Newbie here!

Options
Hi there!!
So some short history. I'm 23, was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18, and have been overweight since I was a child. I am currently at my heaviest, feel like crap, hate how I look and feel, and want the weight gone! Got sick of crash diets and discovered the Keto lifestyle, so here I am! I started yesterday. I didn't realize how much carbs were in everyday things! Especially drinks, holy cow!!

Anyone have any tips for beginners?

Replies

• Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    I started today and am pretty excited about it. Excited to see where I will be this time next year! I am ready to be happy and healthy!
  • borgenergard
    borgenergard Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have PCOS, I've never heard of it before so I looked it up. Sounds like something that offers a lot of problems that people can't fathom. I'm at the same place as you considering weight, the heaviest ever.

It's so true, carbs are everywhere! It was hard not reaching for the soda in the cafeteria today.

Some useful tips might be to never worry that there's too much fat in something. Stop eating carbs, and dont try to replicate things that do have carbs (personal opinion, some find that helpful). Also to focus on things you enjoy eating. If you don't like red meat, find something else to eat that is high in fat and low in carbs.¨
    Ketostix is a helpful tool to monitor if you're doing things right without risking the bathroom weight tricking you.

Hope we can cheer eachother on! :smiley:

Everything you need to know about Keto is honestly in this, relatively short page. https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
  • verucalane
    verucalane Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've been strictly keto for a few months now and have learned SO much (and lost 46lbs)! I'd say the most important things are: keeping your net carbs under 20g, staying within your caloric range for weight loss, hitting your protein goal daily, and keeping your electrolytes up. There's not a whole lot of evidence to back up ketostix, so I skip them. If you're under 20g net carbs, you're in ketosis.
    Figure out what macros you'll be using and stick to them. I use the OKL chart and it's been working great for me. I hear the keto gains calculator is good too.
    Keep your meals simple: meat and veg. eat lots of salad. eat avocados. measure your fatty things like cheese, heavy cream, and salad dressings. reddit's keto subgroup is a great resource as is the facebook group lchf- low carb high fat.
    you can message me if you have any questions too- i will do my best to help. :)
  • Slja2013
    Slja2013 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Welcome and way to go on the weight loss! I think keeping it simple and consistent is the absolutel key!
  • Whoniverse_Lover
    Whoniverse_Lover Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Tips:

Drink water.

Read labels. Not just the nutrition fact macros, but read the ingredients too. Decide if that is what you want to put in your body.

Eat veggies that grow above ground.

Don't be afraid of fat.

If you weigh yourself, weigh everyday at the same time each day. Average the weeks weights every week to see the downward trend.

Take your measurements monthly.

Take a magnesium supplement.

Up your salt intake.

Get plenty of rest.

Love yourself.

Be kind to yourself.

Don't sweat the small stuff.