The doctrines of Stephanie Person

Options
Stephanie Person is a keto advocate who has produced a type of keto lifestyle a 'protocol' . I stumbled across a group page on another media site regarding keto and became very confused before realising it was the doctrine of one person. The 'protocol' seems to be a regimented mix of everything from exercise, to food/beverage consumption to sleep patterns. It seems very strict to the point of being unrealistic.

Has anyone followed this 'protocol' and what do they think?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stephanie Person is a keto advocate who has produced a type of keto lifestyle a 'protocol' . I stumbled across a group page on another media site regarding keto and became very confused before realising it was the doctrine of one person. The 'protocol' seems to be a regimented mix of everything from exercise, to food/beverage consumption to sleep patterns. It seems very strict to the point of being unrealistic.

Has anyone followed this 'protocol' and what do they think?

Haven't followed her teachings...
    Q - Can I eat cheese and almonds?
    NO.

Q - Is my fitness pal or keto calculator good to track your progress?
    NO. Tracking your progress can create a stress response blocking keto adaptation.
    http://www.stephanieperson.com/faqs/

Oops.

It looks like most of her statements aren't far off the mark, but, as you say, the overall program seems a bit strict.

I'm guessing this is a marketing tactic to peddle her coaching & training services, which seem pricey for someone who's completely self-taught.

The above and her failure to cite any outside studies, experts, or resources seem to say, "don't waste your time "

(But I tried to watching a couple of her videos anyhow, and I found her narcissistic, self-involved persona totally annoying.) :s
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Tracking leads to stress? Wow. I didn't see that. Definitely supports the idea of peddling this 'protocol' and making money. Frustrating that someone is tarnishing a metabolic process that really belongs to nature. But then I suppose Atkins did the same....
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Tracking leads to stress? Wow. I didn't see that. Definitely supports the idea of peddling this 'protocol' and making money. Frustrating that someone is tarnishing a metabolic process that really belongs to nature. But then I suppose Atkins did the same....

Well put!

I can't blame her for wanting to make a buck, and I think she used good sources for most of her info. But it strikes me as pure hubris not even to cite a single source....

I would be flabbergasted if she could put on the masterful performance Atkins turned in at the USDA's nutrition debate in 2000 -

https://youtu.be/zJ-2M02ON5E
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I looked at half a dozen of her YouTube vids this past summer (don't ask me how I was able to watch more than one) and I found her manic as all get-out, and incredibly hard to follow. I was unable to learn anything from her.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    ^^ Obviously a brain training exercise too... eh, @Sunny_Bunny?
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    (...)"Well, you didn't follow the plan and pat your head and rub your tummy 16.23 times every 5.32 hours while singing ram-a-lama-ding-dong so you obviously don't want this".

So that's what I did wrong!

Thanks for the laugh @Sunny_Bunnie. :smiley:

::flowerforyou::
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I watched a lot of her videos when I first discovered keto. I appreciate her passion for the subject, and impressed with her level of discipline, but for a person like me who has a normal 9-5 and kids and husband and various other obligations her "protocol" is largely unrealistic. Plus caffeine saves me every day!
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    LMAO
  • Kodekai1988
    Kodekai1988 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    She was one of the first youtube videos I watched when I started researching keto. Freaked me out! Thought I couldn't do it - she's certainly passionate but very prescriptive. Wouldn't want her advising me tbh.

Now happily eating cheese and drinking caffeine daily (in moderate amounts) and feeling great.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I did notice that on her web page the faqs have quite a few spelling mistakes in them and some of the other sections have poor grammar and flow. I can definitely see how it might be hard to follow for some people.

This alone would be a warning sign to me on any web site, as I would be more likely to subscribe to or join a site that appears professional.

Spelling and grammar might not effect the content, but someone that doesn't even run a spellcheck before going live doesn't fill me with confidence re: evidence based data or professional citations, resources or scientific sites.

Passion is nice, but my scientific mind requires more!
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A system that pricey and that strict is set up as a safety net to blame the client when they fail and not have to give a refund. lol
    She can easily say "Well, you didn't follow the plan and pat your head and rub your tummy 16.23 times every 5.32 hours while singing ram-a-lama-ding-dong so you obviously don't want this".
    !

