Success at 100 carbs and losing?

Options

Replies

• birdtobe
    birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat around 80-100g a day of carbs and so far it's been working well. I count my calories also, staying around 1400. Like you, I can't imagine NEVER being able to eat a bowl of cereal ever again, but I don't like the way eating carbs (especially refined carbs and sugar) messes with my hunger. I feel better when I can keep everything more level and stay in control of my appetite. For me, that's why staying "lower" carb has been really useful.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    @baconslave - maybe my body doesn't like me calling it "evil"?! I was agreeing with you that that is the way I feel! My post keeps getting cut off!

...sigh...MFP is ornery like that sometimes.

Were you posting from your phone and using emojis? There have been a number of reports lately on MFP that using the emojis from phones results in the following text being dumped.

If you use the happy face button above the post in the app, emojis work, but the coding in emojis scrambles the current interface in place.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this thread came up. I love seeing the "100 or under" low carb membership more active/posting their successes.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think this is what I'm looking to do as well! I have no interesting in going as low as keto, but I've noticed that simply by being conscious of carbs and making an effort to eat more protein and fat, it's really easy to be around 100g carbs.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm glad too @kpk54 ! I'm LCHF and I stay between 40-60 total most days because I'm T2D. I tried to do keto levels but didn't quite fit with my needs. I think people should start at 100 grams and work their way down. 100 grams of carbs a day is significantly less carbs than the typical SAD diet.
  • Patti2008
    Patti2008 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 100 carbs or under. I started out with keto but my mood hit the toilet. I need higher carbs to keep my neurotransmitters and my thyroid happy. I am losing weight and inches slowly. I am pre diabetic and started monitoring my blood sugars at home and they stay in the normal range with this level. Brain is happy, pancreas is happy, thyroid is happy so I am happy!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    In reality, just dumping or significantly limiting the processed carbs (table sugar, grains, flour based foods, etc.) is all most people need to do. If someone is highly IR or has some other medical or has an athletic goal in line with keto, then that is the better option. Of course, there are plenty of people who just prefer keto, which is fine also. I will continue to believe there is no WOE that is perfect for everyone.

Truth. +1. Worth repeating. All sentences.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread and for all who have contributed to it. I tried keto about a year ago and boy, did it mess with my bipolar big time. I've been contemplating going between 100-150g carbs a day... most coming in the form of beans and fruits. (working from 150g carbs to 100g a day over about 6 weeks). I've been eating like crap this past week and feel it all over.

This was very informative!! Thanks to all.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    In reality, just dumping or significantly limiting the processed carbs (table sugar, grains, flour based foods, etc.) is all most people need to do. If someone is highly IR or has some other medical or has an athletic goal in line with keto, then that is the better option. Of course, there are plenty of people who just prefer keto, which is fine also. I will continue to believe there is no WOE that is perfect for everyone.

What if the grains/flour based foods are homemade instead of store bought? Wouldn't that make it less "processed"? (sorry this is kinda off topic from the original thread)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

What if the grains/flour based foods are homemade instead of store bought? Wouldn't that make it less "processed"? (sorry this is kinda off topic from the original thread)

That depends on who you believe. There are many who point to the downside of all grains. Dr David Permutter wrote a book called Grain Brain which is not favorable at all.

I just listened to a presentation from Dr Michael Eades who discussed anthropological studies of Egyptians from a few thousand years ago whose primary diet was bread and more than 50% of them had at least early coronary artery disease by age 30. Granted their diet was WAY higher in grain than your would be, but it does correlate with evidence showing grain will raise your triglyceride levels and triglycerides are linked to artery damage.

I am not a doctor or researcher, but the only people who seem to be pushing grains of any kind are those like the USDA (who sets the US dietary guidelines) and ADA. Given the ADA dietary guidelines are clearly shown to make diabetes worse and the US is the fattest or 2nd fattest country in the world (we seem to be neck and neck with Mexico the last couple of years) with one of the highest rates of obesity, diabetes and heart disease, I am not sure I trust much of what they say.

