Eyesight

Options
allie2girlz
allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
I am nearsighted, can't see far away. I got my first pair of glasses my sophomore year in high school, and after I turned 20 my prescription hasn't changed for almost 20 years which is normal according to my eye doctor. I went for my annual vision exam last week and the optometrist asked me if I have had a physical in the past year. I told her I had not but need to schedule my woman annual. She said my eyes had changed quite a bit, and she usually doesn't see that unless there is something medical going on. My eyesight has improved by 3 steps! I told her that I have changed my diet drastically in the past year and eat very low carb. She was intrigued but still baffled and wants me to get a medical checkup. I have heard of this way of eating improving diabetics damaged eyesight but never dreamed it would improve my regular o' nearsightedness!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    WOW - that's awesome, way to rack up an unexpected benefit!!!
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2008 and after the significant weight loss my eye sight improved and I no longer need to wear glasses. Weight loss can help with all sorts of things.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I am only 2 weeks in and have noticed my eyesight is worse lol but perhaps it is one of those, gets worse before it gets better type thing.
    That is awesome for you!
  • allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I am only 2 weeks in and have noticed my eyesight is worse lol but perhaps it is one of those, gets worse before it gets better type thing.
    That is awesome for you!

I knew I could not see as well out of my current glasses, I was thinking maybe because they are old and scratched. It was actually because they are too strong. I hope you get a pleasant surprise next time you go to eye doc!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @baconslave - Do we have an eye related resource topic?
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Yep, after I found out I was diabetic and started working to get my sugar down and leveled off my glucose readings my eyesight improved drastically. My optometrist told me that it was exactly getting the blood sugar under control.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @baconslave - Do we have an eye related resource topic?

Not yet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    About 6 years ago at age 60 I realized my distance vision was better if I pulled off my near sighted corrective lens. The old term for that is called "Second Sight" and I knew to expect cataracts to follow. I go see the optometrist near me that we went through optometry school together and he showed me early lens changes as was to be expected.

Four years ago I got my need for corrective lens restriction removed from my driver's license and each year Joe would say "I really expected your cataract development by now. Last Dec (2016) still no real clouding of the lens in my eyes. This was after 2 years of LCHF and he said he expected it was due to my way of eating changes.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2005/07/06/carbohydrates-and-cataracts/The authors summarized:

"In summary, carbohydrate intake was positively associated with the odds of early cortical opacities in middle-aged women. Because carbohydrate foods represent the main energy source for humans, understanding the potentially harmful effects of a high-carbohydrate diet on the lens is important and worthy of further study."
    Indeed!

Nutritional Ketosis is far from just another fad diet.

Somehow at the age of 66 I can read posts like this on my smart phone for hours but it is not as comfortable as with reading glasses naturally.
  • ut26a22
    ut26a22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I actually have worse vision the last month or two (started Keto 1-6-17). I am normally a little bit farsighted but not so much that I need glasses. Lately I have a very narrow range where I can see small things up close (for me that is about 12-15 inches away) and I can't see as far away as I am used to. Maybe it is just age related but it is a bummer. I had a sliver the other day and couldn't focus well enough to take it out myself. Guess it is time to see the optometrist.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    My eyesight improved enough that I needed new glasses and that's in my early 50's. I have always been very nearsighted (-5.5 now) but I am avoiding progressives so far and also use monovision contact lenses (left for close up, right for distance). If I really need to see tiny things clearly (like a sliver) I have to take my glasses off/lenses out and get it 6 inches from my nose, lol.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hmm, interesting. I wish I could say that this WOE improved my eyesight, but alas, it has not. Growing up as a child I was far-sighted in one eye and near-sighted in the other one. When I was in third grade, my father took me to get my vision checked and I was (at that time) legally blind in my left eye. We also discovered that I had an astigmatism in the lens of my left eye and that that particular eye was a "lazy eye" as well. I remember that for the next few months my father made me wear an eye-patch over my good eye whenever I wanted to watch TV in order to strengthen the muscles of that eye (so not kidding about this!). As a child, I absolutely detested that but it worked. lol Around 2006 or 2007, I decided to bite the bullet and had laser eye surgery on my left eye to correct the astigmatism and also improve the vision. Best thing I ever did. Vision went from 20/60 to 20/25. What used to be my "bad eye" is now my "good eye." lol Since switching over a Keto lifestyle in September of 2014, there have been no noticeable improvements in my vision and my vision does tend to change a little bit every year. I am not posting this to get anyone's hope down. I am posting this merely to illustrate that this WOE effects different people's bodies in different ways, that's all.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting. I wish I could say that this WOE improved my eyesight, but alas, it has not. Growing up as a child I was far-sighted in one eye and near-sighted in the other one. When I was in third grade, my father took me to get my vision checked and I was (at that time) legally blind in my left eye. We also discovered that I had an astigmatism in the lens of my left eye and that that particular eye was a "lazy eye" as well. I remember that for the next few months my father made me wear an eye-patch over my good eye whenever I wanted to watch TV in order to strengthen the muscles of that eye (so not kidding about this!). As a child, I absolutely detested that but it worked. lol Around 2006 or 2007, I decided to bite the bullet and had laser eye surgery on my left eye to correct the astigmatism and also improve the vision. Best thing I ever did. Vision went from 20/60 to 20/25. What used to be my "bad eye" is now my "good eye." lol Since switching over a Keto lifestyle in September of 2014, there have been no noticeable improvements in my vision and my vision does tend to change a little bit every year. I am not posting this to get anyone's hope down. I am posting this merely to illustrate that this WOE effects different people's bodies in different ways, that's all.

You was blessed with a father that prevented you from losing vision in the unpatched eye.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    You was blessed with a father that prevented you from losing vision in the unpatched eye.

@GaleHawkins ...yeah, I know that now as an adult but as I child of course I didn't understand this. All I knew back then was that it was no longer enjoyable watching TV because I couldn't actually see a darn thing!! LOL ;)