No or Low Carb healthy Fats

Options
NatashaTM
NatashaTM Posts: 28 Member
edited January 2017 in Social Groups
I need to get more fat in my diet. I am cooking with grass fed organic butter, and coconut oil, but I am running out of ideas in incorporating fat into my diet.

The thought of butter in my coffee kind of irks me.

I am currently pushing for under 20-25g carbs per day, I prefer my carbs to come from veggies if at all possible.

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    fatty meats ribeyes for ex.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I use blue cheese dressing on my salads and sometimes even add additional olive oil to it as well. Here is a good recipe for blue cheese dressing if you want one that will be better quality fats than most store bought kinds:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/blue-cheese-dressing

Many of the store bought are made with soybean oil which is one of the worst oils out there.

Avocado oil is another oil that can be added to salads, or just add the whole avocado which is low carb, high in good fats and can be added to lots of things.
  • NatashaTM
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I use blue cheese dressing on my salads and sometimes even add additional olive oil to it as well. Here is a good recipe for blue cheese dressing if you want one that will be better quality fats than most store bought kinds:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/blue-cheese-dressing

Many of the store bought are made with soybean oil which is one of the worst oils out there.

Avocado oil is another oil that can be added to salads, or just add the whole avocado which is low carb, high in good fats and can be added to lots of things.

I love blue cheese dressing, so will definitely try this recipe! Many thanks!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Salmon and whole eggs are my general go-to anymore. Barring those, I'll bust up some pecans or walnuts in one of my frozen protein sludges. Obviously that requires a very low carb powder though.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you finding yourself hungry too soon after meals? Because you don't have to eat a certain amount of fat. You just need each meal to have enough protein and fat that it satisfies you for several hours. If that's happening, you're doing just fine.
    xuwel5cen5dl.jpg

x4ybrxo5u5dd.jpg

This does NOT mean to eat low fat. It just means that part of your daily fat macro is supposed to be from your body.
  • NatashaTM
    Options
    Are you finding yourself hungry too soon after meals? Because you don't have to eat a certain amount of fat. You just need each meal to have enough protein and fat that it satisfies you for several hours. If that's happening, you're doing just fine.
    xuwel5cen5dl.jpg

x4ybrxo5u5dd.jpg

This does NOT mean to eat low fat. It just means that part of your daily fat macro is supposed to be from your body.

I am not hungry, but I feel like I am eating too much protein. I eat around 120g protein a day, is that too much?? I am trying to balance and I read increasing my fat will help balance.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    NatashaTM wrote: »
    xuwel5cen5dl.jpg

x4ybrxo5u5dd.jpg

I am not hungry, but I feel like I am eating too much protein. I eat around 120g protein a day, is that too much?? I am trying to balance and I read increasing my fat will help balance.

I keep my protein around 65-70. They say women should keep around 60-75g of protein. my fat is around 100 - 130g. your protein and fat amounts shouldn't be in the same range.
  • NatashaTM
    Options
    xuwel5cen5dl.jpg

x4ybrxo5u5dd.jpg

I keep my protein around 65-70. They say women should keep around 60-75g of protein. my fat is around 100 - 130g. your protein and fat amounts shouldn't be in the same range.

See that is where my problem is, I am consuming a lot of protein and low carb, so I have to up my fats
  • rjc992
    rjc992 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like macadamia nut oil as well. It has a bolder flavor and I like it in salad and with tuna fish dishes.
    I also have used red palm oil added to keto chili.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    xuwel5cen5dl.jpg

x4ybrxo5u5dd.jpg

See that is where my problem is, I am consuming a lot of protein and low carb, so I have to up my fats

Absolutely not. Adding more fat isn't going to accomplish anything other than slowing weight loss, unless you drop some of the protein in the process. This is why I hate percentage based macro setups.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    xuwel5cen5dl.jpg

x4ybrxo5u5dd.jpg

What you can get away with in terms of protein is highly variable. If you are IR, it is much lower than average. If you are very active (especially with strength training) it can be higher than average.

Even then, you have experts on the low end saying you only need 0.8 g per kg of lean body weight. You have those in the OKL crowd who say you should have a minimum of 2 g per kg of lean body weight.

Dr. Phinney, who, I think most in the keto community would call one of the leading experts, recommends 1.5-2.0 g per kg of your ideal body weight. This ideal body weight is a bit more flexible than lean body weight, but I think it is easier for most of us to guesstimate. So if your ideal body weight is 60 kg (132 lbs), then his range would be 90-120 g per day.

The low end guys (Jason Fung for example) for the same person would assume a 25% body fat for a woman which would take lean body mass down to 45 kg (99 lbs) and have the minimum be 36 g per day.