As I keep saying though, there is no one size fits all. I would suggest you take a look at the health indicators that are most important to you (BG is mine) and see how it affects you at the volume you want to consume.
  • peggyd73
    peggyd73 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    For those that have tried higher low carb (~100 grams) - did you still follow other tenants of lchf (eat butter, bacon, et ) orndid you have to moderate fat as you increased carb?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

It's not really the processing that causes the issue - it's the body's response to the ingredient (grains like wheat or oats) that causes the issues. So, if you are sensitive to wheat or oats or anything else, making it at home does not mitigate the body's response.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    @peggyd73 i think I was lower carb (100 max) without consciously knowing I was. I was conscious of the carbs I ate but never looked at macros just calories, and did well. For me, I would miss carbs - even some not so great ones - but mentally I am fine with two French fries; I literally sprinkle rice on top of meat and veggies; end the day with a green apple; start the day with some berries; like toast but okay with half a slice; and enjoy pizza by ripping off a small corner piece of crust and eating the top. That way there's nothing I can't eat. It's when I gain after vacations, holidays, and stress (like now), I determine I must consciously go keto then realize that won't work for me. It's all mental!!! Arrrgh! As soon as I say to myself cut out x, y, z, that's all what I "want" - even when I don't! Go figure!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    peggyd73 wrote: »
    For those that have tried higher low carb (~100 grams) - did you still follow other tenants of lchf (eat butter, bacon, et ) orndid you have to moderate fat as you increased carb?

The only research that has shown dietary fat to be bad for you is when it is paired with high carb. That said, pairing of the food is something to look at. If you are staying around 100 g and spreading it through the day, then there shouldn't be a problem with the added fat. If, on the other hand you are getting the bulk of it by eating a bunch of fried starches (i.e. french fries) in one meal, then that is not healthy. A large fry from Wendy's for example has 70 g of carbs. That would be a bad way for you to get 70 of your 100.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    peggyd73 wrote: »

I wouldn't call what I eat low-fat. I did decrease fat intake from about 63% to 50%. I think that's still pretty high fat. I do still eat bacon and chicken thighs, cheese and pork rinds, I just lay off of the extra butter and oils a little.

• Patti2008
    Patti2008 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I avoid rice, grains, beans and corn. I get my carbs in fruits, vegetables and nuts-always paired with a fat or protein. I do not moderate my fat intake. The only fats I avoid are vegetable oils (other then olive oil.)
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It's weird because I am slowly getting back into low carb eating - averaging about 80 carbs a day/ 65 net and 1600 calories, but last night I terrible legs cramps. I thought I would have to be lower carb to get those (especially since some of those carbs were sugar). So I bought some magnesium, zinc, and potassium today - hopefully that will help.
    I'm wanting to go into ketosis by February for at least 3 weeks to see if I like it or not. I've never made it more than 3 days of super low carbs (<50 gr total) before. My settings are 94 gr carbs/92 gr fat/ 75 gr protein for the time being and 1500 calories.
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am so glad this thread came up. I have been staying so low carb that I have little appetite and am not eating enough. I was feeling great but lately have been feeling icky. I always feel better when I can eat a small baked potato with my steak or even a piece of toast with breakfast with cream cheese on it. I WANT so bad to up my carbs but something in my brain is keeping me from taking the plunge to go back up from Keto level carbs. I am at my original goal of 150lbs but decided to go for another 10-15lbs and scale is being stubborn.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Hi. Anyone experiencing or has experienced this? I have 15 pounds to lose but and had trouble sticking to keto, a little more success at sticking to 50, but thinking I can be more successful at 100. Lost only a pound in two weeks. Plus - everyone once in a blue moon, I'd really like a bagel, or bowl of apple cinnamon cheerios, oatmeal, but also feel like didn't blow the day, feel guilty etc. thoughts? Thanks!

This is a YMMV. When I was actively losing fat I did have less than 120-ish gr net starch per day. BUT, I was also very physically active and did lots of IF protocols stacked on top. Exercise is an excellent glucose disposal method. IF makes it more likely that the fat you're burning is body fat rather than dietary fat.

I'd recommend to do some research on how and the reasonings why lowcarb works for fat loss and better health. The Launchpad in this group is a good place to start☺

That being said, I don't think any food is forbidden...As long as those desires are exceptions to your daily habits. I'm also a big advocate for eating nutrient dense foods. Sweet tasting foods used to be a treat...something only indulged in during the weekends or special occasions.

If the foods you want do NOT trigger fake hunger or more cravings, then you're probably fine. But if you find they do lead to increased appetite, through self experimenting, then you'll have to ask yourself what you want most. Being aware of your food patterns is a huge help in fat loss journey. Good luck!