breakfast ideas other than eggs

Options
landmmom2
landmmom2 Posts: 1 Member
I'm restarting low carb after 2 years of sliding back into old habits which lead to weight gain and pre-diabetes. I need help with breakfast ideas instead of always eggs-too many cause me stomach distress. I need something quick and easy or that can be made ahead and reheated.

Replies

• arkansasteriann
    arkansasteriann Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    well it's not something you would heat up but I like the "low carb cereal" idea from Lynn Terry...she mixes .5 cup of pecans (2 ounces) with .25 cups of Daisy brand full fat cottage cheese. (she adds a couple chopped berries but I don't find that necessary) you might like it too...quick, easy and very filling. Best of Luck with your journey!
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the fresh start! I usually just have BPC for breakfast but why not just have leftovers? Make enough at dinner to heat up quickly for breakfast.
    Precook a couple pounds of bacon then zap some in the microwave or crisp up in a skillet for a few minutes.
    Maybe soak some chia seeds in coconut milk overnight with a little stevia and vanilla to have a yummy chia pudding for breakfast.
    If you like smoothies, get some whey protein and blend it with coconut milk for a boost of protein and fat. You can add some sugar free syrups to change up the flavors or some sugar free jello.
  • carine0502
    carine0502 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I usually have a full fat greek yogurt (125g) with a small handful of macadamia nuts or a mix of various nut (around 30g) and some sweetener. And that's 6g carbs (my goal being 20)

I also do this sometimes with cottage cheese which has less carbs. A great "sweet" option for those like me who cannot eat salty things in the morning.
  • Xo_healthylc
    Xo_healthylc Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I sometimes take a precook ex sausage patty (they come frozen and look like McDonald's) and heat it in the microwave they take 40 seconds from frozen and add a slice of cheese on it. Zero carb and 20g fat keeps me full.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I precook slices of bacon in the oven and take a few slices with me to work. I munch on them at my desk.

But I have also had leftovers for breakfast. Breakfast doesn't have to be eggs. It can be anything. Even steak!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/one-minute-flax-muffin-low-carb-295649

It's delicious, and it's basically a meal.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I sometimes take a precook ex sausage patty (they come frozen and look like McDonald's) and heat it in the microwave they take 40 seconds from frozen and add a slice of cheese on it. Zero carb and 20g fat keeps me full.

My supervisor at work does something like this. Not sure why I haven't thought of it....
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to try that. I've never purchased or used flax meal, but this looks like a good reason to start. :)
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    On days I don't want eggs for breakfast, I'll do bulletproof coffee, or else nuke a slice or two of bacon or sausage and/or dice up and avocado and have some salsa or hot sauce on top, with some cubed cheese, in a bowl.

I also like this mug cake recipe (I haven't tried the Nutritious one, just the Delicious one--and I HALVED the erythritol because contrary to people saying it's only 70% as sweet as sugar, I found it sweet AF)

PS - I am also not a big egg person, and even though I eat eggs and bacon (or sausage) several times a wk for breakfast, it can get old! I only enjoy eggs scrambled, as an omelet, or whisked together with cream, veggies, ham & other stuff and whacked into a baking dish for a crustless egg bake.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat mixed nuts. I like that there is no prep involved.
  • ShanBanKrup
    ShanBanKrup Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What I currently eat for breakfast that I enjoy is Carbmaster yogurt by Kroger and mixed nuts in it. Pecan and almonds are lower carb. They have cream cheese pancakes too you can make with the cheese, egg, baking powder, and salt, and make just like pancakes. Can add vanilla extract to those too for flavor. Pinterest has the detailed recipe. I love "muffins" with almond flour, some oats, egg, and a little banana. I bake them for like 10 min at 350 and they are so yummy. But yea it's funny I don't really like eggs either and usually force myself to eat them when I think I need to.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    For work days I have been bringing bacon pre-cooked on the weekend. Heating up with shredded cheese on top. It really adds something to keep the bacon from getting boring.

I made some keto pancakes last weekend without any sweetener because I wanted to add some peanut butter I was craving for some reason and decided that I wanted to try them again with some sauteed spinach and goat cheese....That's what I'm going to try this weekend I think! :)
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    honestly, i just eat whatever i feel like. maybe eggs. maybe broccoli. maybe jello. it depends on what i want to eat at that moment or whatever is leftover to nuke.
  • CanadianMissy
    CanadianMissy Posts: 39 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I work out of the home and I'm just not ready to eat first thing in the morning so I need something I can take with me.

Have you tried the blog paleomg.com? I have figured out a lot of her breakfast and snack type recipes and have the macros and calorie breakdowns. Some of her stuff IS higher in carbs than I would like (which is strange since she runs a paleo site :/ ) but others are okay. She's a little immature and annoying and she uses some foul language but her recipes always taste good.
  • ameliabee6
    ameliabee6 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking green smoothies with a few cups of spinach, stevia, half a frozen, sliced banana, unsweetened almond milk and one tablespoon of peanut butter powder. It ends up being about 13 carbs but I feel like it's a great way to get some extra veggies in and the banana helps with potassium. It really tastes great too - like a peanut butter banana milkshake.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've never been a 'sweet breakfast' person, or got into yogurt parfaits and stuff. When I was growing up, my dad was a baker and brought home donuts and pastry every weekend and it got old, fast. Occasionally, I'll make a batch of cream cheese pancakes w/eggs/almond flour and melt butter on top and maybe whipped cream or strawberry mash. I haven't eaten a bowl of cereal for breakfast (or at all, for that matter) in probably 3 years. So being sick of eggs occasionally used to stump me, til I realized I can have whatever I want, not just breakfast food (although I love breakfast food, if I go out to eat with people, I love going to breakfast places. Bacon! Sausage! Omelets!) So sometimes it's leftovers from lunch or dinner the day before :)
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I come by my unusual breakfast habits honestly. Growing up, I always wondered by my mother consistently cooked more steak and Caesar salad than our family would eat at a sitting. That was, I wondered until the first time I found her chowing down at 7:30 in the morning, soggy croutons and all. My motto: if it's good for lunch or dinner, it's good for breakfast.
  • allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of sausage balls for me and my girls and we keep them in the fridge and heat them up in the morning. Like the traditional bisquick recipe, sausage, cheese, etc. but I use flax meal and almond flour instead of the bisquick
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    These little pemican bars are handy to have around when you've gotta grab something to eat as you're going out the door. US Wellness Meats carries pemican with honey and cherries but also offers pemican without those ingredients. You can order pails of this stuff (there are some who eat this for breakfast) and/or the bars. This is an acquired taste for some folks if they aren't used to the taste of fats. I'd recommend ordering just a few bars to make sure you like the taste first. Anyway, all this has in it is beef jerky, beef tallow, water and sea salt.

http://grasslandbeef.com/beef-pemmican-honeycherry-free-bar

Also, don't forget canned food items for a quick fix meal. Whole Foods used to have 365 canned tiny shrimp that was sooooooo delicious, but our store isn't carrying it anymore. :(