My protein options

Options
nlwright4
nlwright4 Posts: 11 Member
I was told in another post that I should avoid whey protein powders since they are insulinogenic (stimulate insulin release). For the past three week I have been using the Pure Protein 100% Whey powder. That was just one of the option the doctor gave me there were two others: Optimum Nutrition 100% Soy Protein or GNC® Pro Performance® Soy Protein 95 Powder

Any opinions. I just want to maximize the affects of ketosis. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• nlwright4
    nlwright4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also I should add the VLCD I am on calls for three of these shakes per day.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any vegan protein options like pumpkin seed or pea protein or brown rice protein ( they are all quite low in carbs)?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Soy is even more insulin spiking tham whey.

Check out MyProtein's Milk Protein Smooth powders. It's MPC, which is non-isolated milk protein, which is 20% whey and 80% casein. It's thicker than what you're used to, but that's because of the casein. You'll probably also notice it takes a lot longer to feel hungry, which is also due to the high casein content.

You could also opt for a straight micellar casein, but those can be almost unbearable to drink, unless you like a REALLY thick shake. They're also a *kitten* to blend well unless you use and actual blender. The MPC does fine in a shaker bottle, though it does take a bit more work than whey.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I use eidopro pure whey powder, expensive bugger, but I like it and I appreciate that it doesn't have a bunch of other "stuff" in it. Honestly, I dont know, about its affects on insilun.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    I use eidopro pure whey powder, expensive bugger, but I like it and I appreciate that it doesn't have a bunch of other "stuff" in it. Honestly, I dont know, about its affects on insilun.

If it's whey, ot's gonna cause a rise, unless you consume it with a LOT of something else to slow absorption. That's just how whey is.