Extreme Tiredness After Meals

Options
Hi All! I was wondering if anyone else experiences extreme fatigue after their one meal. I started OMAD about a week and a half ago and its a constant problem for me. I've done several other types of fasting in the past 16:8, 5:2, ADF and never had this problem. I seem to have it even if my meal is relatively low carb. Any thoughts?

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Are you diabetic? Have you had your A1C checked? What was the number?
    Have you had a glucose tolerance test or insulin test?
    Do you have massive leg cramps that appear not to be related to hydration?
    Your age and any food allergies would help to know, too. Could be a few other things, too.

It may take a while to adjust, but you should. Take your blood sugar when you wake up, 45 minutes after a meal, and then 2 hours after a meal. You should see: between 70 and 100, no higher than 125 (135 absolute max), and then 105.

Here's the thing with sleepiness after a meal...it is caused by your blood leaving your organs and entering your stomach, so some sleepiness is normal (very, very mild). But you also have orexins, chemicals that induce a tranquil state so that you will calm down and not overwork after you eat so that you can digest properly.

I'd shrink your meals a bit more early on.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and I'm allergic to bananas and wheat. I don't get leg cramps. I haven't checked my sugar in a while but its never been a problem. I will get it checked if the symptoms persist. I drink an obscene amount of water because I take allergy meds regularly and they can be dehydrating. I migrated to OMAD from ADF and I was doing zero calorie days on my down days on ADF. I will give it another week and see if it continues. Thank you for your suggestions!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and I'm allergic to bananas and wheat. I don't get leg cramps. I haven't checked my sugar in a while but its never been a problem. I will get it checked if the symptoms persist. I drink an obscene amount of water because I take allergy meds regularly and they can be dehydrating. I migrated to OMAD from ADF and I was doing zero calorie days on my down days on ADF. I will give it another week and see if it continues. Thank you for your suggestions!

You may have full-on celiac's or another carb allergy. It would explain the symptoms also. Report back on it.
  • tashygolean730
    Options
    No I've been tested for celiac. My wheat allergy started out as just environmental when I was younger (harvesting/pollinating season was the worst). But if I eat too much of it, I get the same symptoms of congestion/sinus issues now that I'm older. I will give it another week since the only change has been moving to OMAD. If it persists daily, I will get my sugar checked.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Drinking too much water can cause fatigue sometimes. My son started getting really tired in the afternoons after drinking lots of water on a regular basis.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Have you had your mineral levels tested?
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    As I get older I get sleepy after dinner when I'm watching television. I remember my mother and father dozing after dinner. It may be as simple as that.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I used to get real tired after my evening eating. I would have to make sure I didn't fall asleep in the chair. I kind of liked it though because I slept really good! I don't notice it as much anymore. I would check the blood sugar though just to see if everything is good there.
  • secret_despair30
    secret_despair30 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    only sometimes. I get extremely depressed after the meal though. Some foods can cause u to temporarily feel lethargic like some meat and dairy.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    I'm just tired from getting up at 4:30 am to get ready for work and I get home at 3:30 - 4:00 pm and fix dinner. By the time I eat and clean up I'm beat so I guess I have a reason to be tired after dinner. ♥
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm just tired from getting up at 4:30 am to get ready for work and I get home at 3:30 - 4:00 pm and fix dinner. By the time I eat and clean up I'm beat so I guess I have a reason to be tired after dinner. ♥

Wow you get up really early. I struggle to get up at 6:30am !
  • tashygolean730
    Options
    It's been much better the last few days. I guess I just needed to adjust to one meal. Thanks again for all your help!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    It's been much better the last few days. I guess I just needed to adjust to one meal. Thanks again for all your help!

I like getting up early. When my children were young that was my alone time. I've always loved the sunrise and don't want to miss it.

I'm happy you're doing much better eating one meal. It's a process and give your body time to adjust to it and you will be amazed at the difference you feel. Your energy should spike and your sleep should get better.
  • tashygolean730
    Options

I like getting up early. When my children were young that was my alone time. I've always loved the sunrise and don't want to miss it.

I'm happy you're doing much better eating one meal. It's a process and give your body time to adjust to it and you will be amazed at the difference you feel. Your energy should spike and your sleep should get better.

Thanks again! I've been doing ADF for about 6 months. But I am dating a guy who is a total foodie so my 500 calorie or less days were getting harder and harder to hit consistently if he spontaneously wants to go out. With OMAD, I have a little more flexibility. I can plan to eat super healthy for dinner each night, but if he surprises me with a night out I can make it work pretty easily. I love the way fasting makes me feel!