F you booze

Options
Long story short, I lost a good amount of weight eating primally in 2014, had a gallbladder issue, had surgery and gained it all back being not primal so resolution for 2017 was to hop back on the primal bandwagon to see some health improvements (got a fatty liver post gallbladder removal) and fit in my pants.

I was doing well - 8 lbs down (I have a LOT to lose), feeling good and then on Friday night I had a cheat 6 hours in which I consumed 1 turkey burger, 3 margaritas, 1 small package of nibs and a small coke (we went to a show as a treat). I didn't weigh myself yesterday figuring it would be bad due to water weight, drank a lot of green tea, didn't eat lunch. Weighed myself this morning - had gained every single lb I lost back.

How the F am I supposed to love my body I it does this to me? WTF? I guess no more cheat evenings in my future...

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    8 pounds down in what span of time?
  • madammariposa
    madammariposa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Since Jan 1. I have over 100 to go, and am aware a couple of those were probably water weight
  • CanadianMissy
    CanadianMissy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it.....as you said, it's just water weight. Just jump back in and keep going. I also find the weekend harder. But, hey, I do primal and it has an 80/20 rule. I eat pretty much 100% during the week so I try not to freak out when I use my 20% on the weekend.

Hang in there and keep going!

How much do you have to lose?
  • madammariposa
    Options
    I'm doing primal as well, and am aware of the 80/20 rule. Just discouraging to be exactly where I was on Jan 1 again, like all the work I have done for the last 2 weeks doesn't count anymore. I am now 250 again, goal weight is 150 but I'll take that a bit at a time when I'm under 200, I'd be ok if my body settled a bit higher as long as I'm healthy.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Alcohol always stalled my progress for days, I'm sorry to say. Who would think that a glass of wine or two would make such a difference?

Bummer. Commiserating. I'm on the AIP, and I find that when I cheat with dairy or grains, I can gain 5-10 lbs overnight--mostly water and inflammation. It gradually goes down again. I guess it's a good (if frustrating) lesson. I do much better if my "cheats" are Paleo--like extra carbs in the form of sweet potato or other starchy veggies or fruit (or even some super dark chocolate). I might stall out for a week but I don't gain a bunch of weight.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Long story short, I lost a good amount of weight eating primally in 2014, had a gallbladder issue, had surgery and gained it all back being not primal so resolution for 2017 was to hop back on the primal bandwagon to see some health improvements (got a fatty liver post gallbladder removal) and fit in my pants.

I was doing well - 8 lbs down (I have a LOT to lose), feeling good and then on Friday night I had a cheat 6 hours in which I consumed 1 turkey burger, 3 margaritas, 1 small package of nibs and a small coke (we went to a show as a treat). I didn't weigh myself yesterday figuring it would be bad due to water weight, drank a lot of green tea, didn't eat lunch. Weighed myself this morning - had gained every single lb I lost back.

How the F am I supposed to love my body I it does this to me? WTF? I guess no more cheat evenings in my future...

I also advocate the 80/20 rule. Nonetheless, I think it is a good idea to go cold turkey for a while, and then reintroduce, so you can better assess your tolerance levels to non-paleo foods.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm doing primal as well, and am aware of the 80/20 rule. Just discouraging to be exactly where I was on Jan 1 again, like all the work I have done for the last 2 weeks doesn't count anymore. I am now 250 again, goal weight is 150 but I'll take that a bit at a time when I'm under 200, I'd be ok if my body settled a bit higher as long as I'm healthy.

Are you still there today?

I find that a night of indulging in alcohol leads to dehydration, which, oddly, leads to the scale going up a few extra water pounds. Sometimes for 2-3 days.
    So, glycogen re-storing, and dehydration? You could see 5-8 temporary pounds.

Logically, you know that you didn't overeat by 28,000 calories...so most of it MUST Be water.
  • madammariposa
    Options
    247.8 today. So not where I was at the end of last week, but closer. Yesterday was a lot of hydration and walking, hoping I'll have evened out by mid week. Lesson learned, cutting the alcohol out while I want to see results. Now to convince my home brewer husband not to tempt me...
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Congrats on dropping the hooch. I'm +5 yrs sober and it was the best choice I ever made. As soon as I quite drinking I started binging on sugar and t digested as sugar, including excess protein. The total result was going from 250 to now at 175. I'm totally ketogenic and still making tweaks. it's what works best for me. I hope you persevere and find what works best for you.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Congrats on dropping the hooch. I'm +5 yrs sober and it was the best choice I ever made. As soon as I quite drinking I started binging on sugar and t digested as sugar, including excess protein. The total result was going from 250 to now at 175. I'm totally ketogenic and still making tweaks. it's what works best for me. I hope you persevere and find what works best for you.

I hear that's pretty common; some people who stop drinking alcohol end up craving sugar, sweets, fruit.

I think something is missing in the middle of your post, though, as it sounds like binging on sugar took you from 250 to 175...?
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Oops, yeah...i said to myself, if I'm really insulin resistanct then if I stopped eating anything that digests as sugar then I should notice a big changes. So I did just that and the results supported my theory.