Looking for new friends and Support

Options
ReNaLaBo1
ReNaLaBo1 Posts: 4 Member
Hi Everyone, I'm 55 and looking for new friends for support. I live in Illinois with my husband and son. Looking to loss about 35 lbs. I am doing the South Beach Diet which is a low carb and sugar diet. I walk at least 20mins a day 7 days a week, and try to get my 10,000 steps in every day with my fitbit. We can do this :))

Replies

• joaneo421
    joaneo421 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi how's it working out so far? I've tried every diet possible but that's the problem. When I I think I have to deprive myself is when I fail. I'm really convinced I can do it now.
  • nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group--I like the "going strong" part of the description :) I woke up one day and found myself about 50 pounds overweight. It went on gradually and is coming off gradually :/ In the past I never dieted, could eat what I wanted; at some point, that changed.

for ReNa above, I tried South Beach with my family and I think it's fine but I like my carbs. I use some of the recipes from the first book and have one of the cookbooks (and use some of those recipes :) )

for joan above, we'll do it!
  • cinrob84
    cinrob84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lost 63 lbs with MFP and in the last 6 months gained half of that back. But I'm ready to get that back off...I was feeling so good and then I got off of my routine when summer started and my daughter was home during the day. I was used to taking her to school and then going to the soccer field to go walking and when I stopped taking her to school, I stopped walking. I'm very motivated now and need more active friends. Good luck to you all
  • nmcknny
    Options
    Good luck to you, cinrob!
  • joaneo421
    joaneo421 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support nmcknny and cinrob84! I did walk for half an hour on the treadmill today. I have to get back in the habit again.
  • nmcknny
    Options
    Good job on walking on the treadmill! I'm taking a walk this afternoon--it's cold but it will be short.
  • nmcknny
    Options
    I'm aiming to lose 10 pounds this month. My starting weight is 156.4. I'm posting here for accountability and because you all have been positive.
  • Wheetabix01
    Wheetabix01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! So, I am new to myfitnesspal. I had a major accident just over a year ago, and broke my pelvis in two places. It's been a long way back, but I am now at the point where I am starting to try to add more exercise back into my life. It's hard, because I still have pain if I try to do too much. I have put on probably about 25 pounds, due to lack of exercise, loss of muscle mass, and comfort eating. I am hoping to lose 10 pounds by the end of April, but I am really going to have to push myself. Any new friends are welcome for inspiration! Oh, and I am 55 years old. Thanks in advance!
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm back at MFP (great place to be) after too long. I've gained back 20 pounds, have to do something about that. I'm one of those "skinny girls trapped in a fat body", I'm literally twice the woman I used to be. Of course I did this to myself over time, by eating like I'm 40 years younger and 94 pounds! I've was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 38, for many years that was all my only health issue. Now, not only do I have high BP (on meds), I also have, high cholesterol (on meds), asthma/COPD (former smoker (5yrs now) inhaler/sometimes use a nebulizer) and recently, Diabetes (no meds, changing my lifestyle habits). I'm fat, soft, have bad feet and knees. So, I baby my joints, I tend to sabotage my exercise. I've even cut down in how long/far I walk my dog. I really need to kick myself in the butt. I'm down 1.5 lbs with 48.5 lbs more to go to be happy & healthy. Thank you all in advance for your inspiration (& a kick in the butt). :-)
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi! I am 55 (56 next month) and I have been using this site since about 2012, though apparently I had set an account up a year earlier during which time I managed to loose 23 pounds! So I had a bit of a head start when I got serious about diet/exercise management! :) Total, I lost over 70 pounds, am a pescitarian, and exercise regularly (3-4x/week) in spite of the arthritis in my knees. I do have to modify some routines, which is annoying, but I am not sedentary by any means. Heart problems took down 7 of 9 individuals in my family before they were my age, so I feel thankful I am here to write this! Once I hit menopause a couple years ago, however, I gained about 10-12 pounds back and it does not seem like anything is helping in getting those pounds back off. My doctor blows the situation off saying that is just what happens. I refuse to give in to having to buy a "bigger" wardrobe now that I realize I like being able to wear something other than circus tents, which is what I affectionately say I wore all the years I was 200+ pounds. I am on medication for cholesterol issues--I was taken off it for six months and at a follow up my value was up at 309, so not taking the medication simply isn't an option. My BP and other vitals are great. I do have sleep issues, another condition most medical professionals don't seem to want to acknowledge or treat. Given all that, I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas you have that may help with trying to loose these few pounds. Friend requests also appreciated! Thanks!
