Book I am finding very helpful.

Options
carimiller7391
carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
I checked the "Beating Sugar Addiction for Dummies" from the library. Through almost the entire book right now. It definitely has made a LOT of sense to me and has made me realize just how much damaged I was doing to my body and have done to my body in the past. Although it doesn't promote a LCHF way of eating, it does help you understand insulin resistance, blood pressure, cholesterol, arthritis, cancer, Alzheimers, and a whole host of others and how high sugars attribute to all of those diseases. I NEVER KNEW and now that I know... heck no, won't be putting any more poison in my body. It even talks about artificial sweeteners being poison to your body. I have an awesome friend (@knitormiss) who has tried really hard to explain this info to me. Wasn't until I got this book it all clicked for me.

I know I don't necessarily do LC by definition, but I started yesterday keeping carbs under 150 grams which is great for a self-proclaimed carbaholic. I'm trying very hard to only get in carbs from veggies and fruit once in a blue moon. I want to work down to 100g of carbs per day slowly. I tried VLC before and failed. Urges and cravings wore me down big time. I'm trying to find my sweet spot that allows me to lose the weight I need to lose.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am always excited when someone mentions a LCHF book that I haven't read yet. I'm running out of new reads. ;)
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    @nvmomketo You're welcome. It's not necessarily a LCHF book. It more tells you how to break your sugar addiction (if you're like me and have a serious sugar addiction).
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    @nvmomketo You're welcome. It's not necessarily a LCHF book. It more tells you how to break your sugar addiction (if you're like me and have a serious sugar addiction).

Sugar has been my downfall.
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Gotcha @nvmomketo . I definitely can relate to that.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    from the library
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Thank you! I am always excited when someone mentions a LCHF book that I haven't read yet. I'm running out of new reads. ;)

I found this bad boy at random at the library:

ykww3ul.jpg
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    from the library
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I found this bad boy at random at the library:

ykww3ul.jpg

Bummer. I can't find that one in my city library, or any library in my province. :(

But then I found Dr Gott's No Sugar, No Flour Diet. He allows whole grains I think but its worth a peek.
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Oh cool. Thanks for sharing the book. I'll definitely have to check this out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    While I decided to strictly limit added sugar and refined carbs before the books came out, the original South Beach Diet book and especially the South Beach Diet Super Charged (not low carb either, really), helped me understand sugar, glycemic load, and cravings, and what not.

Ive been eating "SLOW carb" for about 15 years now.

It's great when it clicks.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    The book that got me started on this journey was "Protein Power" by Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades. Pretty middle of the road which may not suit everyone's needs. I only had about 25 pounds to lose and sugar was never my nemesis.

https://www.amazon.com/Protein-Power-High-Protein-Low-Carbohydrate-ealth-ebook/dp/B002SXIENW/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485180884&sr=1-1&keywords=protein+power
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the book suggestions. Will look for them.

@carimiller7391 there are a number of us eating between 50-150 carbs. I have worked down to 70-100 with good fiber count and my body seems to like it there.