BCAAs, Keto, and Orangetheory Fitness

Options
As the title suggests, I've spoken to several sports nutritionists and it has been recommended that I supplement with BCAAs (branch chain amino acids) during my workouts to help my body retain it's lean muscle mass since I follow a ketogenic WOE.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I am 295 lbs currently and started OTF 2 weeks ago. I am trying to go 4 to 5 times a week, and want to maintain or increase my lean muscle as I continue on my weight loss journey. I figure this would be the best place to poke around and ask!

Any other OTF members here?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Unless your protein intake is a joke, or you are getting it from half-assed sources, BCAAs are pointless. I mean, use them if you want, but make no mistake, they are not "free protein", in the sense that isolated BCAAs have more kcals per gram than whole proteins (they're closer to 6.3/g).
  • MarissaTriesAgain
    MarissaTriesAgain Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Unless your protein intake is a joke, or you are getting it from half-assed sources, BCAAs are pointless. I mean, use them if you want, but make no mistake, they are not "free protein", in the sense that isolated BCAAs have more kcals per gram than whole proteins (they're closer to 6.3/g).

I'm 5'7", 26 year old female at 295lbs, 49.5% bf. According to my Inbody analysis I have about 145 lbs lean body mass, so I've been shooting for about 145g of protein a day (mostly from meat and eggs, a tiny bit is from dairy). Do you think I would benefit from using them?
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm 5'7", 26 year old female at 295lbs, 49.5% bf. According to my Inbody analysis I have about 145 lbs lean body mass, so I've been shooting for about 145g of protein a day (mostly from meat and eggs, a tiny bit is from dairy). Do you think I would benefit from using them?

Not unless that protein is literally all you are eating. Basically, the higher your bodyfat, the deeper into caloric debt you can go without sacrificing appreciable muscle tissue, so long as protein needs are met (yours are fine, though I'd personally increase it, because I am a high-protein fanatic). That said, if you're that worried about it, eat some chicken, eggs, beef, or whey protein powder an hour before you workout.

Your wallet will thank you for not paying $50 per pound for Kool-Aide flavored protein.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Generally, the only true recommendation I have heard specifically for BCAA's is for older women, to ensure they don't deplete their body's resources during intense workouts.

Remember, too, that generally based on height and frame, there is a max amount of lean muscle mass that can be maintained without extreme measures. I know that at 5'4", I was told that anything over 110-120 pounds of lean muscle mass would require regular and intense/extreme exercising to ever maintain, once at at healthy weight. Basically, our body has a level system, and there's a comfort zone it will cling to unless you're following a specific protein and weight/workout protocol 5+ days a week...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Generally, the only true recommendation I have heard specifically for BCAA's is for older women, to ensure they don't deplete their body's resources during intense workouts.

Remember, too, that generally based on height and frame, there is a max amount of lean muscle mass that can be maintained without extreme measures. I know that at 5'4", I was told that anything over 110-120 pounds of lean muscle mass would require regular and intense/extreme exercising to ever maintain, once at at healthy weight. Basically, our body has a level system, and there's a comfort zone it will cling to unless you're following a specific protein and weight/workout protocol 5+ days a week...

Well, I do believe that it still has it's place in two areas:

1: fasted cardio, but only worth it if you're one of those HIIT nutjobs. Screw that noise.

2: running an extreme deficit, such as I do during my RFL cuts, and even then, only worth bothering with if you're already relatively lean (15% or less for men, or whatever that translates to for women, like 20?)
  • Be9465
    Be9465 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been supplementing with BCAA'S during fasted cardio, and before and during my fasted strength training. Naturally fell into IF at like 20:4 only eat a decent sized meal and a snack. I've no clue if the BCAA'S are helping or not cause I didn't workout without them. I'm down with it just being a placebo effect, because it's still an effect. Have had gains every week the past 6 weeks. So if ya don't mind paying for overpriced kool-aid, and you feel like it helps I say rock it for a spell I do. If not, it may be useless, but it is oh so tasty and makes me feel like I'm taking something that is helping me. If you still want a sweet flavour for your water during workouts just throw some crystal light in a gallon jug and shake the duece out of it and pour in your shaker cup. I've read that it helps prevent catabolism of muscle, but I've also read that Frodo Baggins destroyed the one ring to rule them all?
  • Misskim121211
    Misskim121211 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I drink my BCAAs during my work outs. I get sick of water really fast so it helps me stay hydrated.
    I might be crazy but the one thing I find is that it really helps me with muscle recovery! It might all be in my head but I swear I am not as sore when I use them. I stopped using them for a while and noticed that I was always sore so I went back to taking it.
    Like I said might all be in my head..lol
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I visited the recently opened Orange Theory Fitness location in our town because I was intrigued with the idea of a class based workout that still uses the kind of fitness equipment I like. A 15 minute visit was enough for me -- between the music blaring at about 110 decibels and the instructors' voices screaming over the same sound system, it was torture. The nice young lady showing me around offered me some of the earplugs kept on hand for members' use, so I'm obviously not the only person who objects. If that place was a factory, OSHA would require hearing protection devices.
  • MarissaTriesAgain
    MarissaTriesAgain Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I visited the recently opened Orange Theory Fitness location in our town because I was intrigued with the idea of a class based workout that still uses the kind of fitness equipment I like. A 15 minute visit was enough for me -- between the music blaring at about 110 decibels and the instructors' voices screaming over the same sound system, it was torture. The nice young lady showing me around offered me some of the earplugs kept on hand for members' use, so I'm obviously not the only person who objects. If that place was a factory, OSHA would require hearing protection devices.

So sorry to hear that :( at my studio the music is loud enough to keep everyone pumped but DEFINITELY not uncomfortable.