It may be "For Orthorexics By Orthorexics"... :s

In other words, if you see her expensive 29-step, 5:19, head-patting, tummy-rubbery ritual as unappealing and off-plumb :fearful:, that may be a healthy sign that you're not a member of the target market. :relieved:

Yippee!
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've watched a few of her youtube videos just for laughs...yeah, she comes across as a nazi in terms of persecuting nuts & dairy (I am sure she has something against bacon too). Perfectly fine to use in helping people stay compliant on keto (in moderation of course). Hmmm she doesn't believe in the power of coffee either...I do not like where this is going.

I think her beliefs rely waaay too heavily on urine ketone test strips (numerous flaws in judging ketosis). On the plus side she seems like she's got plenty of "energy, energy, energy..."
  • RalfLott
    Options
    If she doesn't have a quad-shot espresso habit, she may include some undisclosed white powder in her meal plan that helps her stay trim and frantic.

Imagine being stuck on a plane next to her... :angry:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    A system that pricey and that strict is set up as a safety net to blame the client when they fail and not have to give a refund. lol
    She can easily say "Well, you didn't follow the plan and pat your head and rub your tummy 16.23 times every 5.32 hours while singing ram-a-lama-ding-dong so you obviously don't want this".
    !

In other words, if you see her expensive 29-step, 5:19, head-patting, tummy-rubbery ritual as unappealing and off-plumb :fearful:, that may be a healthy sign that you're not a member of the target market. :relieved:

Yippee!

Oh gosh! That's actually the most likely group of people that would be her fan base. She clearly has one right? Ugh. That's a sad realization and makes me think of a FB group I'm in where they (the masses, not the admins) often tell people to "lower protein (WITHOUT EVEN ASKING HOW MUCH THE PERSON IS EATING) and eat fat bombs and their version of BPC, which totally isn't Bulletproof at all. Not that that part matters, it's just evidence of regurgitated information when someone drinking "BPC" hasn't even heard of Dave Asprey. They don't even know it's a brand. Sorry, huge pet peeve of mine. Lol
    Anyway, I feel like some people are getting almost no actual nutrition because they've decided that eating fat almost exclusively is how it works. One person was barely getting 30g protein a day while working out, and was advised to replace a meal with fat bombs and I provided an opposing suggestion and got bombarded with people trying to teach me how keto works. Lol
    That level of completely ignoring common sense to eat real food, seems like it could fall into that category.
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    Options
    !

Yippee!

Oh gosh! That's actually the most likely group of people that would be her fan base. She clearly has one right? Ugh. That's a sad realization and makes me think of a FB group I'm in where they (the masses, not the admins) often tell people to "lower protein (WITHOUT EVEN ASKING HOW MUCH THE PERSON IS EATING) and eat fat bombs and their version of BPC, which totally isn't Bulletproof at all. Not that that part matters, it's just evidence of regurgitated information when someone drinking "BPC" hasn't even heard of Dave Asprey. They don't even know it's a brand. Sorry, huge pet peeve of mine. Lol
    Anyway, I feel like some people are getting almost no actual nutrition because they've decided that eating fat almost exclusively is how it works. One person was barely getting 30g protein a day while working out, and was advised to replace a meal with fat bombs and I provided an opposing suggestion and got bombarded with people trying to teach me how keto works. Lol
    That level of completely ignoring common sense to eat real food, seems like it could fall into that category.

It seems obvious - now that you mention it - that just as the one-size-fits-all guidelines pushed by the ADA, AHA, etc. have created trouble for people, the same mischief is apparently rampant with lifestyle doctrine in the diet world, even in the Keto corner. (Like Amy Berger says, it's a jungle out there.)

When you think about all the cults (among others) whose leaders demand - and get :s - 100% buy-in from their hapless, brainwashed members (Jonestown, Heaven's Gate are a couple that proved pretty, er, unhealthy... ), I guess the fact that orthorexia is a common disorder is hardly surprising.

Fortunately, the thoughtful folks here don't give warm welcomes to my-way-or-the-highway approaches! :p
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    !

Yippee!

Sheeple...LAWD hep us all! :confounded: