in the body of anything (magnesium, sodium, and potassium are the worst offenders in this IMO)... Whatever the difference, my thyroid also seems to be soaking it up!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I think overall I lose a lot less hair than I did before keto. I have very fine, thin hair and I've been keto for nearly a year and a half and thankfully my hair has thickened a little. Especially since it got super damaged with highlights and some broke off. I used to be able to pull giant handfuls out when I washed it and now I rarely lose any.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    maybe try MSM - I take it for carpal tunnel and it has made my usually quite thin hair crazy thick.