Any Sugar??

Options
Hey guys! I'm still really new to the Keto lifestyle so this may be a really dumb question, but do you allow yourself any sugar? I don't mean every day I mean maybe once a week and just a tiny bit like a small piece of chocolate or one bite of cake, and not enough to go over your carb allowance. I haven't had any sugar at all in 14 days but I would love just a small bite of something within my carb allowance, but does sugar even a little have a chance of kicking you out of ketosis?

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I do eat 90% dark chocolate ...or fat bombs maybe twice or three times a week ...
  • chelseabarnwell42
    chelseabarnwell42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    @ms_smartypants Thank you! I need to look into making some fat bombs!
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I eat 100g of strawberries and a small bowl of (homemade) choc mousse (whipped heavy cream, cocoa, stevia) pretty much everyday for dessert & remain in ketosis. I do use stevia in some things, which adds sweetness. I also love dark choc and make peanut butter choc fat bombs that live in the freezer and I have one every day with my afternoon (coconut milk) coffee! Also, knowing I can eat these yummy things gets me out of bed to run everyday so I can still lose weight and not feel deprived! You just need to find what you love that can fit in with your macros/calories. Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Usually end up with somewhere between 2-10 g of sugar per day from my foods. I don't eat table sugar, but I will eat a bit of chocolate with sugar now and then. I do try to choose sugar-free options when I can. I even found chocolate with sugar alcohols in it which is quite good.... and I won't eat too much because of the effect that the sugar alcohol has on my, ahem, bathroom habits. LOL ;)
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    @LittleL78 thank you those are great ideas that I wouldn't feel too guilty about!
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    @nvmomketo thank you its good to know I could probably include a tiny amount of sugar in my diet and I need to look for sugar free options. I bought some salted caramel herbal tea today no sugar no carbs. I wasn't expecting it to be good but its actually delicious with some stevia and cured my sweet tooth, at least for tonight haha
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share that you'll probably find your tastes changing over time, the longer you go without sugar. So don't be afraid to try new things that once may not have appealed to you. It's funny how different things taste when you're no longer consuming the massive amounts of sugar in a SAD diet. I never thought I could drink tea and coffee without any type of sugar - real or fake and now it tastes awful to me when it is sweetened (I accidentally took a sip of my husband's coffee once and it was horrible! So weird).

But to answer your actual question, on special occasions (Xmas, birthdays), I have some fruit - strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries. And on a pretty regular basis, I'll have a 2.4 g square of 99%Lindt chocolate with a nice hot cup of coffee with double cream, it's an acquired taste, but I find it's a really nice way to end the day. I take teeny tiny nibbles and let it melt on my tongue with the coffee, the tastes complement each other. Less often, I have 1/2 a square of 90% Lindt chocolate, but I dont really find it as flavourful and satisfying as the 99% anymore.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I would caution on sugar is to ease in slowly and see if the sugar triggers any carb cravings for you... if it doesn't, then allow yourself some low sugar fruit like berries (any of the small berries are low sugar) or some really dark (70% cocoa or higher) chocolate. I personally don't eat sugar except for the small amounts in dairy - I switched over to full carnivore 2 weeks ago and I am loving it!
  • binabodu
    binabodu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I waited at least a month before introducing sweets to curb my cravings. Now I have 90% dark chocolate a couple times a week.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I found that after eating this way for a few months, my taste buds improved and everything started tasting better. Also, things you would never think of as sweet actually tasted sweet. Cashews, which I don't eat often, are very sweet when you haven't been regularly eating sweets. Even foods like celery and sweet peppers are actually sweet.

I think, for me, it is better to not eat sugar at all other than the little bit that naturally occurs in some of the veggies I eat. It is kind of like when I first quit smoking but would smoke just at my monthly poker games. It only made me want to smoke at other times. After I quit smoking at the poker games, it soon got to the point that the idea of smoking any other time was no longer appealing. The same has happened with sugar.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I eat a square of Lindt 90% chocolate fairly often. I also have Halo Top ice cream a couple of times a week. It's mostly sweetened with stevia and erythritol. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol but it doesn't seem to upset my digestion. Otherwise any sugar I have is usually in berries or a tiny bit of bbq sauce, ketchup, or other prepared product. So far I keep it low enough I've not had cravings.
  • allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sugar is evil and highly addictive. I was addicted prior to this way of eating. I do eat up to 1 square of 90% dark chocolate a day if i want it. I also do not feel the need to binge on it and eat the whole bar like I used to when I had other chocolates in the house prior to this way of eating. I am completely satisfied after 1 square! If I felt like it had a hold over me like sugar used to I would eliminate eating it. Life is too short.
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I was having such a horrible craving last night but found that some herbal tea with Stevia helped cure it! I can already tell my taste buds are changing and adapting to my new way of eating so I hope any cravings will soon disappear. I need to look into the Halo Top ice cream since ice cream is my biggest weakness! Sugar is definitely evil and highly addictive I'm going to keep going with my no sugar except tiny amounts I may get from certain foods.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I was having such a horrible craving last night but found that some herbal tea with Stevia helped cure it! I can already tell my taste buds are changing and adapting to my new way of eating so I hope any cravings will soon disappear. I need to look into the Halo Top ice cream since ice cream is my biggest weakness! Sugar is definitely evil and highly addictive I'm going to keep going with my no sugar except tiny amounts I may get from certain foods.

Ice cream was really the only desert that I really liked. I was never a cake/cookie person and donuts were just ok. For a long time, I used to eat 3-5 large Dairy Queen Blizzards a week PLUS about a half gallon of ice cream at home. This was back when I thought my philosophy of "I will work out as much as I have to in order to eat what I want when I want and how much I want" was a good idea.

I know that is the one thing I have to avoid. If I start eating ice cream, it is all over for me. That is my "crack."
  • chelseabarnwell42
    Options
    @cstehansen I am the same way I don't really care for baked goods and I'm not a big chocolate person but I could live off of ice cream. You bring up a very good point of avoiding something that could trigger a serious craving for me!