Weight Fluctuations

Options
JamesAztec
JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
Over the past few years I've had this debate (with myself and others) over how often to weigh. Seems most of us on these boards (although not most "regular" people I know) weigh ourselves either once a day or about once a week. Someone turned me on to the Trend Weight a while back and I've been using it ever since. It uses and algorithm to give you a rolling average. And a nice little graph to show you what direction your going. So, if you have an outlier scale reading it doesn't affect your weight too much. Below is my graph if anyone wants to check it out. I'd recommend using it for people who are obsessing about their weight too much.

My Trend Weight

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @Aztec4Life I weigh myself officially every Saturday at 7 am. Even though I had surgery I continue to go to my Weight Watchers meetings though only a couple of people know I had it. Not sure how people would view my having surgery there. The ones that know are supportive but I need to keep myself accountable every week. It had become part of my routine, plus there are some good takeaways.

If I feel I went a bit off the rails, I do check my home scale so that I can correct myself as soon as possible.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Aztec4Life, I weigh daily. However, Sunday is my official weigh in day. If my weight is up two Sunday's in a row I know I've really gained weight and I need to take it back to the basics. I'm honestly afraid to not weigh daily. In all my other weigh losses in the past I stopped weighing and gained the weight back. I need the daily reminder that my weight is still within my guidelines.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I'm currently only weighing in once a week but I weighed nearly every day for more than a year after my surgery.

I had a DEXA scan done at the end of December and showed as quite lean. The surgeon's office said that I should be focusing on maintenance.

I can gain up to 7 pounds immediately preceding "that" time of the month. Water retention is part of it...the insatiable appetite for bread is the rest of it...lol.

I like that concept of Trend Weight though...because I like numbers and patterns.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The trend weight is pretty cool, but personally I have tried not to stress myself about weighing very often. I find that personally when I weight daily or every couple of days, upward fluctuations or even a stagnant measurement really piss me off and make me feel like I am busting my hump for nothing. I've even gone from weighing once per week to once every two weeks.

I become too hung up on an arbitrary number on a scale, when the fact that my pants are looser or my belt has to be tightened is more telling.

like @Ultima_Morpha I too like numbers and patterns, but I can see the downward slope when I check my weight trend here and that is good enough for me.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day because I like to track my fluctuations. I don't really have an official weigh-in day though. As long as the graph is trending downwards, I'm happy.
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on days when I "feel" fat or thin just to see if I am right. LOL
    That feeling is based on hydration more than anything else. I look for my own trends on Mondays. That is the day I track it here.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    At my one year appointment my surgeon was happy to hear I weigh daily. He said at this point, it's important to see when you're up and down to be able to catch the why easier. If I see an upward trend over three or four days, and it's not around my period, I know it's time to buckle down. That way, I'm not worrying about why my fat pants aren't fitting, I caught it before my current pants are too tight.
  • leahjhess
    leahjhess Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find weighing in every two weeks to be a the best schedule for me.
    I feel like I'm not obsessing but still being accountable.