Will anything bad happen if I eat this?

Options
Julene64
Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
Hey y'all, so I started out doing LCHF but have been doing keto for over two weeks now. I've been sugar/grain/refined foods-free since I first started about six weeks ago (20 lbs lost so far). Hubby and I are going out to eat tonight and I really, really, really want some Japanese food! Question is, if I have maki (sushi rolls) will all that rice do me in? Will it knock me out of keto, or worse, will it make me feel sick? (I've read some horror stories on here!) I thought about asking them use extra vinegar in the rice to help counter the insulin response. Would welcome your thoughts, advice, personal experiences, etc. Thanks so much!

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Not sure what it would do to you but it would most likely NOT do anything to me. I don't have the "horror stories" others seem to have regarding eating a few extra carbs while on keto. I don't have horror stories even eating WAY over on carbs while eating keto.

Enjoy your sushi and get back on track. It may "knock you out of ketosis" for a short period o time but you don't have to be on ketosis to lose weight.

I notice in your post "insulin response" so if you have metabolic issues you might want to consider which is more important: a night of sushi or your health.

• Julene64
    Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful response. I feel better now about eating it but I will still be sure to only eat until I'm satisfied (which is very hard to do where sushi is concerned!) And no, I don't have any metabolic issues like diabetes or anything like that. Thanks again!
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had this same question a few days ago. I ended up getting one sushi roll, and was proud of myself for wanting that instead of donuts. That's a huge accomplishment for me :D
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If it is a place where they are making it for you, you can always request less rice, or to make it with extra veggies and no rice. If you want to make it at home, you can make it with cauli-rice, etc. My favorite part is the combo of the seafood with the spicy mayo...I can do that without rice anytime!
  • helocat
    helocat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There is a number of pepole that talk of doing carb cycling where they move from a strict LCHF diet to one day a week they eat carbs. The few talk of it working for them and being able to go back into Ketosis with ease. This is actualy my exit plan once I hit my target goal weight wise.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I never had any issues in the first year of ketosis. Now, if I eat something too carby or sugary, I notice it in the bathroom. I don't know what changed, but something in me did. LOL
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Going higher on carbs is just not worth it to me, now, after about 20 months on keto. I can go a bit higher while training or racing. Carb cycling is counterproductive for me.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When I consume high carb foods I pay for it. My back is sore, I'm bloated and I feel lethargic. For me it is not worth it. This is such a personal thing.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the worst side effects as a deterrent...sadly (for me) I do not.