Is this ketogenic ? these Macros

Options
viren19890
viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
Carbs 27 g -net

Fat 58 g

Protein 113 g ?

I was helping someone out by point out that protein is too high and they might not be ketogenic. They said I need to do more research and they have been in keto for over 2 years and I am dead wrong.

So I am just trying to learn. Am I wrong?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It sounds like they do a version of keto called Optimal Ketogenic Living, which tends to be higher protein in practice.

A quick calculation says that those numbers are low calorie, coming in at around 1000 calories. Because of that, the result is likely that they are in ketosis.

The theory there, is that your body makes up for the calories in body fat. Odds are good that if they diagrammed their version, it would include body fat in the calculation. I personally think it's over thinking the whole thing.

Now, where things get tricky is that you're not wrong, but you're not necessarily correct, either, with regards to protein. 113g protein isn't too much for most people, but might be if they are practicing a classical ketogenic diet, or if they are a very small person. Additionally, people who do not have glucose issues will likely not be knocked out of ketosis for that amount, as it will go almost entirely to building blocks, instead of energy. In people with glucose issues, it may kick them out for a time, until those issues are corrected.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    They're using a lot of body fat with such low calories. That counts in the macro percentages. If their TDEE is 2000, then they are getting 1000 calories in additional fat which would bring the fat to protein ratio way up.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Are you guys suggesting this is a good way to go?

Since I'm learning -i am not sure I am understanding the concept. You are saying calories can be kept ultra low and protein high and fat moderate and rest would come from body fat as energy ?
  • CarrieMoritz
    CarrieMoritz Posts: 34 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My macros are 120 pro/76 fat/ 20 carbs. Optimal Ketogenic Living, Ketogenic Dieters, and KetoGains on facebook follow those macros, going by height and optimal lean body mass for them. I'm 5'7". Protein consumption at that amount helps maintain current lean body mass. Those two sites see a ton of success. Myself, I'm down 25 pounds since the end of Sept.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    e1r1x5ez69jj.jpg

Here is the OKL chart for reference. The numbers in the original post would correspond to a male around 5'5" or a woman around 5'10" in terms of the protein and carbs, but the fat is still WAY to low even for the low end of someone wanting to lose weight. These macros are would work to be in ketosis if the deficit is 1000 cals as assumed by others. That said, this would still not be healthy and would result in losing too fast, IMHO. The fat grams corresponding to these protein and carb numbers would be 84-197 depending on goals (lose, maintain or gain).
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    e1r1x5ez69jj.jpg

Here is the OKL chart for reference. The numbers in the original post would correspond to a male around 5'5" or a woman around 5'10" in terms of the protein and carbs, but the fat is still WAY to low even for the low end of someone wanting to lose weight. These macros are would work to be in ketosis if the deficit is 1000 cals as assumed by others. That said, this would still not be healthy and would result in losing too fast, IMHO. The fat grams corresponding to these protein and carb numbers would be 84-197 depending on goals (lose, maintain or gain).

Why would it be for males ~5'5" and females ~5'10". Those heights for the gender are so not "average". Should it be male @ 5'10" and female @ 5'5"?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I was just using what it has on the chart. I didn't make it. I was just looking for where those numbers lined up, and that was the closest I could find.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I was just using what it has on the chart. I didn't make it. I was just looking for where those numbers lined up, and that was the closest I could find.

Oh, I see it. Thanks for the clarification. Carry on.
  • CarrieMoritz
    CarrieMoritz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    y8sr0nlszyur.jpg

This one looks a bit closer. From Ketogenic Dieters.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited January 2017
    Options
    05svkdb2o5dg.jpg
    This chart by Dr Ted Naiman suggests getting more fat from bodyfat when you start and have bodyfat you want to lose and adding dietary fat as you get closer to goal weight in order to slow down weight loss.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    And this article being discussed in another thread also suggests eating high dietary fat in the beginning to adapt then lowering fat in order to use more bodyfat. Then eating higher fat again as you reach maintenance.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10502801/great-article-diet-insulin-resistance-marty-kendall#latest
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Interesting re: higher fat intake to adapt and lower once maintaining a keto loss.

I started out at
    1593 cals goal and 5% carbs/15% protein/75% fat as 26% deficit - and now I'm doing
    1400 cals goal, 6% carbs/19% protein/77% fat as 20% deficit - I left protein alone, but my fat goal is lower (in grams/day) than it was before, which was 142/day doing the 1593 cals/26% deficit)

However, I've lost 41 lbs since I first set up that calculator back in May 2016

I don't even math gud. I only left protein alone because in 8 months, I've not noticed any weakening or muscle issues.