Great article - Diet & Insulin Resistance (Marty Kendall)

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
A lot of good info on a variety of topics (diet strategies, ketone levels, protein, etc.).

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2017/01/15/how-optimize-your-diet-for-your-insulin-resistance/

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Oh interesting!
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this, very interesting. I plateaued after significant loss and have only just got the scales heading south again, mostly by reducing fat a little and increasing protein a little! Also upping exercise to 6 days a week of running has helped for sure. I measure my blood glucose and blood ketones a couple of times a week, just to check in, and blood glucose is always below 4 mmol/L and ketones anywhere from 2-4 mmol/L. Big change from 6 months ago when my fasting insulin was 16 and is now 4. Will re-read that article quite a few times, thanks again!
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You beat me to it! I came here to post this exact article!

For me, it stresses the importance of not going too low on protein as is so often trumpeted all over facebook groups. Even that is mentioned...
    It explains how to figure out how much is too much if you're insulin resistant and assures you don't much need to worry about it if not.

Also, that you want to start out eating more added fats to help get fat adapted until your weight/fat loss stops then it's time to lower fat intake a bit to use body fat until you reach goal weight then increase fat again to maintain weight. This is often misunderstood too.

And it stresses nutrition. I've seen time and time again, people being told to lower protein and increase fat by drinking fatty coffee or tea and eating fat bombs. This advice is literally suggesting trading nutrient dense food for much less nutrient dense food. It makes no sense.

There were paragraphs on raiding your onboard pantry that I thought he might have lifted from your posts. ;)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    LittleL78 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing this, very interesting. I plateaued after significant loss and have only just got the scales heading south again, mostly by reducing fat a little and increasing protein a little! Also upping exercise to 6 days a week of running has helped for sure. I measure my blood glucose and blood ketones a couple of times a week, just to check in, and blood glucose is always below 4 mmol/L and ketones anywhere from 2-4 mmol/L. Big change from 6 months ago when my fasting insulin was 16 and is now 4. Will re-read that article quite a few times, thanks again!

Great progress!

How did you persuade your doctor to order insulin tests?
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ...the onboard pantry phrase comes from Fung...I think :) Great share @RalfLott !
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great article. Makes a lot of sense to this slow carber even. :)
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    That is a great article! But what exactly is the deal with the chick in the 1950s fridge?
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    This was an awesome article, it really was a "chin check" for me! Thanks for posting.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great article! I've been maintaining the same weight since the beginning of November without effort (and my goal was to make it through the holidays without gaining, and I did that, so woot woot!), but I still have about 20 lbs of mostly belly & visceral fat that I'd like to lose. I've been ad libbing since April or so, but I think I will track for a week or two and see how my macros & calories are actually standing, and see what I can do about increasing the protein/decreasing the added fat to begin working on those last few pounds!

And this article reminds me of a blog post that @KnitOrMiss wrote a while ago - something to the effect of "Nutrition trumps all!" :smiley:
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the article makes me wonder if I've crossed from "insulin resistant" to "insulin sensitive." Interesting thought! I've never had fasting insulin measured, and my glucose meter & strips are 5 years old (from my gestational diabetes days), so I don't have those tools to help me figure it out, but I've done my darndest to reduce the insulin load on my body for almost a year now :smile:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    redimock wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the great article! I've been maintaining the same weight since the beginning of November without effort (and my goal was to make it through the holidays without gaining, and I did that, so woot woot!), but I still have about 20 lbs of mostly belly & visceral fat that I'd like to lose. I've been ad libbing since April or so, but I think I will track for a week or two and see how my macros & calories are actually standing, and see what I can do about increasing the protein/decreasing the added fat to begin working on those last few pounds!

And this article reminds me of a blog post that @KnitOrMiss wrote a while ago - something to the effect of "Nutrition trumps all!" :smiley:

@redimock - Many variations to that same statement, for sure, but that is my credo, more or less. Nutrition is more important than any carb or calorie. I say that nutrition trumps everything, generally, so that if you've had a blip in your dietary plan at any point during the day, don't skip a meal and be starving to wake up to the next day - focus on getting solid nutrition in, even if it means going a but over, because you risk setting yourself up for failure the next day if you either skimp on dinner or skip it altogether in an attempt to compensate. Overall, unless you've major health issues that don't allow any deviation (in which case, why'd you go off plan in the first place), focusing on nutrition after a binge/eating off plan/overeating/etc. can help level it out and minimize the destruction.

In fact, it has been theorized that folks who suffer with obesity at some point probably hit this same wall without realizing it... Basically, one theory for being hungry after eating (aside from insulin resistance or cellular energy resistance) is that if you ate empty calories, they didn't fill your nutritional needs, that the body is going to keep sending out "hunger" signals until those nutritional needs are met, or until you just get so uncomfortable you can't eat anymore, but still have nutrient deficiencies...

Plus, after listening to summits last year, many doctors harped on about this same issue, culminating in an interview by Jayson and Mira Calton, who co-wrote "The Micronutrient Miracle." To date, I've only listened to a few interviews and read a few chapters, but I've loved the info in this book. Chris Masterjohn, PhD also spoke about this on one of his more recent podcasts....and also went into how NK (nutritional ketosis) can be maintained by using something like MCT oil to balance out more carb-heavy meals.... So the issue just seems to keep circling around and coming back into my field of vision...
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options

RalfLott wrote: »
    LittleL78 wrote: »

Great progress!

How did you persuade your doctor to order insulin tests?

Thanks!
    Dr didn't need much persuading as I went in for full check up after gallbladder issues and PCOS symptoms. I think it is a common test here in Australia (and covered by Medicare) as insulin resistance is sky rocketing. Found substantial gallstones and significant insulin resistance. I was motivated to lose weight in prep for my gallbladder removal (had it out in Sept last year, minimal issues sticking to keto) and prevent developing full on type 2 diabetes! Managed to get rid of insulin resistance between July and September (was retested before surgery), I was really surprised how quickly my body redeveloped insulin sensitivity with keto lifestyle change and regular exercise. Have lost 23 kg's so far, with 8 kg's to go.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    1. I did really well on a low carb diet initially, but my fat loss seems to have stalled. What gives? What should I do now?
    2. If protein is insulinogenic should I actively avoid protein as well as carbs if my goal is to reduce insulin because low insulin = weight loss?

OMG yes I need these questions answered! Not necessarily the first...as I am not stalling yet. But the protein question is important to me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    ...the onboard pantry phrase comes from Fung...I think :) Great share @RalfLott !

I have definitely heard him say it and I know I've seen it around other places too.
    I find it needs to be said fairly often.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »

I have definitely heard him say it and I know I've seen it around other places too.
    I find it needs to be said fairly often.

At least 30 times before folks even realize they got one.....