New to Community and MFP

Options
Hi. I had VSG in March of 2015 (HW 405, SW 352, CW 270), I hit a wall about a year ago where I stopped losing, my lowest was 238, then personal issues happened and I began comfort eating again, I've regained 30 pounds and never even came close to my goal weight (I was shooting for 170 so that if I regained I could maintain at around 200). I'm trying to get back on track but I just lost my job....my 'story' is longer than this, but suffice it to say I am divorced as of May 2016 but still live with my ex (amicably) due to financial reasons (and family distance reasons) but we are heading our separate ways in the next 6 or so months, so between chronic migraines (new as of August 2016), the job loss, the potential of living alone again after 7+ years, and the regain I am at the bottom of my rope and trying to claw my way back up.

I have Medi-Cal insurance so I'm going to make an appt with my primary about finding a new surgeon (my previous one doesn't take Medi-Cal) and hope that they can get me back on track for a possible revision (I'm pretty sure - 99% - I have a hiatal hernia again as well). I've started journaling, adding walking back into my daily routine, logging my food with MFP, meditating, and just trying to start over. I have no social skills and prefer to be home alone bored rather than be in a group of people - other than my ex I have no friends where I live and only 2 where I used to live (Philly), I simply don't know how to make friends, don't enjoy hanging out with people, etc, I just don't have the social skills for it (never learned them, I'm 46 in a few weeks), but I need some support and accountability. I'm hoping this group might help a bit, I have a FB group that is AWESOME and super supportive, but I need more places to turn to.

I'm sorry for the dump here, just wanted to give as much relevant information as I possibly could.

A little more about me - 45, female, live in San Jose, been obese my entire life (not exaggerating), went on my first date when I was 38 and married the guy 3 months later (lol), I speak fluent sarcasm though online it sometimes comes across as kind of b*tchy (so I tend to use LOLs a lot).

Thanks for your time and I wish you all much love and luck with all of your life's journeys! :smile:

I believe in FAILing - First Attempt In Learning - and Progress Not Perfection. :smiley:

Replies

• jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @cagossner welcome to the group. I have found everyone on here to be incredibly supportive and uplifting. It is always helpful to have a great support system. I am lucky that maly family has been supportive, but it is really nice having a group of friends here who understand what you are going through. I am a 40 year old female 5' 5". I had vsg on Oct 5th. My stats are HW 241, SW 217 CW 175 GW 145. Always remeber that you are important and worth it!
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @cagossner Welcome to the group! I agree with @Jamieeldred this is a great group! Have you looked at www.bariatriceating.com? They have a program around regain that a lot of people have success with. Sorry to hear you are going through a lot - it will get better and you will look back on this time and learn and grow from the experience. Maybe speak to a neurologist - they can put you on topamax for preventative measure and some people find it helps with weight loss. Good luck, and reach out if you need anything.
  • CrazyDogAndCatLady1971
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome ladies! I'm glad to hear this is a supportive group, there are some groups I've seen (on a protein powder brand's site) that can be downright nasty and mean to each other, I don't need that negativity in my life. :) I should upload a picture so that y'all can see my mug. lol
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Sorry to hear you're in a sort of down period now. All of us understand that life happens and that food may be used for coping with issues. You can turn it around one meal, one day at a time. I loved your use of FAILing = First Attempt In Learning.
  • CrazyDogAndCatLady1971
    Options
    Thanks @loveshoe I found that quote online somewhere recently and just fell in love with it. :)
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Welcome cagossner! I'm sure you will find everyone here in this group are pretty pleasant, encouraging and helpful.
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    welcome! I had VSG in Dec 2015, feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I have been off MFP for a while but I just came back recently because I too need to get back on track. This is a great group.
  • CrazyDogAndCatLady1971
    Options
    Thanks @StevenGarrigus :smile: and @Robin628 :smile: I'm getting back to it slowly but surely...mostly slowly. LOL
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Welcome @cagossner . The PRESENT is always a good time to work on health and personal goals. By taking an active role in your health choices you're doing the right things. You'll find lots of support and answers to questions you may have. Good luck on your new journey! :)
  • andreemaldonado674
    Options
    Hello, My name Dre, I am new to MFP and had my VSG done 12/19/16. I am down 31lbs from 316, looking forward to the future and the education and advice that comes with a change of this magnitude!
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hi Dre! Welcome to the group! There is a lot of really good people on this thread and lots of great advice! Congrats on your surgery :)
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Congrats Dre and welcome to the group!
  • andreemaldonado674
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    Hi Dre! Welcome to the group! There is a lot of really good people on this thread and lots of great advice! Congrats on your surgery :)
    Gracias!
  • andreemaldonado674
    Options
    Thanks!