Those are HUGE variances which are all within the broadly accepted keto world. What you need to ask yourself is what level is right for YOU. If you are able to maintain ketosis at 120 g of protein per day and are not IR, you are probably OK. If you are finding you are going in and out of ketosis, you may need to lower your protein.

I have been experimenting for several months now and found based on my activity level (very high) and the fact I am not IR, I am able to easily stay in ketosis at the high end and sometimes even going a bit over Dr. Phinney's range. There are others in this group who struggle to get into ketosis without going all the way down to the Jason Fung levels.
  • NatashaTM
    Options
    What is IR?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    In this forum IR usually refers to Insulin Resistance.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    xuwel5cen5dl.jpg

x4ybrxo5u5dd.jpg

What you can get away with in terms of protein is highly variable. If you are IR, it is much lower than average. If you are very active (especially with strength training) it can be higher than average.

Even then, you have experts on the low end saying you only need 0.8 g per kg of lean body weight. You have those in the OKL crowd who say you should have a minimum of 2 g per kg of lean body weight.

Dr. Phinney, who, I think most in the keto community would call one of the leading experts, recommends 1.5-2.0 g per kg of your ideal body weight. This ideal body weight is a bit more flexible than lean body weight, but I think it is easier for most of us to guesstimate. So if your ideal body weight is 60 kg (132 lbs), then his range would be 90-120 g per day.

The low end guys (Jason Fung for example) for the same person would assume a 25% body fat for a woman which would take lean body mass down to 45 kg (99 lbs) and have the minimum be 36 g per day.

Those are HUGE variances which are all within the broadly accepted keto world. What you need to ask yourself is what level is right for YOU. If you are able to maintain ketosis at 120 g of protein per day and are not IR, you are probably OK. If you are finding you are going in and out of ketosis, you may need to lower your protein.

I have been experimenting for several months now and found based on my activity level (very high) and the fact I am not IR, I am able to easily stay in ketosis at the high end and sometimes even going a bit over Dr. Phinney's range. There are others in this group who struggle to get into ketosis without going all the way down to the Jason Fung levels.

Honestly, I was cool with Fung, until I realized that maintaining a state of ketosis has less to do with some arbitrary protein vs. fat level, and far more to do with simple carb restriction and energy expenditure. I maintained ketosis (though it wasn't a goal) through both of my RFL runs, which were (ahmaighad!) 90+% protein intake, with just EFAs and trace carbs/fats in plain chicken and fish. We're talking 300+g per day for my C1. Protein can (and will be) oxidized for energy in the absence of anything else (given that the body is burning fat as fast as is biologically possible and has bottlenecked).

Now, I'm not saying that anyone should do this (it's miserable), but the whole "too much protonz and not enough fat prevents keto" thing will never cease to annoy me.
  • NatashaTM
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

OK, I don't know if I'm insulin resistant. I'm losing weight quickly with a 100-120g protein intake, I'm not hungry at all, I eat plenty of veggies spinach broccoli mushrooms cauliflower. I am maintaining ketosis, but I do feel my energy is depleted.
  • NatashaTM
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am new to this and your insight is appreciated. I was more under the illusion that I needed to bring more fat in to the picture.
  • cstehansen
    Options

OK, I don't know if I'm insulin resistant. I'm losing weight quickly with a 100-120g protein intake, I'm not hungry at all, I eat plenty of veggies spinach broccoli mushrooms cauliflower. I am maintaining ketosis, but I do feel my energy is depleted.

Based on what you are saying, your low energy is almost certainly due to low electrolytes. Up your sodium. You can add salt to more foods, pick foods with higher sodium content (i.e. processed meat), drink some pickle juice, etc. Salt is your friend. I would be willing to put 10 to 1 odds that is your why your energy is low.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited January 2017
    Options

Based on what you are saying, your low energy is almost certainly due to low electrolytes. Up your sodium. You can add salt to more foods, pick foods with higher sodium content (i.e. processed meat), drink some pickle juice, etc. Salt is your friend. I would be willing to put 10 to 1 odds that is your why your energy is low.

This may well be it too. Never underestimate it's importance during carb restriction.

Using me as an example just to illustrate: I am currently bulking on roughly 36-3900 kcals/day utilizing 40/30/30 (p/f/c). If I let my sodium go over 2700 or so per day, I bloat and my blood pressure skyrockets. However, last summer when I was bulking at 27-3000 kcal/day using 40/55/5 (p/f/c), if I didn't keep sodium above 4800/day, I'd get lethargic, my lifts would suck, and more than once I just flat out crashed in the gym and had to call it a day.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Low energy when you're eating enough food overall is most certainly low sodium.