Weekly Post 08.01. - 14.01.2017

Options
2»

Replies

• flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I agree with Flumi. Not boring at all. And something I hope to see someday. It always amazes me to think about how industrious people of long ago were without use of modern tools and machines. My son learned about ziggurats and honestly, I don't know how they did it!!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    There has been some work done recently and the best way of moving the stones is ropes on a bed of seaweed as a lubricant, there is plenty of seaweed. This needed less manpower than even rollers, The rollers were out as there are very few trees on Orkney, Also the midwinter sunrise is between the two hills on the horizon to the right hand side of the picture. Not as exact as at Maes Howe, but it gives a good indication of the midwinter solstice.

AS for going I would say go, but not on a tour, you need the time to do it your way and not have loads of people around. Skara Brae for example normally has 4 coaches there that is 200 visitors at a time and it is a shuttle service as everyone wants to see the oldest human habitation still in original condition. Also there is so much more to see than the tours will show you.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I had the opportunity to enter into the center ring of Stone Henge 10yrs ago at the break of dawn with a group of spiritual friends including a muscian and bard with his celtic harp....blue sky, full moon and sunrise all at the same time...talk about magic moments. At the time the main path already only lead past but not to the circle and you needed a special pass to get into the center in the early morning. Well worth getting up very early and freezing a little.

Last October while travelling with friends through the lake district, we 'discovered' two smaller and less frequented circles. No less amazing to be honest. The builders really knew where to they had to place them, embedded in breathtaking scenery and special energy! No circle too small to be worth a visit ;-) .

Haven't heard of the seaweed theory. Very interesting.

3rd fast is in the box....landed at 600 but I'm good with that. I will try to stay on track over the weekend. No crazy plans, thus time for exercise and in charge of my own food :D

• flumi_f
    Options
    Not my week for losing...2.5 fasts and I'm 0.7kg up from last friday...bm have been very slow...don't know why. Chia, rosehips, tumeric and hot water are not helping much. Veggies are up protein ok and grain carbs are low. Maybe it's because my vacation routine is over and I'm working again :#
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Well I'm slowly losing!!!!!! I've been back doing the 5:2 for three weeks now and so far I've lost just over 1kg.
    Not a massive loss but I'd rather lose it slowly anyway.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Karen - you don't seem to have that much to lose. 1kg/3weeks seems a good loss for you. Celebrate!
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I completed my second fast yesterday. Pretty good, especially since the first one ended up higher calorie wise. I'll check my progress on the scale in a few hours after my kids get to school.

Geoff, thank you for the recommendations. Now that my kids are older, I'm really looking forward to being able to travel further distances with them. Having ideas about seeing things I wouldn't think of is super helpful and always makes a trip more memorable.

Flumi, hang in there. It so frustrating when you've been working so hard, but you don't see the payoff. Do you think 3 fasts a week may be working against you? For me, it seems like one more fast puts my body into a preservation mode. It's like it becomes a tug of war...I've got more of the rope with 2 fasts, but I start to lose it when I do 3. I LOVE the idea of 3 because it makes sense that I'll lose more, but doing this for over 3 years has shown me that isn't true. Perhaps that isn't the case for you...everyone is different!!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Thanks Flossy. The reason I started with the 2.5-3 fasts was, that my cals on my normal days were nilling out my two fasts....Thus I was gaining with two fasts. I'm getting better with my cals on normal days and I agree with you, two fasts should be enough then. Because my weekly cals were never really low, I can't imagine my body going into preservation mode, but who knows.

I'm not really worried about the gain. My cycle totally influences possible losses and gains and this week was not a losing week according to the hormones. What I find strange and am looking for an explanation is the mild constipation (sorry), that has been an issue the last 3-4 weeks. Veggies and fiber shouldn't be an issue...I eat lots of them. I supplement with chia and tumeric daily and have started with rosehipbuds this week, which all should have a positive effect on my digestion. I have been taking homeopathic magnesium regularly for my muscles and because I had the impression my cravings were better with the magnesium. I know magnesium can cause a bit of a back up, but it wasn't a problem until now. I will go back to only taking it after hard exercise or when I have 'ants' in my legs. Might be my solution. And after my four day weekend (next week), I will try to get back to 2 fasts and keep my non fast days in check.

We are all work in progress ;-)
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Ooh thanks @flumi_f
    I have about 25kgs to lose to get me to "normal " bmi
    But I am glad I'm losing. Seriously, the slower the better for me.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Geoff, thank you for the recommendations. Now that my kids are older, I'm really looking forward to being able to travel further distances with them. Having ideas about seeing things I wouldn't think of is super helpful and always makes a trip more memorable.

Flossy if you do stretch as far as the UK then I can fill several days/weeks for you but mainly pre history. After all everyone wants to go to Stonehenge, but very few have even heard of Avebury, which is much older and very much bigger, and only 20 miles from Stonehenge.