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I notice my last post was in May... I am still looking for additional friends/support as my doctor telling me "gaining weight is just something that happens when you age" really isn't a good answer. Especially from a doctor.... I wouldn't let a regular person get away with that one! I've got an appointment with a GYN on Sept 1 as I am fairly sure this is a menopausal issue. I really could use some women my own age that have ideas on what to do. I use MFP the same way I did four years ago when I lost 75 pounds total and have been told for weeks now "If everyday were like today you'd weigh...." and I've actually put weight on. I thought I'd take the initiative and go send friend requests to people listed on this page but apparently my lack of being on social media in general does not help me to see how I do this on this site. Can people PLEASE send me friend requests? I need support badly.... Thanks!
  • jipmac
    jipmac Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Almost thru my first month on Whole30. And may extend. Feeling good but can't wait to weigh in. Have 30 to lose!
  • pearlymay8
    pearlymay8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! Is anyone still in this group? I just started MFP two weeks ago. I also am twice the size I used to be. I decided five years ago that I was sick of watching what I ate and got lazy and didn't put exercise in my life. So, I am looking at having a hysterectomy next week. I wanted to start off before hand with changing my diet and watching calories and exercising and trying to do what I could before surgery and keep going according to doctors order afterwards. I am also committed to do 10K Cooper RIver Run in Charleston this April with my kids. I am trying to be a better role model and lose this thirty plus pounds. I haven't lost but one pound since I begain. But I did cheat on calorie intake by 200 calories twice or so a week. I am just looking to find some other friends! Especially some close by we could work out together or get together and hike etc. Let me know1 cheers!
  • nmcknny
    Options
    Hi, Pearlymay8! if you're in South Carolina we aren't close enough to get together but you're welcome to friend me. I've been away from MFP for a few months and gained back some weight; I'm back on track now, though. Maybe a monthly fitness challenge would help us all with exercise.
  • harborgirl3217
    harborgirl3217 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just got back on MFP and think this is a great group - I'm all in! I tried to send ReNaLaBo1 a message but MFP didn't recognize the user name??? I'm fairly incompetent when it comes to technology, but want to embrace MFP and meet other people with the same goals. I'm tired of making excuses and tired of another year passing where I wasn't my best. I've spent the last 25 or more years fighting this fight and I'm fed up with my rationalizing my poor choices. Life happens. At our age, none of us has avoided adversity. It is time to stop letting anything and every thing, even the really crappy stuff, be a reason to cheat ourselves out of being healthy for the next 25 plus years. Vanity might be a part of it, but now, and for the rest of our lives, it is about health a quality of life.
    Every one of us is capable of becoming the healthy, strong women we have covered up inside. Let's do this.
  • nmcknny
    Options
    Hi, harborgirl! Life happens is right! You're welcome to friend me. I think we'll all inspire each other to do this!
  • Hogerda
    Hogerda Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Am 58, lost 20 lbs, 5 or 6 more to go. It is getting harder, because what started as a great new focus is now sometimes tedious. My husband is very supportive, but other than mfp groups, there is no real support. Most of my friends do not really care or openly say that they can't be bothered to lose weight, and make me feel defensive. I feel good on days when I do a lot of exercise, but then there are days when all the chores need to be done and I get dissatisfied with all the stuff I need to do and snack. And snack some more. I was at a weight I had not had since I was in my 30's, and now have gained back 2 lbs. Is this recognizable for any of you?
  • Chabang
    Chabang Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am about to turn 50 in a few weeks so I figure I qualify for this group. I'm trying to lose about 35 lbs. I was slender most of my life then gained an extra 10 lbs with my first kid that I never lost about 9 years ago. I had a baby last year that left me with another 10 lbs or so to lose but then menopause hit with a vengeance and I've been gaining ever since. Ugh. I'm really hoping the weight loss will help with some joint issues I've been having and give me more energy. I need it to chase around my toddler!