Wine lover (or saving my carbs for wine

Almoshposh
Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
I love me a bold dry glass of red wine of an evening after a hard day at the jobbing place. Or six. I am definitely cutting back because I now know the carbs and calories really add up. Not to mention the agony of the next day if I over do it. Having said that, I don't think I'm prepared to completely abandon my good friend and I'm prepared to eat extra low carb during the day to fit in a glass or two in the evening. Has anyone else tried this harebrained scheme? And how did it affect your progress?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I'm low carb, not keto, so fitting in a glass or two of wine is not a problem for me!
  • Kodekai1988
    Kodekai1988 Posts: 49 Member
    I eliminated red wine for the first 2 months (ish) of keto but have recently reintroduced it. Mainly because I am very close to goal and confident in my ketosis and macro management.

Fair warning: first time I had the worst headache in the morning. But I had a few glasses last night and woke this morning with no side effects.

I eat very low carb in any case (10g carbs p/day typically, total not net) so if I'm drinking wine I tend to not have avocado that day (or just a bit) and make sure I know how much wine I am drinking, exactly. I do also make sure it fits vaguely within my calorie count but if I go over a bit don't fuss. Have not seen any negative side effects - still losing, still in ketosis.

I've seen other comment on their wine drinking I think - don't think it's too unusual...
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    I drink red wine a lot. It has never seemed to do anything to my progress or regress. Just look up the carbs if you are concerned and make it fit your goal.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    @neohdiver has some interesting n=1 insights on dry wine and blood glucose.
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    I save my carbs for wine too. It seems to slow down my weight loss just a little, but I'm close to my goal and happier with wine than losing quickly. It's all about finding the right balance. :)
  • Almoshposh
    Thank you all for you positive responses. I'm glad to hear that it is something that can work with this WOE.

@RalfLott do you think you could nudge @neohdiver to share his insights in this discussing?

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    By tagging @neohdiver, the nudge has already been delivered!
    If you're a wine lover <3, it will be worth waiting for. (Though YMMV, as with everything else....)
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    The first few months, I gave up wine (which I used to drink daily). I would drink rum or whiskey with diet soda instead on weekends only. The last few weeks I have had wine. Like everyone says, if you watch the other stuff (eating) and track everything you should be fine. Just watch the portions! my glasses at home are definitely not the standard 5oz. Sometimes I like to pretend they are, lol.
  • Almoshposh
    mbonacci12 wrote: »
    The first few months, I gave up wine (which I used to drink daily). I would drink rum or whiskey with diet soda instead on weekends only. The last few weeks I have had wine. Like everyone says, if you watch the other stuff (eating) and track everything you should be fine. Just watch the portions! my glasses at home are definitely not the standard 5oz. Sometimes I like to pretend they are, lol.

So do I! But I'm really working on measuring and logging everything. Honest ;) !
  • NatashaTM
    NatashaTM Posts: 28 Member
    I try to limit my wine intake to one weekend night and one weekday night. So 2 glasses a week. The weekday night, is a small glass, so I take the time and savour/appreciate the flavor and take water in between sips.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Dark chocolate and wine are the two things I will not give up. They are the last of my vices and I am keeping them both. I only have one glass of wine when I have it, but I have it. Eating LCHF, I find I get the desired relaxation result on the one glass. Carb wise, wine is pretty low to begin with, so fitting it in is easiepeasie. YMMV, oh and water should be drank in the same amounts as the wine otherwise the sulfates will get'cha. Cheers
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    By tagging @neohdiver, the nudge has already been delivered!
    If you're a wine lover <3, it will be worth waiting for. (Though YMMV, as with everything else....)
    This one?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10453373/alcohol-carbs-t2d-contd-from-just-blew-up-the-low-carb-life
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    I use to drink a glass of wine at night but I switched to gin and soda water with lime. It's an acquired taste because it is a bit bitter like high coco chocolate is.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    My name is Dawn and I am a wino. As long as I stick to low/no carb, I lose weight. On those odd weeks where I abstain, I loose twice as much but it comes at an emotional cost so I just accept that wine calories are part of my lifestyle. I only drink dry or dryish red wine so relatively low carb. And like @mbonacci12 pointed out, most of us do not drink a "5 oz portion"...my two daily glasses are at least 8 oz so I know I am consuming 3+ servings and have learned how to calculate that into my daily food/drink intake.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Almoshposh wrote: »
    Thank you all for you positive responses. I'm glad to hear that it is something that can work with this WOE.

@RalfLott do you think you could nudge @neohdiver to share his insights in this discussing?

Sorry I'm slow on the uptake . . . I've been avoiding social meda the last couple of days.

The liver dumps a background level of glucose into your bloodstream - that's how you keep from having hypoglycemia when you don't have any glucose from food coming in.

In people with a normal glucose metabolism when you start eating there is a 1st phase insulin response that sends a signal to the liver to stop the glucose dump becuase it isn't needed while there's incoming food. I use alcohol as a substitute for the first phase insulin response that I (and most T2 diabetics) have lost.

You should play with it cautiously for yourself, but for many people alcohol works similarly. The liver has a one-track "mind," and gives alcohol preference. So alcohol can turn off the background liver dump. Once it is done processing the alcohol, it goes back to work dumping glucose to keep you from going hypo.

For me- the glucose the liver is putting out all the time is roughly equivalent to 30 carbs. I can normally tolerate 20 carbs in one sitting and maintain normal blood glucose. I played around with different quantities of carbs beyone 20 to see when my blood glucose headed toward the red zone (anything above 140).

It turns out that when I have a glass of wine just as I start to eat I can tolerate about 50 grams of carbs (2.5 times my usual max). I use this regularly when I go out to eat at a place where I can't be certain of the carb content (they don't have nutritional information - or I don't trust it). I try to stick to my 20 grams per meal limit - but it gives me a bit of a buffer zone if something goes wrong. I also use it (rarely) if I feel like having a carby treat - a whole grain roll, for example. I just have to make sure that I count the carbs from the wine in the 50 carbs I have to spend for the meal.

I don't have any particular insights on keto, in the absence of diabetes, since I'm using alcohol (and low carb) to control some aspects of of my diabetes.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited January 2017
    @neohdiver, I neither drink alcohol nor have BG issues (that I'm aware of) but your post ^^ is incredibly interesting. Glad you were summoned to explain and share your N=1.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Love me some wine
  • Almoshposh
    Love me some wine

Bet you wrote that with a big grin on your face; )
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Almoshposh wrote: »
    Love me some wine

Bet you wrote that with a big grin on your face; )

I did! And just before hubs and I went out to dinner where I enjoyed some wine and a veggie burger on rye.
  • ellevin11
    ellevin11 Posts: 18 Member
    I have been having a about 4 oz -6 oz of red wine most nights (I measure it out) this week, partly because I love a glass of wine and partly for the health benefits -- plus I had a bottle I needed to use up;)

I do count the carbs as part of my day and only if I have not reached by 20 net carb limit will I have a glass and it doesn't interfere with my weight loss results if I am strict.