Pork Belly

Options
I've tried to log my dinner tonight (roast pork belly) and on the MFP database there is a huge variety of options each with hugely different nutritional values... does anyone have any idea of the correct values? Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• sharonmcloughlin1
    sharonmcloughlin1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Snap, that's what I had for dinner this evening too :) I was able to find the correct values by adding the name of the shop where I purchased it. Most large stores in the UK are listed. If you're outside the uk and still have the packaging you could just select the one with the closest values or make a new entry in my foods, Hope this helps :)
  • gracestevens1994
    gracestevens1994 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks @sharonmcloughlin1 but I bought it from my local butchers so it had no info on it! I think I'm just going to log my best guess and not worry about it :)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with logging my pork belly too. The packaging, at least where I buy it, generally has the calorie and macro info for the raw meat, but that's considerably different from the end result when a lot of fat has rendered off. Even if you jump through the hoops of weighing and subtracting the fat left in your pan, it's still totally a guesstimate because you don't know how much fat to meat there is in the piece you're actually eating. And if you use cooked calories and macros, the end result of fat/protein can vary so much based on how you cook it. Ahhhh!!!! It's been driving me crazy too lol. I'm trying really hard to cut back on my protein and it's a great fatty meat option, but the flip side is, it's difficult to measure your actual intake. I've just accepted that it's a random guess and am using my blood glucose measurements to determine if my portions have been too big.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I just weigh and log raw. Obviously it's less than that when the fat renders out but I would rather overestimate than under.