How do u Get and Stay motivated to Exercise?

Options
I'm 53...50 lbs overweight...So out of shape...Embarssed about my body...Really affects my daily life..I've been eating healthy since Jan 1, 2017 few fails, logging my food, staying with in my calories daily, drinking tons of H20, walking about 2.5 -5 miles a day... taking vitamins,But not exercising...Not motivated..So I work with a young lady 27 years old who competes,swim suit competitions etc..I ask her to help me be my personal trainer...She said yes...So I'm meeting her at her gym this Thursday...Im excited...then hopefully I can join gym by my home and be consistent...I've been down this road before...but that's in the past...Hopeful I will stay on the path...How do u stay motivated?

Replies

• nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I find that if I log my food, no matter if I'm over on calories or not, it helps me stay on track. I'm also trying to get 25 g of fiber everyday, so I log in to make sure I track that. It really helps because I can't keep track in my head throughout the day (so I have to log in).

It's great to have a trainer! Sounds like you are off to a terrific start (or restart, like me :* )
    Good luck!
  • ambootcamp
    ambootcamp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit flex 2 for Christmas and it has been a big motivator for me. I had surgery on my hand 10 days ago, so I have not been able to go to my regular bootcamp exercise class. Instead I've been doing stairs at home and walking. I actually did 54 flights of stairs the other day and I average 15000 steps. I work from home so every hour I make sure I do atleast 5 flights of stairs and walk around the house a few minutes. The fit bit helps you see what you actually do so you can go just a bit further the next day. It's working for me.
  • nmcknny
    Options
    That is alot of stairs!
  • ambootcamp
    Options
    I don't recommend doing that many stairs unless you have been exercising and it is safe to do so. Start slow. If you have to start with just 3 steps, start with 3 steps. Tomorrow maybe you can do 4. The worse thing is to end up hurting yourself and getting frustrated. Look for improvement over time. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Try and beat yourself!
  • nmcknny
    Options
    I've been counting walking I do for errands, which adds up, but not like those stairs :)
  • ambootcamp
    Options
    I said earlier that I have a fit bit flex. It is actually a fit bit charge 2. They do different things and I really like the charge 2.
  • nmcknny
    Options
    I bought a cheap "look alike" to try out and at least count my steps but I can't seem to wear it. I'm afraid a nicer one would just sit on my dresser, too.